Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The biggest problem facing this world we live in ...

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
is over-population ...

Some really scary figures recently estimating what the world population will be by 2020 or 2025. I forget the figure, but it had rather a lot of zeros and showed more massive growth in the next decade or so. And serious questions as to whether there will be enough food to go round ... and at what price.

How to control world population? The Third World is the problem. Wierd isn't it that the poorest are the ones who have the most babies. Makes no sense whatsoever to me.

One thing we need to put a stop to is overseas aid. All that does is encourage people in these countries to have even more kids ... and the vicious circle continues. If they were starving they wouldn't have the energy to make babies.

And a result of over-population is immigration, our second biggest problem. Because of too many people there is too little food. Because of too little food people want to emigrate to a "promised land", one of which unfortunately is the UK.

The UK is full. There is no more room. We do not need any more people be they Eastern European, Yellow, Black or Brown.

Off topic ... most definitely ... and I will wait for the liberals among you to tell me how out of line I am. Should be fun.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The UK is full. There is no more room. We do not need any more people be they Eastern European, Yellow, Black or Brown.

The UK is nothing like full. London and the South East may be over-populated but there's huge tracts of the UK that aren't. As long as anybody coming in pays their way then its all good and can do nothing but improve the homegrown feral gene pool. IMHO, like.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I may be wrong, but I always thought the third world countries generally weren't the problem, as although they have an extremely high birth rate, they also have a very high death rate. Therefore, Western countries tend to have a larger population growth. Things may have changed since I did GCSE Geography though...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think you're fishing here...it was the line "if they were starving they wouldn't have the energy to make babies" that did it for me.

On the other hand, I fail to see why it seems in any way surprising to you that statistically, the poorest people are likely to have the most children. That's always been the case. It probably is in this country as well.

If you live in an environment where life expectancy is short, where education is poor or non-existent and where you get by on subsistence farming, having kids is often about having extra bodies to earn money, to work, and (not to put too fine a point on it) hedging your bets in countries where childhood mortality is frighteningly high. Contraception probably isn't that easily available in remote African villages. I honestly don't think people in (say) Eritrea are sat at home thinking that they've got the go ahead to procreate simply because their government suddenly got a few quid in aid money. Much of which probably never filters down to the poor anyway. So that kind of defeats your argument that foreign aid encourages population growth.

I doubt people in, I don't know, Eritrea, decide they're simply not going to have sex

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I thought this was a Simon Cowell thread... exits right ------------->

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
V.quickly, part of me says I wouldn't worry, you'll be dead or nearly before it causes real problems. And therefore it's "tomorrow's generation" and those after that will have to sort it out (I know that's not very PC but I believe they'd equally do nothing if their time was now - it's the human way e.g. when I studied population as part of my degree 20years ago such depressing forecasts were and had been made for decades back then and nothing's really steemed the tide since!)

But part of me also knows we humans have a canny knack of developing solutions to overcrowding and resource replenishment. So it's not all doom and gloom. Most likely, as always, the poor will suffer most whilst the rich enjoy life's, well, riches. Survival of the fittest, innit?!

Good closed-season thread by the way!

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I said on here about a year ago that there was a chance of population control within my lifetime, and some people took the piss. Poor countries have lots of children so there are more earners in the family.

If it wasn't for people in poor parts of Asia smoking loads of really strong fags and having really crap healthcare the world would probably be full already.

Not sure there's a workable solution to be honest. We'll probably carry on as we are until we've consumed all the planets resources and polluted everything else. Most of the population will die out through starvation or war and the ones that are left will need to start again. Probably.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I may be wrong, but I always thought the third world countries generally weren't the problem, as although they have an extremely high birth rate, they also have a very high death rate. Therefore, Western countries tend to have a larger population growth. Things may have changed since I did GCSE Geography though...

Hmm, not so. The majority of the word's population is less than 25 suggesting the population explosion hasn't really exploded yet. Longetivity is generally upward worldwide. But the real issue for western demographics is 3rd world economic migration which as we know in the news each day is causing huge problems - we can't cope with the pace or scale.

What's more they're ALL muslims just itching to blow us all up and ruin our vicar of dibley way of life.... ;)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
You get a situation like most South American Countries and the Philippines in particular that will not allow contraception for fear of upsetting the church. It makes no difference to the fact that there are millions of very poor people in countries that have no welfare system let alone jobs for the people who need them. Where do you start ? I don't think that religion has anything to do with the over population in China. Worth noting the the most spoken language is Cantonese Chinese, the second is actually Spanish and not English as a lot of people think. It was the Spanish that forced Catholicism on the countries they conquered thus the over population in those countries. That's not a complaint about Catholics just a statement of fact. No idea why the Indian sub continent is so over populated though.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I said on here about a year ago that there was a chance of population control within my lifetime, and some people took the piss. Poor countries have lots of children so there are more earners in the family.

If it wasn't for people in poor parts of Asia smoking loads of really strong fags and having really crap healthcare the world would probably be full already.

Not sure there's a workable solution to be honest. We'll probably carry on as we are until we've consumed all the planets resources and polluted everything else. Most of the population will die out through starvation or war and the ones that are left will need to start again. Probably.

Indeed. Part of mankind's answer to problems has and always will be war or famine. Malthisian socio-economics isn't it? The old boy was right you know - we're all DOOMED!! No really, we are...

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Hmm, not so. The majority of the word's population is less than 25 suggesting the population explosion hasn't really exploded yet. Longetivity is generally upward worldwide. But the real issue for western demographics is 3rd world economic migration which as we know in the news each day is causing huge problems - we can't cope with the pace or scale.

What's more they're ALL muslims just itching to blow us all up and ruin our vicar of dibley way of life.... ;)

Fair enough, looks as if you're right

Also shows we don't really have a lot to worry about just yet in the UK, in 166th position

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population_growth_rate

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Is Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and the potential of that lunatic getting his hands on nukes

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
In some of these countries women and men need to be educated in the use of contraception. They need to stop having so many bloody kids.

Some women don't have a choice either or don't know any better. Some men just go around impregnating as many women as possible and then sod off, which is disgusting.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
In some of these countries women and men need to be educated in the use of contraception. They need to stop having so many bloody kids.

Some women don't have a choice either or don't know any better. Some men just go around impregnating as many women as possible and then sod off, which is disgusting.

But enough about the UK...

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
How to control world population? The Third World is the problem. Wierd isn't it that the poorest are the ones who have the most babies. Makes no sense whatsoever to me.

It makes perfect sense. Most people in third world countries have little or no knowledge about contraception and family planning. Also it has already been mentioned that an extra child is an extra worker so people have more kids to perhaps gain a higher income or the parents working less themselves. The fact that there is much to be desired of heathcare in these countries leads to high infant mortality rates and thus leading to parents wanting to replace their feeling of loss with perhaps two or more kids.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
is over-population ...

Some really scary figures recently estimating what the world population will be by 2020 or 2025. I forget the figure, but it had rather a lot of zeros and showed more massive growth in the next decade or so. And serious questions as to whether there will be enough food to go round ... and at what price.

One thing we need to put a stop to is overseas aid. All that does is encourage people in these countries to have even more kids ... and the vicious circle continues. If they were starving they wouldn't have the energy to make babies.

And a result of over-population is immigration, our second biggest problem. Because of too many people there is too little food. Because of too little food people want to emigrate to a "promised land", one of which unfortunately is the UK.

Off topic ... most definitely ... and I will wait for the liberals among you to tell me how out of line I am. Should be fun.

This is probably the most ill informed and stupidest thread i have ever f***ing seen on NSC. f***ing moron!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here