Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The coolest band of all time - let's have your nominations

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Add Macca's double thumbs up salute and the Frog chorus and you have no case for the Beatles being cool.

The Frog thing was truly appalling, but it wasn't by The Beatles. Actually, I'm a John girl. Mostly found Paul's songs to be too pretty-pretty. Having said that, I remember being in Dorothy Perkins in Western Road one Saturday. They actually had a juke box in there. The most fantastic song was playing. I'd never heard it before. Rushed to juke box to find out what it was, and immediately marched along the road to Woollies, and bought Hey Jude. If you're talking cool, John was much cooler than Paul. Ringo was only cool when he became Thomas the Tank Engine.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bill Graham, one of the biggest music promoters of all time always said that they were the only two bands who would be guaranteed to sell out a concert tour where ever it was.

But this is not a calculator of cool. If so, then u2 would trump everyone by virtue of their current trek being on target to be the highest grossing tour ever. And a short Irishman in Cuban heels and leather trousers does not float many cool boats, even if Larry Mullen Jnr is in the band.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
But this is not a calculator of cool. If so, then u2 would trump everyone by virtue of their current trek being on target to be the highest grossing tour ever. And a short Irishman in Cuban heels and leather trousers does not float many cool boats, even if Larry Mullen Jnr is in the band.

Larry Mullen Jnr is divine. Very cool. I've seen U2 twice, once at Wemberlay and once in Athens. They were better at Wembley. Too slick and actually uncool in Athens.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Apologies it was Grundy and he does come across as a condescending twat but I think you are suffering from selective memory about this seriously uncool and foul mouthed exchange ( and voice over added more recently)

As said, its all about opinions, but I found them to be something very different to anything else around at the time, not afraid to be different musically and for this i found them to be cool.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Not my favourite band (though I do love 'em), but definitely the coolest band I've ever seen...

The Strokes

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Yet again the answer to a best band style thread is Super Furry Animals, whose lead singer, Gruff Rhys, also doubles up as the coolest man of all time.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

It's not but they are the original rock band are they not ? They are pure rock and roll be that a good that good or bad. Drugs, riots, deaths in the band, fights, divorces and even an almost under age bride, you name it they've done it. Imitated by many, surpassed by none though.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It's not but they are the original rock band are they not ? They are pure rock and roll be that a good that good or bad. Drugs, riots, deaths in the band, fights, divorces and even an almost under age bride, you name it they've done it. Imitated by many, surpassed by none though.

Yes, but HT has already made a very good case why the Stones are the coolest. He was merely pointing out that your reason wasn't a defining factor in whether they were cool or not. Do keep up, eh?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Yes, but HT has already made a very good case why the Stones are the coolest. He was merely pointing out that your reason wasn't a defining factor in whether they were cool or not. Do keep up, eh?

I was agreeing with him, do keep up.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Radiohead keep cropping up in my thinking. Making their own sound with each album (with a hint of Talk Talk), not pandering to media, being green, releasing an album within a week of anyone knowing etc etc. Add to that, Johnny Greenwood making some beautiful soundtracks and Thom lending his voice to Burial, Liars, Flying Lotus + others. Finally Roanan Keating was asked by an interviewer which celebrity he would most like to throw off a mountain. Keating named Yorke, and referred to him as a "muppet", stating that Yorke was once rude to him.

Ticks. All. Boxes. Pretty cool.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can I lob in Buddy Holly?

Quite how he made the music he made when he hung around 1950s Clovis New Mexico and Lubbock Texas is totally beyond me but I'd say he was cool and died in a very rock and roll way too. Would the Beatles even have got together if Holly hadn't been around 1st?

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Iggy Pop and the Stooges/Love

After seeing Iggy and the Stooges at Hop Farm on saturday it has to be them, or a psychedelic band from the 60s called Love, who recorded an album called Forever Changes. I saw then 3 times in recent years, and the front man Arthur Lee (Now sadly departed) was the coolest dude on the planet

arthur-lee-sevens.jpg

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Musically I'd say cool bands were Talking Heads, The Clash and The Jam for comedic value Vanilla Ice - he's cool ;o)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
After seeing Iggy and the Stooges at Hop Farm on saturday it has to be them, or a psychedelic band from the 60s called Love, who recorded an album called Forever Changes. I saw then 3 times in recent years, and the front man Arthur Lee (Now sadly departed) was the coolest dude on the planet

arthur-lee-sevens.jpg

Only Bryan McLean could make posing for a group photo in a cruddy pair of underpants cool.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here