Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The coolest band of all time - let's have your nominations

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
For me it has to be the Rolling Stones even though I am not a huge fan. They are the archetypal rock 'n roll band and unlike the Beatles still going strong. They have produced several timeless classics which the likes of the Sex Pistols can only dream of. The only band that comes close are The Who, they've been around for nearly as long. Bill Graham, one of the biggest music promoters of all time always said that they were the only two bands who would be guaranteed to sell out a concert tour where ever it was.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My wife has always had a thing for Lenny Kravitz.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
For me it has to be the Rolling Stones even though I am not a huge fan. They are the archetypal rock 'n roll band and unlike the Beatles still going strong. They have produced several timeless classics which the likes of the Sex Pistols can only dream of. The only band that comes close are The Who, they've been around for nearly as long. Bill Graham, one of the biggest music promoters of all time always said that they were the only two bands who would be guaranteed to sell out a concert tour where ever it was.

Neil Young is STILL relevant, the Stones aren't though, how long ago was the last truly decent album? Some Girls circa 1977??

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
This lot re-defined a few musical boundaries over 40 years ago, and Jim Morrison and Tony Bloom have 'Lizard' in their nicknames, that's pretty cool!

:cool::cool:

[yt]CIaMs4mHtO0&feature=player_detailpage[/yt]

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Neil Young is STILL relevant, the Stones aren't though, how long ago was the last truly decent album? Some Girls circa 1977??

Gentlemen - this thread was going back on track but you two are threatening to send it askew. We'd already established that success does not define cool so nominating the Stones because of ability to fill stadia does not make them cool. They are cool for all the reasons Herr Tubthumper has so eloquently explained (cheers matey) and relevance does not necessarily make Neil Young cool. Of course he is - but writing relevant albums? Nah.

Mark E Smith is cool. He's ice cool but is he relevant? I don't think he's been relevant since the 80s but it doesn't stop him churning out great albums.

I'm retracting the Sugarcubes. On reflection they are cool but kookiness and general lunacy doesn't necessarily make them cooler than, say, the Ramones or Isaac Hayes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We are also missing one very cool, possibly anti-cool, dude in James Murphy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
The question was COOLEST band, you are having a laugh if you are suggesting there was anything cool about these guys, imo like. The interview with Frank Bough alone would put paid to that, foul mouthed overgrown schoolkids maybe but cool: :nono:

It was Bill Grundy who did the interview. Define foul mouthed ? All Johnny said was "shit" under his breath hardly foul mouthed is it ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It was Bill Grundy who did the interview. Define foul mouthed ? All Johnny said was "shit" under his breath hardly foul mouthed is it ?

Apologies it was Grundy and he does come across as a condescending twat but I think you are suffering from selective memory about this seriously uncool and foul mouthed exchange ( and voice over added more recently)

[yt]p25SdQEnhHI[/yt]

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The Stones. Despite not making a decent record for several decades Mick and Keef have still got it. They should be in a care home but still continue to effortlessy tread the boards across the globe, I have no idea how they still do it.

Decent thread though Lee, glad you started it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I'm certain the band said more than this. Bill egged them on and they said a number of embarrassing play ground quips like "dirty rotter". Not foul mouthed, but not cool either. If someone can find it on YouTube please post it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brian Eno?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here