Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
[MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] [MENTION=3711]Driver8[/MENTION]

I too am on the Novavax trial my next appointment at the Leeds trial is next week - 3 February. My main question will of course be what are the next steps on whether I take national roll out of Vaccine (particularly as over 50's are due to have it by end of March). Of course to make to make that decision I need to know whether I have had the Novavax jab or placebo.

I will ask about the trial allowing those that had the placebo to have the Novavax jab in order to stay on the trial.

I will let you know more next week

Thank you - all very exciting.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
English new hospital admissions down 44% from 12th January peak in 85+ age range

English new hospital admissions are down 44% from it's peak on the 12th January giving hope that the UK vaccine efforts are starting to make an impact.

The figures peaked at 863 new hospital admissions in the 85+ age range on the 12th January but are showing signs of moving in the right direction and dropped to 483 on the 25th January in the latest data published on the Government's official Coronavirus data website - coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
English new hospital admissions down 44% from 12th January peak in 85+ age range

Thats great news...but would not these be pretty much the case every Jan for that age group ?? I did hear on the wireless that in Jan 2018 up to 2000 older people sadly passed, some days that month ? ( I have not done any research said Stewart Lee)

But whatever its great new :)

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
[MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] [MENTION=3711]Driver8[/MENTION]

I too am on the Novavax trial my next appointment at the Leeds trial is next week - 3 February. My main question will of course be what are the next steps on whether I take national roll out of Vaccine (particularly as over 50's are due to have it by end of March). Of course to make to make that decision I need to know whether I have had the Novavax jab or placebo.

I will ask about the trial allowing those that had the placebo to have the Novavax jab in order to stay on the trial.

I will let you know more next week

Great, thanks.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thats great news...but would not these be pretty much the case every Jan for that age group ?? I did hear on the wireless that in Jan 2018 up to 2000 older people sadly passed, some days that month ? ( I have not done any research said Stewart Lee)

But whatever its great new :)

Yeah it should start to drop, but nearly halving in under 2 weeks is quite significant and would suggest a likely early impact from vaccines.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Seeing photos of hundreds queueing outside The Brighton Centre today, this morning on my drive to work I saw a big queue out of Westcourt Surgery. It's happening, sure enough.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
J&J vaccine proves 66% efficacy in trials. Not the best, but another one that can be added to the arsenal, and of course important to note that this is a one dose vaccine.

[tweet] 1355142322170826754 [/tweet]

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
J&J vaccine proves 66% efficacy in trials. Not the best, but another one that can be added to the arsenal, and of course important to note that this is a one dose vaccine.

[tweet] 1355142322170826754 [/tweet]

I think the 85% against severe disease and then 100% against hospitalisation and death after 28 days is still very encouraging. Particularly as a one dose.

Come on. 5 working vaccines!

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
I think the 85% against severe disease and then 100% against hospitalisation and death after 28 days is still very encouraging. Particularly as a one dose.

Come on. 5 working vaccines!

Here's the data:

[tweet] 1355150334746898432 [/tweet]

100% effective against hospitalisations and deaths for ALL variants examined

saulth

May 28, 2020
Here's the data:

[tweet] 1355150334746898432 [/tweet]

100% effective against hospitalisations and deaths for ALL variants examined

This is fantastic, especially the fact it shows identical efficacy against severe disease and hospitalisation for all variants once the immune response really kicks in.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Even the lunchtime BBC News decided at the start to have positive Coronavirus news.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Just had a bit of personal good news. Found out I'm in vaccine group 6 because I've got a minor heart condition.

I'm only 35 so didn't expect to be vaccinated until the summer at the earliest.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your heart condition? I'm the same age as you and have a bicuspid aortic valve - doesn't affect me at all day-to-day and it only got picked up during a routine heart scan a few years ago, but I get text messages for the flu jab every year as apparently I'm considered at additional risk.

Don't feel like you have to answer though - just curious. :)

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
If you don't mind me asking, what is your heart condition? I'm the same age as you and have a bicuspid aortic valve - doesn't affect me at all day-to-day and it only got picked up during a routine heart scan a few years ago, but I get text messages for the flu jab every year as apparently I'm considered at additional risk.

Don't feel like you have to answer though - just curious. :)

It's exactly that! Bicuspid aortic valve.

Mine got picked up when I was 17 as I'd started having bouts of arrhythmia. When they were checking that out they found the valve problem.

You're probably in Group 6 as well, worth a call to the GP to confirm :thumbsup:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It's exactly that! Bicuspid aortic valve.

Mine got picked up when I was 17 as I'd started having bouts of arrhythmia. When they were checking that out they found the valve problem.

You're probably in Group 6 as well, worth a call to the GP to confirm :thumbsup:

How is this sort of thing picked up? Is it from ECGs, or does it need something a bit more in-depth?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
How is this sort of thing picked up? Is it from ECGs, or does it need something a bit more in-depth?

I'm not sure to be honest. I had a bunch of ECGs and other tests done at the time. I did also end up having surgery to fix the arrhythmia issue so it may have been picked up there.

I think it's something that can go entirely unnoticed in a lot of people for their whole life.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Much bigger number of 443,985 vaccinations reported for yesterday, with 7.891m now having had first dose.
Positive cases remain under 30k (despite a 6% increase in testing) and stay down 29.5% on the previous week
Most importantly perhaps, the number of hospitalisations continues to drop and is now 14.3% down on the previous week, and the number of patients in hospital is now showing a sustained downward trend too.
Lower range of estimated R has also dropped to 0.7 from 0.8

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here