Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As Mellotron said a few posts ago, Rishi Sunak also sounded remarkably upbeat in an interview I read in the paper today, there was talk of having nearly 15m people vaccinated by February, which would mean restrictions wouldn’t be needed. I’m guessing he probably knows the news is good on the vaccine otherwise he wouldn’t have come out with that.

I appreciate this is the Good News Thread - and I’m the last person to want to be a party pooper(!) - but I think it’s worth mentioning that the article likely suggests restrictions could begin being withdrawn from end of Feb, rather than gotten rid of altogether.

It’s still excellent news though, and I really hope once Oxford is approved, the Government start to give a clearer step-by-step guide to our way out of this, not based on dates, but metrics. ie Restriction X eased once deaths/hosps/cases down to X, or vaccinations over X% and proving effective.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I appreciate this is the Good News Thread - and I’m the last person to want to be a party pooper(!) - but I think it’s worth mentioning that the article likely suggests restrictions could begin being withdrawn from end of Feb, rather than gotten rid of altogether.

It’s still excellent news though, and I really hope once Oxford is approved, the Government start to give a clearer step-by-step guide to our way out of this, not based on dates, but metrics. ie Restriction X eased once deaths/hosps/cases down to X, or vaccinations over X% and proving effective.

Absolutely. I think this would encourage the take up on the vaccine as well, a clear and set out exit plan based on actual science in simple mans terms that everyone can understand.

I really do think we now have the end in sight though, I thought Rishi’s upbeat tone was a nice change from the normal Doom merchants like Smugcock who seem insistent on giving people absolutely nothing.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Absolutely. I think this would encourage the take up on the vaccine as well, a clear and set out exit plan based on actual science in simple mans terms that everyone can understand.

I really do think we now have the end in sight though, I thought Rishi’s upbeat tone was a nice change from the normal Doom merchants like Smugcock who seem insistent on giving people absolutely nothing.

:laugh:

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Phone my elderly and jolly relative in Devon for a natter yesterday and she was pleased to tell me that she and her sister had recently received their initial vaccinations. She thought that it warranted at least a badge or even a "...I've been done..." hat.

Good to hear. I do hope that the Government do provide you with some proof of vaccination as I have a feeling this may be needed to travel abroad for the next couple of years - although I love the idea of having a hat to wear through immigration:)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Still wish we had a daily vaccinated counter easily available like we have with cases / hospitalisations/ deaths, especially if 4th January is the start of mass vaccination as suggested upthread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good to hear. I do hope that the Government do provide you with some proof of vaccination as I have a feeling this may be needed to travel abroad for the next couple of years - although I love the idea of having a hat to wear through immigration:)

Not planning to at the moment (according to Gove) as not enough study/evidence to know if being vaccinated stops you transmitting the virus. Interestingly the US are issuing certificates to people after their first jab.

Agree though, can see it being an immigration requirement at least.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Still wish we had a daily vaccinated counter easily available like we have with cases / hospitalisations/ deaths, especially if 4th January is the start of mass vaccination as suggested upthread

This site is pretty good and is usually updated every day although he is understandably taking a little time over Christmas. It has a vaccine counter.

https://www.travellingtabby.com/uk-coronavirus-tracker/

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

The fact we are third behind two countries with relatively tiny populations is very impressive!

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Read that St John's Ambulance have been training 30,000 people to administer vaccine and look after individuals.

As long as supply of all ingredients and the glass vials, then vaccinating over 50s by Spring is doable. That will allow restrictions to start to be lifted.

The rest of the population during the summer, which will allow restrictions to be almost fully lifted.

The other game changer is for something for those that cant be vaccinated. Such as this

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/antibody-trial-protection-exposure-covid-b506115.html

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Sky news just said Oxford’s vaccine to be approved within hours or maybe later this week!
( so I guess they are guessing but certainly looks soon)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
First lots of 2nd "booster" doses start being given today.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
They believe they have 90-95% efficacy, very possibly by giving doses 2-3 months apart. More information to come on that.

thats good news ....is this the astra zeneca one then ...?? or are they a separate entity , i know moderna and pfizer have both published similar expected figures but also a few are struggling with lower efficacy rates.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
They believe they have 90-95% efficacy, very possibly by giving doses 2-3 months apart. More information to come on that.

Would give a double boost - more supplies, and able to at least get first vaccination (which appears to give the majority of protection, with the booster more a "top up") into a higher number of people much more quickly.

Seems something like that could be a common sense way forward.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here