Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Best Job in the world?

Dusty_Fryer

May 12, 2009
Port Stanley
I'd like to be Charlie Stayt or Bill Turbull. Though I would specify that Susanna Reid be my co-presenter and Laura Tobin does the weather. I just think that they are particularly good at their respective jobs and would get the best out of me.

You have excellent taste, Sir! Ah - Laura Tobin...:love:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Who do you reckon has got the best job in the world?

Who's job would you like? Forgetting skill, talent, opportunity, and any other necessary qualifications, whose job would you just love to have?

I'm sitting listening to Test Match Special and, not for the first time, I am so envious of Jonathan Agnew.

This guy goes to every England Test Match and every major England cricket match in the world all year round. He never sees the winter. He chats all day and commentates on the cricket and gets to meet and interview interesting people from all walks of life.
And after a day at the cricket, he's got a pukka hotel and dinner all paid for. Never has to worry about cricket tickets, or getting off work to go to cricket because that's his job. Just sitting watching cricket in the sunshine and talking.

If only Jim was still in the Fixing It business, I would love to swap jobs with Aggers, if only for one series.

Can't be too good for your family life though

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I'm happy with my job. I wouldn't trade it for anything apart from maybe to drive trains.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
ITV weather with Lucy Verasamy always gives me a stirring downstairs.

Just checked her out. She's nice. I see Laura Tobin has emigrated to ITV too. For the money no doubt. She's going down in my estimation almost as much as she goes down in my imagination.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
My uncle had a great job. For 15 years he was a mystery shopper for Guinness and spent every day going to pubs, ordering a pint of Guinness and seeing how it was presented, tasted etc
He then got a monster pay-off when they were taken over 20 years ago and retired at 52 or something rediculous with a generous pension. Nice.

Dec 29, 2011
Safety car driver in F1, or Jake Humphrey's job is pretty decent.

At a festival I was at recently there was a guy who had to 'tend' to the hammocks. This involved sitting in a hammock all day drinking beer and getting paid. Must be nice.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
My uncle had a great job. For 15 years he was a mystery shopper for Guinness and spent every day going to pubs, ordering a pint of Guinness and seeing how it was presented, tasted etc
He then got a monster pay-off when they were taken over 20 years ago and retired at 52 or something rediculous with a generous pension. Nice.

Winner :thumbsup:

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

I do much the same thing. Only it isn't my job and I don't get paid. And it isn't Guinness. Lager man myself.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I'd fancy being a presenter on mythbusters. Smashing up cars and playing with explosives can't be a bad job.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think Henry Rollins has one of the best jobs/careers going. Not the early Black Flag days (don't like spit) but last 20 years he is a travel writer, had TV show interviewing the likes of Christopher Walken, David Lynch etc, own radio show, travels the world gets to go onstage and talk about it, releases books, albums etc. Yeah I 'd like that.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
For me, I would be a member of the royal family.
Save a fortune on loo paper as you are surrounded by arse lickers telling you how wonderful you are.
Best education money can buy (taxpayers money that is)
A well paid job for life for all your children, no need to apply, just load the tax payers up with more spongers.
Multi million pound salary for doing a bit of charity work that everyone else is expected to do for nothing (is that not the definition of charity work)
Several vast palaces to live in when thousands are homeless.
Multi million pound pay rise when everyone else is being squeezed (we really are all in this together)
Only need to work 3 days a week, 5 months a year and an expensive department at Clarence house to spin that, and convince many easily conned taxpayers that you are a real grafter working all the hours under the sun.
Oh yes, being part of a self perpetuating, unelected elite that can never be removed from power no matter how corrupt, incompetent, lazy and greedy you are, certainly has a lot of advantages.
:fishing:

If you are referring to Public Schools as the "best education money can buy (taxpayers money that is)", then you are wrong. They are not funded by the taxpayer, but by the parents or relatives of the pupil, who also pay Council Tax, which includes funding for State Schools. Privately-educated families actually pay twice for education - once for their own child and once towards everyone else's.

Remember also that the Royals do not choose the life they lead, but feel duty-bound due to the inherited nature of the Monarch being Head of State. Some Royals do "drop out". Others do have paid employment because few of them receive money from the Civil List these days. The Civil List is not paid for by taxpayers, but from the income from Crown Lands on which the Royals also pay taxes. If Royals' names were not on the Charities' headed notepaper, then such Charities would not be so trusted, and would receive far less money from donations.

The Queen has little power or opportunity to be corrupt. Our constitutional system is one of checks and balances, where the Head of State (the monarch), Parliament and the Judiciary all counter-check each other. A Presidential system is far more open to corruption and backhanders and is vastly more expensive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here