Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Burrell Arms, Haywards Heath

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I know them pretty well as I lived next door to them for about 15 years! Didn't Gary once have The Sussex a few years back.

God it takes me back hearing their names. There used to be a load of us when we were kids going down to the Goldstone in a scout van of all things !

He did indeed, I think it was before he went to the Burrell.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Along with the Ugly Duckling, now that was a rough (by HH Standards) place to be at certain times. I heard that the last owner did a runner with the takings after a beach party there so left it with sand all over the floor. Still a shame to see them pulling down old pubs though.

The last owner also owns Hello Taxis and is now the landlord/lessee of The Mayflower on America Lane so how could he have done a runner with the takings when he had the lease, so the takings were his

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is correct. Allegedly there is a delay in getting the permission as the council want to have all the bars located in the same area (Broadway). The owner of one of the bars is also allegedly either high up in the council or incharge of licencing.

Tim Martin, original owner of Wetherspoons is lawyer by profession and made his money through exposing a loophole in the licensing laws of this country re licences and planning permission and will do the same in HH if he wants the Priory enough. He has taken many councils to court and do not know of one case that he has lost, some he has pulled out of as there was too much hastle and he didnt see that the place would make sufficient money to make it worth all the hastle but I know of a number of councils he has beaten. In fact Arun pleaded with him to open a Wetherspoons in Littlehampton.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tim Martin, original owner of Wetherspoons is lawyer by profession and made his money through exposing a loophole in the licensing laws of this country re licences and planning permission and will do the same in HH if he wants the Priory enough. He has taken many councils to court and do not know of one case that he has lost, some he has pulled out of as there was too much hastle and he didnt see that the place would make sufficient money to make it worth all the hastle but I know of a number of councils he has beaten. In fact Arun pleaded with him to open a Wetherspoons in Littlehampton.

I hope he succeeds. That will be nearer my end of town.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is ridiculous for the council leader and or the actual council to say that they want all the bars in one part of the town. What about people who do not live in that area, which is the vast majority of people, supposed to do about wanting a drink. Have they got to go to the supermarket and buy it and help kill off more bars , go without or get taxis which they possibly cant afford.

I am sure that Tim will expose that view and use it.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I am sure that Tim will expose that view and use it.

I'm sure he will .... and make a mint in the process. Obvioulsy he's not interested in the money, only bringing a decent boozer to those in the south of the town, the fact that the The duck and The Sussex went down the pan becuase no one wanted to drink there ...:shrug:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
, the fact that the The duck and The Sussex went down the pan becuase no one wanted to drink there ...:shrug:

Because they were both very badly run and encouraged the wrong sort of people. The price of beer and food in Wetherspoons pubs generates a certain type of business but they are in the main very well run and controlled that very few of them ever have trouble in them.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Because they were both very badly run and encouraged the wrong sort of people. The price of beer and food in Wetherspoons pubs generates a certain type of business but they are in the main very well run and controlled that very few of them ever have trouble in them.

100% agree.

The Duck wasn't always a bad pub. Nor The Sussex come to that. I have never really taken to the Heath. I'm still a member of the United Services Club but trade seems to be dropping off there as well (except Saturday nights)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
100% agree.

The Duck wasn't always a bad pub. Nor The Sussex come to that. I have never really taken to the Heath. I'm still a member of the United Services Club but trade seems to be dropping off there as well (except Saturday nights)

I was until this year and didnt renew my membership because of the way the bar is run and the treatment dished out to Mick who was voted in as President and then removed by his opponents.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Because they were both very badly run and encouraged the wrong sort of people.

Which was obviously me then because I drank in the Sussex, a pub which was done up a number of times to attract the right people but never suceeded. Gary Wall made a good go of it but he still went to the Burrell....

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
i lived in hh between 1960 (7 years old) and 1980, all my drinking was local. The liverpool arms was like a second home for me lol, jimmy munt was a real character. in the star was an old boy, been there years, he never allowed music or any machines, and the public bar was spit and sawdust. but the brickwoods bitter was just the best, ale to die for. sergison was the half bitter brigade.the pilgrim was a dive for some time. rarely used the duck though a mate of mine worked there as barman, ithink 5-10 years ago, paddy g, burrell i used when two bars. was always drinking with pete browning who wa a bit of a legend around the town. have some great memories

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
the brickwoods bitter was just the best, ale to die for...

I used to drink Brickwoods in the Bevendean (which, strangely is in Moulsecoomb). It was a fine pint and one that sadly disappeared very early on in my drinking career. It's good to see that someone else remembers it.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
the pilgrim was a dive for some time.

The Pilgrim was my local when I lived in HH. Although to be honest I didn't really start drinking there until it after it became the Golden Eagle. Wasn't a bad place really.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
The Pilgrim was my local when I lived in HH. Although to be honest I didn't really start drinking there until it after it became the Golden Eagle. Wasn't a bad place really.

it certainly improved for sure, late 60's early 70's had a bit of a reputation, i did use the heath at times too. also if you carried on past the duck going out of town what was the pub on the corner

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here