Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Beatles

Lord Cornwallis said:
As one of the older members,I saw them live at the Hamersmith Odean Christmas 1966, along with the Yardbirds and Freddie and the Dreamers,so put that in your pipe and smoke it.
I was eleven.

Erm....are you sure it was Christmas 66?
I understood their last ever live show was at Shea Stadium, in 1966, at the end of a US tour - not counting the Get Back session on top of a building, where they did some three songs only, I believe.

I'm jealous to hear that you saw The Yardbirds anyway, great combo, and my faves along with the orrible 'Oo.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
NMH said:
Isn't it just a remixing of old stuff (approved by Paul and Ringo, mostly for the $$$ sake I suspect)?

Not at all. If they wanted to cheapen the Beatles name and make cash there is a load of ways to do it.

Love is a fantastic album. It wasn't just approved by McCartney and Ringo it was co made with them. Some wonderful new slants on old songs, it makes that 'Beatles sound' totally upto date and its beautifully and respectfully put together.

I love the stones, saw them a few months back in Cardiff. Wear my licks shirt now! Amazing band, but the Beatles, in my opinion, just nick it. The music was fantastic, but they crossed more style/were more diverse than the stones.

Ringo said:
Not at all. If they wanted to cheapen the Beatles name and make cash there is a load of ways to do it.

Love is a fantastic album. It wasn't just approved by McCartney and Ringo it was co made with them. Some wonderful new slants on old songs, it makes that 'Beatles sound' totally upto date and its beautifully and respectfully put together.

I love the stones, saw them a few months back in Cardiff. Wear my licks shirt now! Amazing band, but the Beatles, in my opinion, just nick it. The music was fantastic, but they crossed more style/were more diverse than the stones.

But it IS just remixes of old material, right? Nothing in the way of out-takes that didn't make albums, or stuff that just didn't work out at the time of original inception?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
NMH said:
But it IS just remixes of old material, right? Nothing in the way of out-takes that didn't make albums, or stuff that just didn't work out at the time of original inception?

I believe some previously unheard material from past recording sessions has found its way onto the album. Can't swear by it tho.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Ringo said:
I believe some previously unheard material from past recording sessions has found its way onto the album. Can't swear by it tho.

A lot of it is made up of studio demos and out-takes, such as Strawberry Fields and Lady Madonna, plus amusing spoken banter between them.
All told, it's all beautifully done.
Especially liking, at the moment, the version of Get Back beginning with THAT chord from Hard Day's Night then the drum solo from The End.

It's a novelty bonus of an album, sure, but a lovely one at that.

Aug 2, 2004
SW France
Tesco in Disguise said:
as a mere youngster i have always been into modern music, championing those of my gereration rather than harking back to the music my parents would listen to, though they would always say it was better. but i have discovered i have been wasting my time. over the last couple of days i have started to investigate more seriously the back catalogue of the beatles. most recently i have listened to abbey road, magical mystery tour and let it be and they have totally blown me away. i cannot believe this music was being made 40 years ago and i say to anyone who was lucky enough to be growing up during that era that they don't know how lucky they were. i urge anyone that's into today's indie/rock/electronic to invest time in listening to as much beatles as they can get their hands on. they truly were the fathers of modern music.

:bowdown:
In my opinion........shit and over-rated

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I prefer Buddy Holly.

and he'd been dead 5 years before the Beatles copying his style hit the bigtime.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Icy Gull said:
and he'd been dead 5 years before the Beatles copying his style hit the bigtime.
Wouldn't worry about it, the ignorant do this and have been doing this every time the Beatles get mentioned on here. It's their loss, of course.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Buddy Holly was the first person to try an echo effect and to get it recorded in an aircraft hangar.

However I love the Beatles.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I heard the Love thing the other day and i thought it sounded fantastic

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Man of Harveys said:
Wouldn't worry about it, the ignorant do this and have been doing this every time the Beatles get mentioned on here. It's their loss, of course.

I'm not sure if that is a dig or whether you are agreeing???

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Icy Gull said:
I'm not sure if that is a dig or whether you are agreeing???
I certainly wasn't having a dig (I never do...) But comparing Buddy Holly's work to the Beatles is like saying you prefer raw chunks of marble to Michelangelo's David or unlaid bricks and panes of glass to Chartres Cathedral. Just my HO.

But maybe the merits of other musicians is best for another thread? Whatever.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Man of Harveys said:
But comparing Buddy Holly's work to the Beatles is like saying you prefer raw chunks of marble to Michelangelo's David or unlaid bricks and panes of glass to Chartres Cathedral. Just my HO.

Can't agree but hey ho

Last edited:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
NMH said:
Isn't it just a remixing of old stuff (approved by Paul and Ringo, mostly for the $$$ sake I suspect)?

Well paul does have a one-legged harpy to pay off.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Man of Harveys said:
I don't think this a thread discussing that, be off with you. :)

The greatest composers of music in the modern era. FACT.

Not better than Jagger and Richards as song writers - no way - The Beatle were righting teeny bopper stuff for 5 years whilst the Stones came straight in with there big stuff. Satisfaction was 65 and the Beatles were still wanting to '' hold your hand.''

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here