Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Beatles

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Man of Harveys said:
Wouldn't worry about it, the ignorant do this and have been doing this every time the Beatles get mentioned on here. It's their loss, of course.

As Alan Partridge said,.

Wings................... The band the Beatles could have been :lol:

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Lord Cornwallis said:
As one of the older members,I saw them live at the Hamersmith Odean Christmas 1966, along with the Yardbirds and Freddie and the Dreamers,so put that in your pipe and smoke it.
I was eleven.

I was lucky enough to see them at The Hippodrome & Helen Shapiro was top of the bill!!
Also saw The Rolling Stones at the old Hove Town Hall, countless other groups & solo artists at The Essoldo & at The Chinese Jazz Club [Aquarium].
It was fantastic being a teenager in those days in Brighton.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
H block said:
Not better than Jagger and Richards as song writers - no way - The Beatle were righting teeny bopper stuff for 5 years whilst the Stones came straight in with there big stuff. Satisfaction was 65 and the Beatles were still wanting to '' hold your hand.''
I adore the Stones but that's just not true - listen to the Beatles albums, not just the singles - the Rolling Stones couldn't even write a song until the Beatles had already conquered the world. And we're still waiting for their Sergeant Pepper/Revolver/Abbey Road/Rubber Soul/White Album/Let It Be - no Stones album comes anywhere near close. And the "bad boys" stuff - which still holds water - was all a potent and brilliant creation of manager Andrew Loog Oldham anyway. The Stones were far posher than any of the Beatles.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Man of Harveys said:
I don't think this a thread discussing that, be off with you. :)

The greatest composers of music in the modern era. FACT.

Not better than Jagger and Richards as song writers - no way - The Beatle were righting teeny bopper stuff for 5 years whilst the Stones came straight in with there big stuff. Satisfaction was 65 and the Beatles were still wanting to '' hold your hand.''

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Man of Harveys said:
I adore the Stones but that's just not true - listen to the Beatles albums, not just the singles - the Rolling Stones couldn't even write a song until the Beatles had already conquered the world. And we're still waiting for their Sergeant Pepper/Revolver/Abbey Road/Rubber Soul/White Album/Let It Be - no Stones album comes anywhere near close. And the "bad boys" stuff - which still holds water - was all a potent and brilliant creation of manager Andrew Loog Oldham anyway. The Stones were far posher than any of the Beatles.

Tried to keep out of this but that is absolute Bollocks, imho. I grew up with both of them and the stones were just as innovative as the Beatles and just as respected at the time, probably more so by people over 16 in my experience

Aftermath
Between the Buttons
Beggar's Banquet
Let it Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main St

All the above albums don't only come close to but eclipse the Beatles, again just imo.

There is no right and wrong in this discussion but you seem to be trying to steamroller your OPINION through on this as being the correct one
:)

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
H block said:
Am I stuck in a time warp?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Icy Gull said:
There is no right and wrong in this discussion but you seem to be trying to steamroller your OPINION through on this as being the correct one
Yes, it's called "expressing your point of view". It's kind-of what message boards are for - feel free to disagree. Do you know Frank?

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Man of Harveys said:

I`m not getting into their personalities just the music. nothing wrong with posh anyway some of my best friends eat with a knife as well as their fork.

Am not going to list all the great Stones albums as I think you know them but their music had and still has a rawer edge then almost anything the Beatles did. Great band as the Beatles were they still appeal more to middle of the road fans compared to Stones followers. The Stones songs like Mothers little helpers and many others were addressing issues that were relevant to a older audience at the time.The Beatles came through with those themes later.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Icy Gull said:
Tried to keep out of this but that is absolute Bollocks, imho. I grew up with both of them and the stones were just as innovative as the Beatles and just as respected at the time, probably more so by people over 16 in my experience

Aftermath
Between the Buttons
Beggar's Banquet
Let it Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main St

All the above albums don't only come close to but eclipse the Beatles, again just imo.

that's my view too. exile on main street must be the finest LP ever recorded

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Icy Gull said:

Aftermath
Between the Buttons
Beggar's Banquet
Let it Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main St

God you forget how many great albums they did. They were pretty damn good at Twickers this summer. Would not have got off listening to Love me do and I wanna hold your hand though.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
They were the best British group of the 60s and one of the best ever.

They wrote songs that could be intelligent, witty, savage or moving and put them over tunes that are memorable without being irritating.

They have inspired at least half of the best British bands since.

Ladies and Gentlemen....................The Kinks.

I will never understand the obsession with Beatles vs Stones - both second-rate in comparison.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
crasher said:

They wrote songs that could be intelligent, witty, savage or moving and put them over tunes that are memorable without being irritating.

I will never understand the obsession with Beatles vs Stones - both second-rate in comparison.

agreed. kinks were just phenominal. SHANG-RA-LAAAAAAA!

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
crasher said:

ooooooooow controversial!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
crasher said:

Ray Davies is a good call, shame his repertoire of quality songs falls short of the Beatles or Stones, hence the reason he is probably omitted from the discussion by most people? I'm struggling to think of more than 15 great Kinks songs

Last edited:

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Icy Gull said:
Ray Davies is a good call, shame his repertoire of quality songs falls short of the Beatles or Stones, hence the reason he is probably omitted from the discussion by most people? I'm struggling to think of more than 15 great Kinks songs

"Only" 15 great songs? You're a hard man to please :)

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
crasher said:
"Only" 15 great songs? You're a hard man to please :)

Absolutely...if you want to stand them alongside the Stones and the Beatles, which it seems you do ;)

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Super Furry Animals are better than all these bands.

Go back to NSP :cool:

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
H block said:
well said (h block ) i couldnt of put it better myself!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here