Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Blimey, even that **** Peston has posted something vaguely positive now.......

[tweet]1252308583636705281[/tweet]

This should be headline news, as it is a huge step forward, however it doesn't tie in with the doomsayers agenda of Government knocking in the press. As it is it has to be looked for and pieced together from various announcments. we are by no means out of the woods, but the trees are definitely thinning out!

Random thought. Any research/figures regarding whether or not those who get annual flu jabs (such as I) have fared better/worse/the same with the Virus than those who have not had the jab??

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Brother and myself own a pub. Fortunately we don't rely on it as our main sources of income. Unfortunately it's rateable value means we're not eligible for a grant, so have absolutely zero income, and even though we have cancelled as much as we can, there are ongoing running costs, and whilst some bills have been frozen, doesn't mean they won't have to be paid when we reopen. It's a very painful time to be in the hospitality industry.

Good luck with all that.

Do you have live football in the pub with Sky and BT? A friend owns a large and successful pub in north Sussex, he normally pays them almost £24,000 a year. It grates, but draws in so many extra punters in the course of a year. A huge overhead.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Random thought. Any research/figures regarding whether or not those who get annual flu jabs (such as I) have fared better/worse/the same with the Virus than those who have not had the jab??

I think this would be difficult to assess, as those that took the jab would (mostly) be of a certain vulnerable demographic.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Good luck with all that.

Do you have live football in the pub with Sky and BT? A friend owns a large and successful pub in north Sussex, he normally pays them almost £24,000 a year. It grates, but draws in so many extra punters in the course of a year. A huge overhead.

Thanks, we have BT Sport, Sky just got astronomical, and we don't have a big site. They have frozen payments, so that helps. It all depends what Enterprise do, our rent is £6.5k a month, if we close for 4 months. it's £25k we owe them. We can both put a bit into the business, but not that much, plus we'll have July's tax bill to pay as well, another £20k between us that's normally funded by the revenue from the pub

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thanks, we have BT Sport, Sky just got astronomical, and we don't have a big site. They have frozen payments, so that helps. It all depends what Enterprise do, our rent is £6.5k a month, if we close for 4 months. it's £25k we owe them. We can both put a bit into the business, but not that much, plus we'll have July's tax bill to pay as well, another £20k between us that's normally funded by the revenue from the pub

Is the July payment corporation tax, or are you talking about the 31/7/20 self assessment instalment due on account?

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
I thought you could defer that until Jan next year?

Edit,.,excuse me for butting in

Yeah, just kicking stuff down the road though isn't it, feasibly pubs don't open much before Xmas, still needs to be paid, and we might have had zero income for 7 months or so. I think they might have to come up with something more for pubs or there will be a large percentage of the trade down the tube by then

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yeah, just kicking stuff down the road though isn't it, feasibly pubs don't open much before Xmas, still needs to be paid, and we might have had zero income for 7 months or so. I think they might have to come up with something more for pubs or there will be a large percentage of the trade down the tube by then

Oh i agree...the problem still exists...just buys a little time...maybe ....and yes i agree that some of this ‘help’ will need to be tailored to individual trades.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
I think this would be difficult to assess, as those that took the jab would (mostly) be of a certain vulnerable demographic.

Not necessarily so. My company offers a free flu jab to all staff each year on the principle that if we have the jab it reduces absence through the flu season. If you could find others who do the same you could get a fair demographic spread to analyse.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Latest tweet from the Prof

The media will always focus on the eye-catching figures.

Ignore it.

Look for the averages. Fatalities dropped today - they are trending downwards.

Most encouragingly even with testing improving, the new infection numbers are showing signs of reducing.

We're getting there.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Latest tweet from the Prof

The media will always focus on the eye-catching figures.

Ignore it.

Look for the averages. Fatalities dropped today - they are trending downwards.

Most encouragingly even with testing improving, the new infection numbers are showing signs of reducing.

We're getting there.

I needed that today. It seemed like a barrage of bad news stories and my solace in the good news thread was slipping down the page

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It can be easily forgotten, but every day is another day closer to being through the worst of this, and eventually all of it.

We are getting there, step by step. Always looked likely that April would be the worst month for fatalities, and we are coming close to finishing it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here