Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Beatles

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
Lammy said:
My mum has seen the Beatles live TWICE!

That might be what she said at the time but I heard she was really seeing some guy called Frank instead.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
....and just to add. There is no wrong or right to who or what is best, and some of us change our mind from day top day of who is the best band or singer etc. Art is there for us all to discuss and challenge what we have known before.

The Stones have given us Bitter Sweet Symphony. The Beatles, likewise, have given the twenty minute Hole, from The Chemical Brothers. Whilst, without, The Kinks, Weller and Blur would have lacked a certain something.

Ray Davies has give us one fantastic image though which is in a gallery, at the North Road end of Kensington Gardens. Terry and Julie, in their heyday, as snapped by Terry O'Neil.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
The first few albums by the Kinks and the Stones were very in thrall to the first Beatles impact - though clearly a little more obviously bluesy. Jagger and Richards had to be inspired by a lazy Lennon and McCartney knock-off - one given on a Beatles album for Ringo to sing, ferchrissake - before starting to pen their own stuff, and while they put out decent singles, I personally don't find too much of innovation or interest in their albums, certainly nowhere near the blend of curiosity, range, sheen and pure melodic perfection of every Beatles LP.

The Beatles and The Kinks albums are so much more enjoyable and intriguing, especially as Ray Davies reacted against and away the prevailing late-Sixties, early-Seventies trends on Village Green... or the underrated Percy (shame about the shoddy, penis transplant movie it soundtracked...)

Oh, and The Byrds were a band that took risks and side-turnings on every album, while remaining lovely to listen to... Even when they lost Gram Parsons to helping, ahem, the Rolling Stones become more interesting, handing them "Wild Horses" on a plate for starters... :)

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
The speed in which their music changed has always amazed me.

From 'She Loves You' to 'Tomorrow Never Knows' in 3 years!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Bootleg Beatles concert last night was terrific as ever... who was the Brighton fan at the back of the balcony shouting 'SEAGULLLLS' though!? :lolol:

gwpdylan

Jul 26, 2006
was in a pub few weeks back and a couple of lads were chatting about 60's and they were totally in awe of dylan hendrix and doors, as well as recent music. guess they about 17 and tell you what they were well informed on music...as a 53 year old i am glad to have come up thru those years and still love current stuff...

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
My favourite is Rubber Soul. A beautiful album and more consistent in it's sound than many that followed.

cheshunt seagull said:

You are right - but I also might add that they made the chirpy 'Yeah Yeah Yeah' pop with the mop-tops shaking, at a time when they were actually paying a lot of pop homage looking backward to Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly and The Everly Brothers..... and at the other end, by 'Tomorrow Never Knows' they were playing at being space-age'nts to studio experientation, and doing something they must have thought was fairly futuristic.
At the forefront of a new and burgeoning artisitic assault, and peering to see a summit to climb towards, several bands were losing the concept of instrumental boundaries. Not least influencial in this period were, in their own awful way, the record companies! They were apt to decline anything that they considered obscure or uncommercial, until the greater authority of the record-buying public decided to buy it en masse. Only a groups with clout such as The Beatles weilded, could force the changes.
The leaping bounds being enacted with abandon, were inspired by the changing drug 'scene'.
The abandonment of mental boundaries translated through music, fashion, art, dance, morals, television.....

Not that these mini-revolutions hadn't happened before, because in the earlier part of the century, jazz had so severely/wonderfully revolutionised music as to be a major societal threat!
Religion felt threatened, the generations' future was shaking! Mothers and Fathers forbade their young to hear it, media shunned and vilified it, "the music of the devil"! Bloody hell and fire, eternal damnation for the lost souls who accepted the lyric-less notes bursting from tin speakers!! Roll over Beethoven, tell Chopin the news

'Tomorrow Never Knows' wasn't a weird or outrageous beat or tune, if you hum it, it's absolutely basic, un-complex. It's the way the beat is expressed, the new sounds coming from recognized intruments, in disorder that culminated in a fairly simple order!
While McCartney wanted everyone to get up and dance to a song that was a hit before your Mother was born - Lennon wanted us to lay down all thought, surrender to the void, which is shining!
('The Void' was the original title)

So, one was doing Vaudeville, 'Honey Pie' and 'When I'm Sixty-Four', while the provocative other was out there, Helter Skeltering Across The Universe, reaching for the inner light!

Turn off your mind, relax
and float down stream
It is not dying
It is not dying

Lay down all thought
Surrender to the void
It is shining
It is shining

That you may see
The meaning of within
It is being
It is being

That love is all
And love is everyone
It is knowing
It is knowing

That ignorance and hate
May mourn the dead
It is believing
It is believing

But listen to the
color of your dreams
It is not living
It is not living

Or play the game
existence to the end
Of the beginning
Of the beginning
Of the beginning
Of the beginning
Of the beginning
Of the beginning

This was probably the beginning of the end of The Beatles. The beginning had served its' purpose, and with the World sitting up and taking notice, Lennon and McCartney started taking completely opposing musical tracks.

cheshunt seagull said:

The Beatles themselves struggled to rise above the dross to win a contract before Parlophone picked them up. They lost out in an audition at Decca, to Brian Poole and The Tremeloes! Many laughed at that exec who turned them down, but their audition featured rather a shambolic and exceedingly dull selection of tunes, and BP&theTrems had a good professional approach and sound even then.

The Beatles were not as apparently obvious as brilliant talents, until they got the confidence to turn their influences, into good songwriting of their own.

Another thing - the whole of the British music scene moved fast in those years. The Merseybeat and crooner hits of 1963, to the more intelligent and involved material offered up by The Kinks, Zombies, Yardbirds and Who. It wasn't only credit to The Beatles, though they can be credited as being at the leading edge at that great and exciting time.
Anyone who is interested in what the 'fab four' were about back then, should certainly give The Zombies 'Odessey and Oracle' a listen, 'Face To Face' or 'Controversy' by The Kinks.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
You'll be suprised to see how far the younger generation will go back to find quality music. Pink Floyd, The Kinks, and of course.. The Beatles.

Will there ever be another Beatles?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Biscuit said:
You'll be suprised to see how far the younger generation will go back to find quality music. Pink Floyd, The Kinks, and of course.. The Beatles.

Will there ever be another Beatles?

Never, but does there need to be? They raised the bar and it hasn't been raised since in terms of the level of innovation and influence

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
the beatles swung the pendulum from the us back to the uk ! fact!
but i prefer the stones.

yellow submarine and i want to hold your hand , dont really do it for me!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
wigman said:
the beatles swung the pendulum from the us back to the uk ! fact!
but i prefer the stones.

yellow submarine and i want to hold your hand , dont really do it for me!

I love the stones too, managed to see them in Cardiff last year!

Still, there isn't a song in the Beatles back catalogue I don't like, and their are stones songs that grate me.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Jam The Man said:
Never, but does there need to be? They raised the bar and it hasn't been raised since in terms of the level of innovation and influence

I think we might need a band like them again, someone or something to remind us about love in all that.. :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here