Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
I mentioned Lat week st Thomas itu numbers dropping
Spoke to a different friend today who works at kings in Denmark hill london.
He reports the same dropping admissions and less in hospital
Staff who were redeployed to the nightingale coming back to kings as quiet there.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I mentioned Lat week st Thomas itu numbers dropping
Spoke to a different friend today who works at kings in Denmark hill london.
He reports the same dropping admissions and less in hospital
Staff who were redeployed to the nightingale coming back to kings as quiet there.

Daughter's hospital has now gone a full week with no CV19 deaths at all. Wards are nowhere near capacity.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Daughter's hospital has now gone a full week with no CV19 deaths at all. Wards are nowhere near capacity.

In line with this, my paramedic friend who lives in Brighton confirmed it feels almost like “normality” again now, and her last call out this morning was to someone with a head ache.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I’d count this as good news ....firstly a company doing things the right way as regards to government help and then in the giving by board/management/staff............it’s a exert from an email of a financial services company that i use...normally i just delete without bothering to read them..but this time i didnt

‘’As a financially strong business, we have been able to assure every member of staff that their jobs are safe, no one will be furloughed and everyone will continue to be paid as normal throughout the crisis. Whilst we have identified a number of staff who could have been furloughed, we believe that the Government’s Job Retention Scheme should be preserved for those companies that need it most. Additionally, we will not be claiming benefits from any of the other financial support schemes available to employers – for example, we will be not be deferring our VAT bill.

With our staff safe and our services to customers operating as normal, we also wanted to contribute to the fightback against coronavirus. At the heart of that is the launch of the AJ Bell Wage War on COVID Fund under the umbrella of the AJ Bell Trust, a UK-registered charity. All proceeds from the fund will be distributed to charities supporting the COVID-19 efforts or directly to those in need as a result of the virus. We aim to distribute all of the funds raised quickly over the coming months, with a backstop date of the end of this calendar year.

The AJ Bell Trust has kick-started the fundraising by allocating £50,000 of its charitable reserves to the fund. I, along with other board directors and senior management, have donated our April, May and June wages into the fund, and a large number of our staff have also contributed through our Payroll giving scheme for the same three-month period.’’

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I’d count this as good news ....firstly a company doing things the right way as regards to government help and then in the giving by board/management/staff............it’s a exert from an email of a financial services company that i use...normally i just delete without bothering to read them..but this time i didnt

‘’As a financially strong business, we have been able to assure every member of staff that their jobs are safe, no one will be furloughed and everyone will continue to be paid as normal throughout the crisis. Whilst we have identified a number of staff who could have been furloughed, we believe that the Government’s Job Retention Scheme should be preserved for those companies that need it most. Additionally, we will not be claiming benefits from any of the other financial support schemes available to employers – for example, we will be not be deferring our VAT bill.

With our staff safe and our services to customers operating as normal, we also wanted to contribute to the fightback against coronavirus. At the heart of that is the launch of the AJ Bell Wage War on COVID Fund under the umbrella of the AJ Bell Trust, a UK-registered charity. All proceeds from the fund will be distributed to charities supporting the COVID-19 efforts or directly to those in need as a result of the virus. We aim to distribute all of the funds raised quickly over the coming months, with a backstop date of the end of this calendar year.

The AJ Bell Trust has kick-started the fundraising by allocating £50,000 of its charitable reserves to the fund. I, along with other board directors and senior management, have donated our April, May and June wages into the fund, and a large number of our staff have also contributed through our Payroll giving scheme for the same three-month period.’’

I work in financial services and can confirm from experience dealing with them that AJ Bell are a great company.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Good to hear - outside chance my little SIPP account with them is safe then ! :whistle:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Aviation fuel is a significant chunk of the air fair;

Taxes are outrageous.

I’ve seen £1 tickets that cost close to £400 because of tax.

I’m certain we will see the end of the delay repay scheme ASAP - which will save money

Oil is currently - 36 dollars a barrel....yes that is a minus sign. Drop the tax and Airlines will be paying you to go on holiday.... and with a double seat.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Newsnight...

Deaths peaked on 8th April (in London on 4th April).

Since 8th April, hospital admissions for Covid19 have reduced from 524/day to 273/day.

(Looking at when a death occurred rather than when a death was reported)

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Newsnight...

Deaths peaked on 8th April (in London on 4th April).

Since 8th April, hospital admissions for Covid19 have reduced from 524/day to 273/day.

(Looking at when a death occurred rather than when a death was reported)

Looks like the lockdown is working. Keep it going for May and hopefully we will see more good news and now that the penny has dropped more preparation for what is to come.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Looks like the lockdown is working. Keep it going for May and hopefully we will see more good news and now that the penny has dropped more preparation for what is to come.

The suggestion is virus transmission started to fall BEFORE the lockdown was put in place.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Pubs, clubs, restaurants and cinemas will be the last things to open, unfortunately. Boring isn’t it.

With no vaccine in sight, that could be a very long way off.

The government would then have to turn to supporting those sectors, far further than they might be already.

Brother and myself own a pub. Fortunately we don't rely on it as our main sources of income. Unfortunately it's rateable value means we're not eligible for a grant, so have absolutely zero income, and even though we have cancelled as much as we can, there are ongoing running costs, and whilst some bills have been frozen, doesn't mean they won't have to be paid when we reopen. It's a very painful time to be in the hospitality industry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here