Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
We at BSUH are currently treating only 3 inpatients with COVID-19, NONE of whom are in Critical Care.

Now that's the kind of news I can get behind. Not wishing to drift from good news but seeking clarity. The weekly new cases update has 6 in the last 7 days following 0 in the previous 7. Is this all settings now as I'm sure it used to be just nhs

Yoda

English & European
Now that's the kind of news I can get behind. Not wishing to drift from good news but seeking clarity. The weekly new cases update has 6 in the last 7 days following 0 in the previous 7. Is this all settings now as I'm sure it used to be just nhs

Yes, they are currently giving cases from Pillar 1 & 2 by date of sample. Gives us a much more accurate scope.

Yoda

English & European
Only 398 new cases :ohmy:
CV update.png

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
398 new cases 10 days after the pubs reopened, well into the later stages and less likely incubation period. (Most common is 4-6 days)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
398 new cases 10 days after the pubs reopened, well into the later stages and less likely incubation period. (Most common is 4-6 days)

But....but...Sharon of facebook wailed and said......etc

The phased implementation of lockdown easing does seem to be getting the right results - whether coincidence or the effect of good planning I don't know, but the results are hugely encouraging. Hope this continues as it'll lead to further relaxation.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
But....but...Sharon of facebook wailed and said......etc

The phased implementation of lockdown easing does seem to be getting the right results - whether coincidence or the effect of good planning I don't know, but the results are hugely encouraging. Hope this continues as it'll lead to further relaxation.

I could even start to believe in crowds at football by christmas at this rate

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Think it'll be earlier than that - start of the season with reduced capacity likely I reckon. The binfest that will create will be INCREDIBLE :D

You don’t deserve to go Daz :bigwave:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Other point worth noting - as seems normal now - is that patients were aged between 49 and 94 years old, and only one person (aged 71) had no known underlying health conditions. Not far off the 'why even bother reporting it' stage......imagine that will only be after we get to zero and have a run of days with no deaths.....

Piers Plonker would be redundant ..now that would be good news

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Very pleased to see a sub 400, hope that continued decreasing. I believe antibody tests are included in the numbers, does anyone know if there’s anywhere we can see a breakdown?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Forget Adam Lallana its Fifi the Llama we need to support.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/science-environment-53369103

As Fifi the llama munches on grass on a pasture in Reading, her immune system has provided the template for a coronavirus treatment breakthrough.

Scientists from the*UK's Rosalind Franklin Institute*have used Fifi's specially evolved antibodies to make an immune-boosting therapy.

The resulting llama-based, Covid-specific "antibody cocktail" could enter clinical trials within months.

The development is*published in Nature Structural and Molecular Biology*.

It involves "engineering" llama antibodies, which are relatively small, and much more simply structured than the antibodies in our own blood. That size and structure means they can be "redesigned" in the lab.

Unlocking coronavirus

Professor James Naismith, director of the Rosalind Franklin Institute - and the lead researcher - described the technique as akin to cutting a key that fits the coronavirus lock.

"With the llama's antibodies, we have keys that don't quite fit - they'll go into the lock but won't turn all the way round," he said.

"So we take that key and use molecular biology to polish bits of it, until we've cut a key that fits.

There is already evidence that antibody-rich blood, taken from people who have recently recovered from the coronavirus, could be used as a treatment. But the key trick with this llama-derived antibody therapy is that the scientists can produce coronavirus-specific antibodies to order.

The small re-engineered part of the llama antibody is also known as a nanobody, said Prof Naismith.

In the lab, we can make nanobodies that kill the live virus extremely well - better than almost anything we've seen," he added. "They're incredibly good at killing the virus in culture."

The nanobodies do that by binding - or locking onto - what is known as the "spike protein" on the outside of the virus capsule; disabling that spike prevents it from gaining access to human cells.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Lots of good news today:

A new study shows the*rate of coronavirus infections in England significantly reduced*before lockdown eased in May.

The government-commissioned research by Imperial College showed there were on average 13 positive cases for every 10,000 people and the reproduction number - or R - was 0.57.

At the time, the R number had been estimated to be between 0.7 and 1.

The study of 120,000 volunteers suggested young adults aged 18 to 24 and people of Asian ethnicity were more likely to test positive.

Researchers also found care home workers were at greater risk of being infected during lockdown than the general population.

And the study showed 69% of those who did test positive reported no symptoms on the day of their test or the previous week, though they may have developed symptoms later.
‐--------
More than one million people in the UK have*given up smoking since the pandemic hit,*a survey for charity Action on Smoking and Health (Ash) suggests.

Of those who quit in the previous four months, 41% said it was in direct response to coronavirus.
‐-----------
US infectious disease chief Dr Anthony Fauci has welcomed the news a vaccine trial is about to enter its final phase.

The vaccine, developed by the US pharmaceutical company Moderna, has already proved safe and provoked immune responses in all 45 volunteers in phase-one trials.

The last stage of the trials is expected to begin later this month and will involve recruiting 30,000 participants in the US.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-53413107

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here