Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The best player/performance you ever saw at the Goldstone

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
The Millwall 2nd half play off semi was my best.The feeling of coming away knowing we were virtually at Wembley after being 1 down.Also remember going mental against Peterborough in the FA cup 6 th round replay when Dean Saunders notched the winner,what an atmosphere in the North that night.Oh so many memories..........:) :( :)

Padders

Jul 5, 2003
Cheadle Hulme
Boxing Day 1979 - Peter Ward, won penalty, scored one, made one, 3-0. 28,358.

Great Day

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Nearly beating Chelsea. 18/02/67. A great game.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
sams dad said:
Was it Brian Tawse who had a goal disallowed near the end,Doug?

remember Tommy Doc was Chelsea manager. Who did they have sent off? Bobby Tamblin?

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
HampshireSeagulls said:
Gerry Ryan. Solo wondergoal against Man City, I think. Seemed to beat the whole of their team, cut inside and scored. Even a sober George Best would have been jealous.

I agree, I think Gerry Ryan's goal against Man City was one of the best I saw at the Goldstone, I seem to remember that the pitch was a quagmire, it was the 4th round of the cup on the way to the Final and I think we won 4-0 and I also remember that he seemed to run from almost one end of the pitch to the other.

Dean Wilkins last minute free kick against Ipswich to get us into the play offs was also something special.

My favourite performance by the team at the Goldstone is probably the 1-0 win against Norwich in the FA Cup, it was just such a special feeling at the end to know we were only 90 minutes away from Wembley.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
sams dad said:
Was it Brian Tawse who had a goal disallowed near the end,Doug?

Tiger Tawse: probably the biggest game at the Goldstone. There are other contenders though.

Airborne volley from 15 yards into the roof of the net at the south end. A perfectly good goal! Disallowed. We would have won 2-1 and it would have been our first victory over a top flight club for over 30 years at the time. We had to wait another 15 years for it to happen!

Supporters learn not to miss the chance of a really big match. They can be few and far between. The queues for tickets were massive, about 6000 in just one queue two hours before the start of the reserve game in which tickets were sold.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
timbha said:
remember Tommy Doc was Chelsea manager. Who did they have sent off? Bobby Tamblin?

Joe Boyle who later signed for the Albion. Wally Gould (a player a bit like Gary Hart) deliberately provoked him.

Big Rob

Nov 2, 2005
a few good performances at the old goldstone,outside north stand, kicking it off with palace, oxford in hove park, brentford in the tunnel, sheff wed on the footbridge, luton getting slapped at hove station, zulus getting chased out of west stand, going mental in goldstone lane with, bristol rovers, bristol city, getting bit by police dog v leeds, put in hospital against port vale, and stoke, what wonderful memories !!also the saints fan i think? climbed to top of floodlight, also the south stand fire:( I sadly miss the old place,

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Ian Rush when we lost 3:2 to Liverpool. Sublime finishing. Broke my heart that night, just as I was thinking about our share of the gate in the replay!

The Keeper

Oct 22, 2005
West Sussex
Big Rob said:
a few good performances at the old goldstone,outside north stand, kicking it off with palace, oxford in hove park, brentford in the tunnel, sheff wed on the footbridge, luton getting slapped at hove station, zulus getting chased out of west stand, going mental in goldstone lane with, bristol rovers, bristol city, getting bit by police dog v leeds, put in hospital against port vale, and stoke, what wonderful memories !!also the saints fan i think? climbed to top of floodlight, also the south stand fire:( I sadly miss the old place,

:eek:

Big Rob said:
Zulus getting chased out of the west stand

I heard they got done by a bloke with a mop and bucket:lolol:

Last edited:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Having to surrender my bootlaces to PC Plod at the turnstile. The sods used to stamp on your toes to see if they were steelies as well!

Always carried a spare pair of laces in my socks......:shootself

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
HampshireSeagulls said:
Having to surrender my bootlaces to PC Plod at the turnstile. The sods used to stamp on your toes to see if they were steelies as well!

Always carried a spare pair of laces in my socks......:shootself

mmmmm...i remember that!!!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Woody the Seagull said:
craig maskell in the 5-0 thrashing of hartlepool! scored 3 and had one disallowed!
Same here.

Too young to remember many good players at the Goldstone. :(

D

Deleted User X18H

BRIGHT ON Q said:
The Millwall 2nd half play off semi was my best.The feeling of coming away knowing we were virtually at Wembley after being 1 down.Also remember going mental against Peterborough in the FA cup 6 th round replay when Dean Saunders notched the winner,what an atmosphere in the North that night.Oh so many memories..........:) :( :)
5th Round I think I only remember one FA Cup Semi Final apperance.............alas.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here