Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The biggest problem facing this world we live in ...

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
Where do you think food comes from?

the large corps using geneticly modified food; tesco, monsanto etc who do not use english farms.....whatever is left of them.

check out the FDA and their corruption, aspartame, fructose, and DNA patents on seeds in india......

sigh.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
Where do you think food comes from?

the large corps using geneticly modified food; tesco, monsanto etc who do not use english farms.....whatever is left of them.

check out the FDA and their corruption, aspartame, fructose, and DNA patents on seeds in india......

sigh.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the world is abundant and can sustain billions of people. the globalisation empire creates scarcity....and this is the issue.

"sustain" is a subjective and relative term. the world could sustain billions in agarian poverty or sustain a few hundred million in industrial luxury.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
"sustain" is a subjective and relative term. the world could sustain billions in agarian poverty or sustain a few hundred million in industrial luxury.

disagree - if these are the only 2 options in your consciousness then i suggest reading some more intelligent information from philosophers / visionaries / alternative media.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
And btw our agriculture is massively inefficient, because the methods of farming that give the most return financially (ie monoculture) are the methods that give the poorest return per hectare. So, taxpayers end up paying to reduce the harm caused by fertilizer that's only needed because of the monoculture in the first place. And - surprise! - to reduce the damage from the unused waste from intensive livestock farming. Fun, isn't it?

So, if land is the issue, then mixed farming is way better.

This is a great example of how the root of the problems alluded to here are globalisation and the capture of economic systems (through subsidies, regulation, etc) by vested interests.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Immigrants to this country are always going to be attracted to the areas of highest density.i.e London and the South-East and the other major cities. Why?...because thats where they will find compatriots and where they will find work.
It is foolish to suggest that just because there are thousands of acres of green fields, that there is ' plenty of room ' in Britain. The questions you have to ask are.....
1) In the next 10-15 years will our main arterial routes be able to cope with an ever increasing number of vehicles on our roads. How much damage will this do to the movement of goods and services.
2) How will our workforce cope with ever extending rush-hours. Will we see a change in working patterns even though we are still firmly locked into a 9 to 5 society.
3 ) Will the Government have the guts to protect and support British industry or will it turn a blind eye to ever increasing distribution costs which are forcing up prices to record levels.
4) Will it represent the interests of its people and not kow-tow to every bureaucratic missive from Brussels
5) Will we all face up to the truth that this is a small island with finite resources, with concentrated pockets of population density that cannot be allowed to increase without check.
We will eventually face logistical meltdown in this country with too many vehicles in too little space. We cannot keep building new roads ( we havent got the space ) The M25 was out of date before it was opened.
Forget all other arguments...if you cannot move goods and services around, the whole fabric of a western society will crumble.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I think London is over-populated and can't stand the hustle and bustle of it all, but that is because i keep getting older and haven't the energy to constantly duck and dive whilst simply walking down the road. I don't notice the genetic make-up of each person in my way and don't care for it.
That just means i have to go somewhere else where it isn't so hectic and i can stroll without thought. Not lowering numbers just for my benefit.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
disagree - if these are the only 2 options in your consciousness then i suggest reading some more intelligent information from philosophers / visionaries / alternative media.

i put forward those options flippantly, for illustration. what standard of living and lifestyle do you consider "sustainable" for the current world population of 6.7 billion?

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
there are hundreds as apose to your 2.

for one: local community with local (all have a say) rotating democracy.....ppl mainly eat what is local and seasonal. no one profits from food, energy, or water.

trade goes on between umbrella co-ops with food, clothes, skills...etc....again, non profit based.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
there are hundreds as apose to your 2.

for one: local community with local (all have a say) rotating democracy.....ppl mainly eat what is local and seasonal. no one profits from food, energy, or water.

trade goes on between umbrella co-ops with food, clothes, skills...etc....again, non profit based.

that sounds quite sustainable, but very much towards the agrarian, pre-industrial end of the spectrum. i like the idea of that, but i also quite like my internal combustion engine and internet technologies. we didnt get to where we are today with non-profit co-operatives, it would be a shame to jettison so much to return to that simpler life.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
One baby born on the developed world uses up more of the worlds resource than a child born In the third world.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
The UK is nothing like full. London and the South East may be over-populated but there's huge tracts of the UK that aren't. As long as anybody coming in pays their way then its all good and can do nothing but improve the homegrown feral gene pool. IMHO, like.

They won't pay their way, they'll work in the black market, as an example try asking your next Chinese delivery driver. The little they do earn they send back most of it to their families. As for the reason for such high birthrates in the 3rd world, this has been discussed many times on tv and the papers and the feedback from locals of whichever country they visit claim its to counteract disease which these poor children/families have to deal with, leading to the inevitable. For example, have 6 children and they hope 3 at least will survive. Before the binfest starts, it was exactly the same here in this country just after the 2nd world war. I come from a family where my Dad had 4 brothers and 5 sisters and it was pretty much based on the same ethics.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Was going to suggest getting the population down by shipping out all Crystal Palarse fans....but then I thought it would not make much difference really....there is not many of them! TIC...........Taxi!

Finch

Jul 21, 2009
New Zealand
Worth noting the the most spoken language is Cantonese Chinese, the second is actually Spanish and not English as a lot of people think.

I'm not having a go, as its an easy mistake to make, and not really important in this debate, but its Mandarin Chinese, not Cantonese chinese that is the most spoken native language. Cantonese / Yue is the Southern / Hong Kong variety.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Also, What gives you more rights than somebody else just because you were lucky enough to be born in a stable country with a good standard of life? In fact, I''ll back my conviction up by letting a homeless person move into the house that i pay for , that gets heated and powered with the money i go to work for, what on earth gives me the right to keep it to myself just because i'm lucky enough to have a job ?

Personally I'd much prefer a UK with a mixture of people from all sorts of backgrounds who can all integrateor if they dont want to integrate they can, form ghettos where people who have lived here for 30 years can still not have learnt to speak english and require interpreters to use services , rather than one that was full of racists, sexists and homophobes 40+ years ago., just as long as they dont live where i live , or if they do i'll retreat home to the nice , safe mono cultural area where i was brought up, with nothing like the social problems that mass immigration brings
Just thought I'd add the bits you missed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here