Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This is good news - first potential signs of vaccinations making a difference in over 80s.
[TWEET]1343951547558977537[/TWEET]

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Article in Guardian today suggesting vaccine uptake has been higher than expected so far.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
Oxford vaccine to be approved tomorrow, as per this reporter who has been very reliable on this so far:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJZnoYkBfxr/?igshid=dbdzmmye9sut

The post is in Spanish as the journalist is Argentine, translation below:
Screenshot_20201229-234034_Instagram.jpg

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sorry, what would be the significance of April 20th?

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
Sorry, what would be the significance of April 20th?

from a quick dive into the comments of that post, it appears this journalist said on the 20th of April that this would be happening around this time of year. Sort of a 'D-day' prediction, if you will. That might be total rubbish, but it makes sense, he's been a great source of info on this particular vaccine.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Rollout from January 4th. 2 full doses approved with the second occuring within 12 weeks. That bit will really speed up the roll out as more will be able to get first dose quicker

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Right, let’s start stepping shit up now.

24/7 jabbing please

G/P sites sound fine but surely that will take forever ? It,s a jab so why not like track and trace tests download all your i/d and use the military/Red Cross etc take pressure of the G/Ps there must be plenty of places where drive through sites can be set-up ?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sounds like JCVI are recommending the 12 week timeframe on getting 2nd Pfizer jabs ALSO now, to get more first doses into more arms much more quickly.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
G/P sites sound fine but surely that will take forever ? It,s a jab so why not like track and trace tests download all your i/d and use the military/Red Cross etc take pressure of the G/Ps there must be plenty of places where drive through sites can be set-up ?

If Unis/Schools are shut they seem the obvious place along side sports grounds - set up for queues and large crowds.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Does anyone know how effective it is after the first jab? In other words, how well protected will people be after the first jab while they wait for the second?

From getting infected? Sounds like somewhere around 60-70%
From getting severe disease if you are infected? 100% efficacy in trials so far.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Does anyone know how effective it is after the first jab? In other words, how well protected will people be after the first jab while they wait for the second?

CEO of Astra Zeneca was just on the Today programme. No percentage was given but the statement was (and I'm probably paraphrasing) that you would have sufficient protection two weeks after the first jab and the second one was for long term protection. However, if I'm recalling the data reveal correctly the first dose is around 60% effective. Happy to be corrected on that but please don't derail the thread, people. This is a great day! :clap2:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
There was some mix up in the AZ trials, because at the time they didn’t trust the manufacturers dose measurement apparently.

I suspect they are still trying to confirm it

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
‘We can be out of this by spring’ - Hancock

We're now hearing more from the UK's Health Secretary Matt Hancock, who's been speaking to BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

He says he won't set a target on how many people will be vaccinated a week.

However, he added: "What I can tell you is whereas previously I've said that I hope we can be out of this by the spring, I've now got a very high degree of confidence that we can be out of this by the spring."

However, he admitted the NHS was currently facing huge pressures and he said the vaccine "doesn't take away from the really difficult winter weeks that we’ve got between now and then".

He called on the UK to "stick with this" and "hold our nerve" knowing that the vaccine is coming and normality is sooner to returning than it was yesterday.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There was some mix up in the AZ trials, because at the time they didn’t trust the manufacturers dose measurement apparently.

I suspect they are still trying to confirm it

They started using a half-dose first by mistake at some point during the trial, and found that it was actually more effective than two full doses.

Starting to look as though a longer gap between doses is better for full protection, but the really good news is that (with both approved vaccines) it seems the first dose alone is sufficient to prevent the virus leading to serious illness - from what I’ve read, there were ZERO hospitalisations amongst the triallists. This is the key to getting out of this as as well as stopping deaths and serious impacts, it releases the pressure on the NHS.

The half/full dose thing is still subject to further research as more data is needed, so I suspect the dosing regimen will change as we progress. In the meantime, lets get everyone jabbed once asap

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here