Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Axminster in November is an unforgiving place, not a great deal of pubs in the vicinty of the town centre I'm afraid.

Axe Valley for me in a ‘Wagon’ ..more inclined to go into Lyme Regis ..but it’s only a few days break at the end of my main working season..so happy to just put my feet up and rest

Apols for taking thread off topic

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Axminster in November is an unforgiving place, not a great deal of pubs in the vicinty of the town centre I'm afraid.

There weren't many even back then (all the better ones were out in the surrounding villages) - I used to use the Con Club as it was more or less next door to the office. Where Hugh F-W has his shop used to be a bakery, and my lodgings were around the corner the other way. Just had a quick look on google Earth - the big old house is still there (easily identifiable as it has a swimming pool). Was owned by a slightly dotty retired schoolteacher - on the plus side, as well as me lodging there she used to take in French students for English teaching :O

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Only 874 new cases from that many tests is quite remarkable, 171 deaths down from 233 last Tuesday.

AC9F203F-F2B4-47A6-B3EC-47B3FB8B13C0.jpeg

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
As per the Guardian:

A hugely popular Indian guru touting herbal remedies as a $7 cure for coronavirus has been told by the government he needs to prove his claims before further marketing.

Baba Ramdev, a supporter of prime minister Narendra Modi, said the remedy would be available from next week through his lucrative Patanjali Ayurved company, claiming it was 100% successful on nearly 300 test patients.

Ramdev has also said he can “cure” homosexuality and AIDS.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Only 874 new cases from that many tests is quite remarkable, 171 deaths down from 233 last Tuesday.

View attachment 125236

It’s obviously difficult to know for sure without knowing how many of those tests have been returned and tested, however that’s far and away the lowest positive results to tests ratio to date - just less than 0.4%.

For context, the US state of Arizona is currently pushing 20% - a prevalence level almost 500 times higher. Differences in testing conditions no doubt and obviously not good news for Arizonians, but it is another remarkable marker of the progress we’re making right now.

Still a long way to go, but the balance of good news vs bad news in the UK has palpably tipped in the right direction over the past two or three weeks.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It’s obviously difficult to know for sure without knowing how many of those tests have been returned and tested, however that’s far and away the lowest positive results to tests ratio to date - just less than 0.4%.

For context, the US state of Arizona is currently pushing 20% - a prevalence level almost 500 times higher. Differences in testing conditions no doubt and obviously not good news for Arizonians, but it is another remarkable marker of the progress we’re making right now.

Still a long way to go, but the balance of good news vs bad news in the UK has palpably tipped in the right direction over the past two or three weeks.

At one point in early April we astonishingly had a 43% positive rate, although of course we were only doing 13k tests then but you can only imagine just how many infections we must have had then. Everything heading in the right direction now, fingers crossed the further easing of restrictions doesn’t lead to a large uptick.

saulth

May 28, 2020
Again very encouraging daily figures in Italy. 18 deaths today (it was 23 yesterday, 24 on Sunday). 122 new cases and only 115 patients in ICU (it was 177 a week ago). It means only 0.65% of their current active cases are in ICU... at their peak, it was around 7%. So maybe the (multiple) Italian doctors stating that the virus has somewhat 'tamed' in the recent weeks are actually right.

Yoda

English & European

It could actually be more than that. Without having looked at the figures myself lately, The Argus include Surrey & Sussex Healthcare which covers more of Surrey than it does Sussex in terms of acute care. They only run a handful of outpatient services from Crawley & Horsham Hospitals.

They really should only count BSUH, WSHT, ESHT, SCFT & SPFT in their counting as far as I'm concerned.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Some of the rule changes expected to be announced in Netherlands today...interesting about no dining or chanting :moo:

Football supporters will be allowed back into stadiums from 1 September. The 1.5 metre rule must be observed. Chanting and singing will be banned because of the potential to spread the virus
Secondary schools are likely to be allowed to ditch social distancing after the summer holidays and to resume a normal lesson timetable. They have been partially operating since 2 June, but the combination of physical and online lessons has generated complaints from parents, teachers and pupils
The limit on the number of people who can attend formal events will be lifted, on the condition that people can keep social distancing rules and are quizzed about their health. Reservations will remain a requirement. This means that festivals and outdoor events may be possible from 1 July, local authority permits will be required and there's no expectation that the big music festivals will be back on yet
Cinemas, theatres and places of worship will be able to welcome more than 100 people (the original planned limit from 1 July), as long as social distancing can be maintained
Saunas, gyms and sports schools are also to reopen on 1 July, if coronavirus remains under control

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
East Stand back to normal then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here