Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The best player/performance you ever saw at the Goldstone

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't really remember individual performances.
What sticks in my mind, as DTG says, is the whole team effort, in the 2nd half against Millwall, in the playoffs.

And, Kanchelski's speed, during the league cup match.
Although Chappers did have him in his pocket. :bowdown:

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
The 3-1 win against Bristol Rovers to get promoted from Division Three to Division Two. Great run in at the end of the season where I think we won 7 out of the last 8 games and drew the penultimate game 2-2 at Sealand Road, Chester after being 2-0 (Wilkins 2) up, but Port Vale beat Notts County 2-1 I think in the evening and we went 2 in the table after Sunderland, so the game against Bristol Rovers was almost in out own hands. Walsall had to score 3 more goals than us against Gillingham I think to pip us if we won.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
BensGrandad said:
What about the 6 - 4 defeat at home to Charlton. Terrific game wrong result.

Wasn't that 5-3? Keown up front, Curbishley playing for the opposition, jumpers for goal posts... A terrific game.

In terms of performances at the Goldstone, Danny Wilson always spring to mind for me. He was incredible in the middle. Could do everything.
:bowdown:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Wardie's hat trick for the under-21s... my first ever game.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Kit Napier on many many occasions between 1967 and 1971 ... he shone like a beacon in the team, everytime he got the ball he seemed to make things happen .... or score goals.

Best performance our 1-0 legaue cup win over Pompey in 1968 with a certain Alex Dawson scoring with a power header and man of the match: Kit Napier

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Well,it's usual suspects time:just about any game with Ward & Mellor playing well.

4-6 v Middlesbrough(1st home alone game)

3-3 with Burnley FAC (Burnley were League Champs; we weren't!)

And many more.....but my daughter wants the computer back,bye.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
withdeanwombat said:
Well,it's usual suspects time:just about any game with Ward & Mellor playing well.

4-6 v Middlesbrough(1st home alone game)

3-3 with Burnley FAC (Burnley were League Champs; we weren't!)

And many more.....but my daughter wants the computer back,bye.

You should get a pensioners discount at Falmer if the Government do not put the age limit up again!

Best performance and most exciting games are two different things.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
dave the gaffer said:

Dennis Mortimer...cant remember him having a bad game...absolute class

What would we give to have a similar type player with the same influence on the game now?

He used to play the simplest of balls through the defence and completely split them open absolute brilliance and sheer class.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
The entire team when we beat Liverpool in the Cup (again) at the Goldstone in 1984

:clap2: :albion: :clap2:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
perseus said:
You should get a pensioners discount at Falmer if the Government do not put the age limit up again!

Best performance and most exciting games are two different things.

Sigh.You could be right.

Albion 0 Southend 0 26 Jan 1962 it is then.

Collects bus pass,puts teeth back in,takes a pinch of snuff.Slowly shuffles off,stage left.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
bhaexpress said:
Wardy's four and Spider's three against Walsall was pretty good. All gaols scored in the second half when the away team had been the better side in the first.

this thread has thrown up some great memories but the 7-0 against walsall sticks out and the best was one of our mates went home at half time he was soaked and reckoned the game was crap.:lolol:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Gerry Ryan. Solo wondergoal against Man City, I think. Seemed to beat the whole of their team, cut inside and scored. Even a sober George Best would have been jealous.

Against us - the Arsenal team that showed us what the First Division was all about in our first game. Pat Jennings catching stuff one-handed.....

Last edited:

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
BensGrandad said:
What would we give to have a similar type player with the same influence on the game now?

He used to play the simplest of balls through the defence and completely split them open absolute brilliance and sheer class.

God we had some great midfielders in those days; Case, Mortimer, Curbishley, Wilson and even Mickey Thomas did okay in his (extremely) brief spell here!!!

Legend

Prince Of Darkness
Jul 5, 2003
Lancing
Best Individual performance I saw at Goldstone by a non Albion Player was Paul Gascoigne when he played for England B against Italy B. Game finished 1-1 and he was outstanding.

Best Albion Game was the home defeat against Charlton 5-3. There could have been many more goals. Real end to end stuff.

Jimmy Saville said:
Wasn't that 5-3? Keown up front, Curbishley playing for the opposition, jumpers for goal posts... A terrific game.

:bowdown:

A nerd writes

No that was a League Cup game v Bradford in 1984.. Keown played centre forward and scored an abolsute screamer into the south stand goal..... and we lost 3-5.

May favourite has to be 1-0 v Norwich in th sixth round of the cup in 83....................... I really belived we were going to the Cup Final:clap2: :eek: :eek: :eek: :clap2: :clap2: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I was at the 5-3 Charlton game and it was pretty amazing but I would go for the game that I saw either before or after that one which was a 6-1 victory against Carlisle. As far as I remember there wasn't much between the teams on league form but on the day we just annihilated them, think the score was 2-1 at half time and I just stood on the terrace thinking we should have been further ahead and would probably live to regret a hoard of missed chances. The second half continued in much the same vein as the first and we put another 4 past them, it could have been double figures easily, I think all the scorers were different too which must be a pretty rare occurrence.

Again, either side of the two Albion games I saw England beat Turkey 5-0 at Wembley, making it three games in a row with 20 goals in total, happy days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here