Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Best Job in the world?

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
If you are referring to Public Schools as the "best education money can buy (taxpayers money that is)", then you are wrong. They are not funded by the taxpayer, but by the parents or relatives of the pupil, who also pay Council Tax, which includes funding for State Schools. Privately-educated families actually pay twice for education - once for their own child and once towards everyone else's.

Remember also that the Royals do not choose the life they lead, but feel duty-bound due to the inherited nature of the Monarch being Head of State. Some Royals do "drop out". Others do have paid employment because few of them receive money from the Civil List these days. The Civil List is not paid for by taxpayers, but from the income from Crown Lands on which the Royals also pay taxes. If Royals' names were not on the Charities' headed notepaper, then such Charities would not be so trusted, and would receive far less money from donations.

The Queen has little power or opportunity to be corrupt. Our constitutional system is one of checks and balances, where the Head of State (the monarch), Parliament and the Judiciary all counter-check each other. A Presidential system is far more open to corruption and backhanders and is vastly more expensive.

Please don't let the facts get in the way of a good 'anti-monarchy' rant.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
If you are referring to Public Schools as the "best education money can buy (taxpayers money that is)", then you are wrong. They are not funded by the taxpayer, but by the parents or relatives of the pupil, who also pay Council Tax, which includes funding for State Schools. Privately-educated families actually pay twice for education - once for their own child and once towards everyone else's.

Remember also that the Royals do not choose the life they lead, but feel duty-bound due to the inherited nature of the Monarch being Head of State. Some Royals do "drop out". Others do have paid employment because few of them receive money from the Civil List these days. The Civil List is not paid for by taxpayers, but from the income from Crown Lands on which the Royals also pay taxes. If Royals' names were not on the Charities' headed notepaper, then such Charities would not be so trusted, and would receive far less money from donations.

The Queen has little power or opportunity to be corrupt. Our constitutional system is one of checks and balances, where the Head of State (the monarch), Parliament and the Judiciary all counter-check each other. A Presidential system is far more open to corruption and backhanders and is vastly more expensive.

chip on your shoulder Bulldog?

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
For me, I would be a member of the royal family.

Save a fortune on loo paper as you are surrounded by arse lickers telling you how wonderful you are.

Best education money can buy (taxpayers money that is)

A well paid job for life for all your children, no need to apply, just load the tax payers up with more spongers.

Multi million pound salary for doing a bit of charity work that everyone else is expected to do for nothing (is that not the definition of charity work)

Several vast palaces to live in when thousands are homeless.

Multi million pound pay rise when everyone else is being squeezed (we really are all in this together)

Only need to work 3 days a week, 5 months a year and an expensive department at Clarence house to spin that, and convince many easily conned taxpayers that you are a real grafter working all the hours under the sun.

Oh yes, being part of a self perpetuating, unelected elite that can never be removed from power no matter how corrupt, incompetent, lazy and greedy you are, certainly has a lot of advantages.

:fishing:

You can't say that!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Simon Brotherton has it pretty good.
Le Tour, tennis and the odd bit of footy.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Graham Bell has a great job.

Very part time commitments for BBC Ski Sunday and Winter Olumpics, and a fewer other income sources promoting and writing for ski magazines.

Wakes up every day to see, and skis in, stunning scenery. His hobby is his job.

And by all accounts, has over the last 30 years enjoyed the beautiful women that like winter sports.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Likewise, Ned Boulting. He has an absolute ball. Have you read his book 'How I won the Yellow Jumper'? Just a brilliant way of living.
Yeah.
He's probably better off as he doesn't have to do the bat and ball stuff.

Cycling & footie with plenty of other ITV4 projects too.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Michael Eavis has it pretty good. For most of the year he is preparing for the best music festival in the world. The rest of the year he is at the best music festival in the world. And any spare time is spent milking the cows.

unklbrian

Feb 4, 2012
Firework display constructor ....

I know a guy that does this & it seems like a brilliant job !
Build the bangers & rockets, go along and build the show , press the big red button

get paid

start all over again !

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
My uncle had a great job. For 15 years he was a mystery shopper for Guinness and spent every day going to pubs, ordering a pint of Guinness and seeing how it was presented, tasted etc
He then got a monster pay-off when they were taken over 20 years ago and retired at 52 or something rediculous with a generous pension. Nice.

MMMmmm! Dream Job.....

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

God I wish I had your faith. A wonderful idea which may have been in intention when set up but if your throw in Banks and Big Business they are certainly not checking each other, I would suggest that covering up for each other would be closer to the truth.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Cheryl Cole's vibrator.

A Metropolitan Police Officer able to play poker on their shift.

Michael Owen. A few million quid for a couple of hours football very occasionally and owning some good racehorses.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I think he meant it would be taxpayers' money (i.e. from the Civil List or whatever) going to the Public Schools to pay the fees. And before anyone says "They couldn't do that" or anything similar, I am only "interpreting".

What I really wanted to say was "Come the Revolution, Brother"..... and if Charles was ever to become King, i think I would be in the front line with my pitchfork, a la Les miserables... or should that be Aux Miserables..... not that I have got a pitchfork.

Last edited:

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
What a mouthpiece for the RSPB, RSPCA and LACS. Countryfile glosses over the real issues affecting the countryside and concentrates in the fluffy/soft focus side of things that people who go out to the country once in a blue moon might find vaguely interesting. Any of the farming issues are highlighted by that Ginger fella, who's probably raking it in from the BBC and personal appearences and only winges about things that affect his pocket.

In terms of a job its probably pretty good, but they're selling the countryside well short!

My uncle had a great job. For 15 years he was a mystery shopper for Guinness and spent every day going to pubs, ordering a pint of Guinness and seeing how it was presented, tasted etc
He then got a monster pay-off when they were taken over 20 years ago and retired at 52 or something rediculous with a generous pension. Nice.

Every day! How many pints per day did he average and how long did he last after 52 even with the monster pay off and pension, did he have enough for a private liver transplant!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here