Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[TWEET]1355211422104510470[/TWEET]

Have thought for some time that January would be the worst month, and we’d see gradual - then swifter - improvement from this point onwards.

saulth

May 28, 2020
I don't know how my life would have been in the past few months without this thread. Glad I've been able to contribute myself from time to time but especially thankful to those of you who have been posting relevant stuff since day one.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
A one jab vaccine that means 100% of people don’t require hospitalisation is probably up there with the biggest developments to ever happen during this pandemic, it’s simply massive, it essentially turns Covid from a potentially ruthless killer of the vulnerable and elderly into basically a common cold.

It seems early data from Israel suggests that the Pfizer vaccine is similar with one dose, efficacy in actually contracting the virus is reduced but most importantly 14 days + after having the vaccine, there’s been no deaths as of yet.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Can anyone explain why the numbers of vaccines per day vary so much? Is it that not all centres are open every day?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
It's exactly that! Bicuspid aortic valve.

Mine got picked up when I was 17 as I'd started having bouts of arrhythmia. When they were checking that out they found the valve problem.

You're probably in Group 6 as well, worth a call to the GP to confirm :thumbsup:

Thanks for that mate. I also get weird bouts of arrhythmia, although oddly I'm bradycardic most of the time (resting heart rate is 40 - 50 bpm despite non-athlete levels of fitness) but occasionally get spells of tachycardia whereby my heart rate can exceed 120bpm for up to an hour - my sister once had a flight diverted due to some extreme PVCs (extreme racing heart basically); clearly something runs in the family.

Anyway, apologies for digressing - I'll give the GP a call. :)

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Just had this text from my mum, pasted verbatim, after she and my dad received the vaccine this afternoon:

Just back from first Covid jab. Not at all painful but I felt a bit emotional being part of it. We have had the Oxford vaccine so proud about that. Next one in 12 weeks so a few weeks after that we should have some, if not full protection. Really looking forward to seeing you all again.

This will not be over for some time to come, but on a personal level it felt like a very salient moment. I've spent much of the last 10 months worrying about my parents (aged 70 and 73), for all their foibles, and whilst they're not out of the woods yet it's a relief nonetheless.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Can anyone explain why the numbers of vaccines per day vary so much? Is it that not all centres are open every day?

Only a small example but I know Westcourt Surgery (Rustington) are officially only vaccinating on Weds-Fri, although did do all day Saturday last week til about 9pm - I also understand that not all places report every day, so it does seem it’s always going to be a little inconsistent from day to day.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Efficacious. Not heard that expression used so much since the Scaffold released Lilly the Pink in 1968. I should probably get out more, but I’m not allowed.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Just had this text from my mum, pasted verbatim, after she and my dad received the vaccine this afternoon:

This will not be over for some time to come, but on a personal level it felt like a very salient moment. I've spent much of the last 10 months worrying about my parents (aged 70 and 73), for all their foibles, and whilst they're not out of the woods yet it's a relief nonetheless.

I know EXACTLY how you feel. My MIssus is 57 and extremely vulnerable, been on chemo for 7 years and regularly cared for at Royal Papworth near where we live. First jab a week ago, and after a whole year of rolling her up in cotton wool because she is so vulnerable, we both just broke down in tears of relief and joy, it was an event we never expected to face, and never expected to survive. It was deeply moving, and I share your massive relief and excitement for your loving parents. I’m still waiting!

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I know EXACTLY how you feel. My MIssus is 57 and extremely vulnerable, been on chemo for 7 years and regularly cared for at Royal Papworth near where we live. First jab a week ago, and after a whole year of rolling her up in cotton wool because she is so vulnerable, we both just broke down in tears of relief and joy, it was an event we never expected to face, and never expected to survive. It was deeply moving, and I share your massive relief and excitement for your loving parents. I’m still waiting!

Really chuffed for you and your missus mate. Hope you get sorted soon. Take care in the meantime.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Really chuffed for you and your missus mate. Hope you get sorted soon. Take care in the meantime.

Thank you. All the best to your family too. My MIssus has not been able to hug any of her 3 grown up lads for 11 months now, and I guess to a Mum, that hurts. To me, I would happily just stand at a bar with them and exchange banter, that’s all we need!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Love reading things like this.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[TWEET]1355431527593738242[/TWEET]

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Mistley Essex
So pleased she's got that first jab mate, my Mrs is in a similar situation she takes a drug called Exomestane ( or similar spelling ) for cancer treatment .been on it 3 yrs with another 7 to go . Was so relieved when we got jabbed last Saturday o know exactly how you both felt . All the very best to you and yours .

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Only a small example but I know Westcourt Surgery (Rustington) are officially only vaccinating on Weds-Fri, although did do all day Saturday last week til about 9pm - I also understand that not all places report every day, so it does seem it’s always going to be a little inconsistent from day to day.

Agreed. Suspect it’s almost entirely down to reporting as there would be no logic in vacc numbers almost doubling or halving day to day ........as with a lot of the other figures I’m tending to not look too much at or get worried about the daily numbers but more the week-on-week trends as all are showing some odd blips day to day. Vaccs, hospitalisations and infections are all heading very much in the right direction

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
A couple of days after trying to make her go 20 miles to Ticehurst for a jab, my 80yo MiL got her Oxford jab this morning at her GP surgery.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here