The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
3EA56DDF-B034-49A4-8EE2-47145242C828.png

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Numbers update, all positive :

Infections - 5,926, rolling 7 day down 20.1% (tests UP 58.8%)
Deaths - 190, rolling 7 day down 35.4%
Admissions - 634, rolling 7 day down 27.8%
Vaccinations - 217k first, 73k second - cumulative 22.8m and 1.25m
In hospital - 9,435

To add

Some good news in the UK:

- 7 day average for deaths down 35.4%

- Zoe Covid app down to 5,731 new daily cases (from a peak of nearly 70,000)

- Vaccine supplies forecast to increase significantly in very near future

https://twitter.com/coronavirusgoo1/status/1369732408229171206?s=21

When I used it I thought it was as perfectly straightforward and easy. Clearly the mass vaccine centres are rolling the service out to greater numbers of “younger” people with higher expectations and demands of the system. I certainly don’t think the system is dumb.

Did you try to get a ticket when matches were limited to 2000 fans? Same principle I think in that whilst you are faffing someone nips it and takes your ticket!!

Good news please.

I thought that the online booking process was very slick and I am quite happy to visit Ticehurst for my follow up jab :)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
A new antibody drug “reduces hospital admission or death from Covid-19 by 85%”, the pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) has announced.

The drug, called VIR-7831, is a new treatment for people with mild to moderate illness, and the study has been so successful that it has been stopped early.

GSK and its partner, Vir Biotechnology, plan to immediately seek an emergency use authorisation in the United States and approval in other countries, including potentially in the UK.

Monoclonal antibodies are laboratory-produced molecules that mimic human antibodies.

The global phase 3 clinical trial based its initial analysis on data from 583 patients at risk of hospital admission.

GSK said VIR-7831 works in two ways - by blocking the virus’s entry into healthy cells and also clearing infected cells.

A separate laboratory study has found that VIR-7831 is effective against the main current Covid-19 variants, including the Kent, South African and Brazilian variants, the firm said.

VIR-7831 is designed to be given as a single intravenous (IV) infusion.

Dr Hal Barron, chief scientific officer at GSK, said: “We are pleased that this unique monoclonal antibody was able to bring such a profound benefit to patients.

“We look forward to the possibility of making VIR-7831 available to patients as soon as possible and to further exploring its potential in other settings.”

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Just booked my first jab! so they are now reaching out to under 55s. Bizarrely Seven Dials is linked to the Carden Surgery way over on Carden Hill, but I am not complaining. Just glad to be on my way so to speak. Looking good for the over 50's (I'm 53) in Brighton & Hove now.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
A new antibody drug “reduces hospital admission or death from Covid-19 by 85%”, the pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) has announced.

This is great news, hopefully they can start using it soon.

I noticed some more dodgy modelling this week predicting an extra 30000 deaths after everyone has been vaccinated. I can't see the logic of that, with high vaccine uptake and new treatments like this for people who still end up in hospital.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
This is great news, hopefully they can start using it soon.

I noticed some more dodgy modelling this week predicting an extra 30000 deaths after everyone has been vaccinated. I can't see the logic of that, with high vaccine uptake and new treatments like this for people who still end up in hospital.

Careful what you read mate :)

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

What a hugely significant graph that is. I'm not sure just quite how unlocked Israel is right now (are people still working from home for example?) but what that serves to tell us is that vaccination can replace lockdowns, that we can put the virus in recession without depressing measures, of which social distancing is at the very heart.

Massive.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
What a hugely significant graph that is. I'm not sure just quite how unlocked Israel is right now (are people still working from home for example?) but what that serves to tell us is that vaccination can replace lockdowns, that we can put the virus in recession without depressing measures, of which social distancing is at the very heart.

Massive.

Regional vaccine passports to get into all establishments mean anything I see from Israel I now take with a pinch of salt, I think it’s highly unethical to enforce it the way they are, they have guard posts on the way into super markets asking for vaccine receipts, it’s madness.

That being said this is the good news thread :lolol: Strangely when you look at the Israel and U.K. graphs our death rate is decreasing at a fair rate above Israel even though they have nearly everyone vaccinated, which I’ve been trying to find an answer as to why but I can only perhaps put it down to overall better hospital care in the U.K.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
[tweet]1369943054963122181[/tweet]

Cases still falling in Israel after unlocking

The graph also tells us that even though Israel has a very high vaccination rate there is a significant (and one would suspect, at the time alarming) uptick in the short term. Remember this when it happens here and the papers are full of doom and gloom.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Regional vaccine passports to get into all establishments mean anything I see from Israel I now take with a pinch of salt, I think it’s highly unethical to enforce it the way they are, they have guard posts on the way into super markets asking for vaccine receipts, it’s madness.

That being said this is the good news thread :lolol: Strangely when you look at the Israel and U.K. graphs our death rate is decreasing at a fair rate above Israel even though they have nearly everyone vaccinated, which I’ve been trying to find an answer as to why but I can only perhaps put it down to overall better hospital care in the U.K.

Probably that everyone who might have ordinarily died this year or in the next few years in this country has been swept away early by the virus.

Not the easiest thing to try to twist into good news, i'll skulk off

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

The graph also tells us that even though Israel has a very high vaccination rate there is a significant (and one would suspect, at the time alarming) uptick in the short term. Remember this when it happens here and the papers are full of doom and gloom.

My understanding is that Israel were just in the early stages of a really big outbreak when they started vaccinating - i.e. their case/hosp numbers are actually much better than they would've been without the vaccines.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I sort of recall this being shrugged off by then as deaths didn’t rise/dropped

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Strangely when you look at the Israel and U.K. graphs our death rate is decreasing at a fair rate above Israel even though they have nearly everyone vaccinated, which I’ve been trying to find an answer as to why but I can only perhaps put it down to overall better hospital care in the U.K.

Yeah, I made a similar observation and also couldn't find the answer. Having been to Tel Aviv on business a couple of times I've always had the impression that it's a reasonably wealthy place, and I'd have imagined the standard of healthcare to be reasonable. Whether that's representative or Israel as a whole I have no idea, however cases also seemed to be falling quicker in the UK as well, albeit we remain under pretty harsh lockdown conditions.

The Twitter graph above was possibly the most convincing I've seen that the programme is working over there however.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Whilst I agree, under those rules it shows the vaccine cuts transmission as well

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here