Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Best Rap Song

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
D'Angelo Saxon said:
You heard the new NORE track, Chosen Few? That tracks gonna start a few riots up in clubs....

yer I heard that a few times in bars and clubs last week....but just didn't have the impact of back then and still tippin!!

I can't understand it either:lol:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
rap = crap

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So how do classics work??

I have never liked rap hip/hop music, the exception to prove my rule being De La Soul.

For reasons unknown I've read through this thread with little knowledge of what's being said. But god knows how many years after it's release I find myself thinking:-

NWA - Express Yourself, 'now there's a fookin good song'

I'm sure there's probably even a Public Enemy track or 2 that I'd now feel the same about.

But I can fairly safely say, @ the time of release & for a long time after, I would have just moaned about them, saying something like 'no guitars, I'm not interested'.

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Well not into the modern Urban Hip Hop/ Rap/ RnB scene, though I liked one or two Hip House tunes that were popular years ago late 80's early 90's. Agree with East London Seagull, having heard one or two hip hop tunes from years ago are quite good.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
D'Angelo Saxon said:
I see what you've done there. Very clever. *sigh*

thank you:)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
f*** me.

Im not lover of rap. But I have to say all the modern stuff is bollocks.

Give me Public Enemy, LL Cool J, and of course the legend that is Grand Master Flash, Lets not forget Run DMC either.

As for Ganstas Paradise. Thats where rap started to go wrong. Its basically a rewritten Stevie Wonder song Pastime Paradise. From then on they just copied other peoples riffs, songs or lyrics.

Best rap at the moment is Goldie Lookin Chain coz they take the piss and say everything you want to say about the current state of rap.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Silent Bob said:
Rahzel is an amazing beat boxer.

I'm gonna crush you like some rice cakes.

I still shiver when i hear London Posse's Gangster Chronicle.
I met some graf boys from Madrid the other week who were into Hardnoise and Hijack. They didn't speak any English so we communicated in the language of rap.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
My favourite tune at the moment is Check Yo Self by Ice Cube remixed using the beats from White Lines.

Dunno why but I've started banging that one out again.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Meade's_Ball said:
I still shiver when i hear London Posse's Gangster Chronicle.
I met some graf boys from Madrid the other week who were into Hardnoise and Hijack. They didn't speak any English so we communicated in the language of rap.

When I was in the Czech Republic earlier this month, we met some Bulgarians who knew EVERYTHING about UK hip-hop, right back to Hijack and Hardnoise! f***ing insane!

As for Goldie Looking Chain being the future, I think thats being a little extreme. There's plenty of decent artists just bubbling away under the surface. Don't judge hip-hop on what you hear in the charts or on the radio. 95% of that ain't hip-hop.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
My favourite tune at the moment is Check Yo Self by Ice Cube remixed using the beats from White Lines.

Dunno why but I've started banging that one out again.

Is it not the message remix with Das Efx?

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I'm not a huge fan of hip hop/rap as such, but as far as I'm concerned the challenge is the same as with conventional writing in that you have to marry the vocal with the song.
Two decent examples of this are:

Jurrasic 5 - Concrete Schoolyard
Eminem - Stan

Too often the vocal seems too acerbic for the sound.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Ice T - 99 Bitches. Very good and very funny

TONY

Jul 27, 2004
HANTS
Youth Expression - Tribe Called Quest, very nice use of a Grace Jones Sample.
Album ' Peoples instinctive travels and the paths of Rytham' is in my top 3 ever

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here