Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Beatles..............

There's a lot about The Beatles that people don't realise, and there's a lot of over-dramatising about them because they were THE band of the times.

For instance, many of the songs credited to 'Lennon/McCartney' weren't always really collaborations, especially later ones after the intial tab-collar fab four pop period.
Lennon was a charismatic figurehead, even in the eyes of Paul, who joined the slightly older John Lennon's band, basically.
I think John was also both demanding, and yet somewhat disdainful of the wave of regard for Paul at times.

Their demise wasn't as bitter and acrimonious as people seem to believe. They were falling out and unhappy, yes, but the concept some people buy that Yoko was the catalyst is overblown. They were naturally moving in different directions, and were also affected by egos and expectations.

Anyway - tough to put one track down as their greatest - among Guitar Gently Weeps, Lose That Girl, Happy Just to Dance With You, Things We said, Tomorrow Never Knows, If I Fell, Penny Lane, Paperback Writer, Night Before, MMTour, Leaving Home, Nowhere Man, Fool On The Hill, Let it Be, Mother Should Know, Only Love, Long Winding Road, For No-one, Help, and Golden Slumbers, there are loads of outstanding pieces that can change your mind with each song.

I'm drawn to pick Penny Lane, as it refers in a charming reminiscent way, and so cleverly in a song, to their roots and their city.
I have this US Demo copy of the single, which includes a short added cornet solo at the end - unreleased elsewhere for the interest of those Beatles aficionados;
[yt]siy4KYp8_p4[/yt]

Anyway, for one that can 'sit well' as a uniform work involving all the band I'll choose 'Hello Goodbye' as my particular pick. It's also a lovely stirring song, the vocal harmonies are perfect, and all the vocal and instrumental embellishments represent pieces of The Beatles' overall beauty throughout their pop history as a group.

[yt]KyuJlrQRRlk[/yt]

. That was a one liner that's become a bloody urban myth. He was an absolutely genius drummer, as any serious muso will tell you. Drums for the song every time - he's Dave grohl's all time hero

Absolutely.
Because Ringo looked so flippant and effortless, belies the fact that he created and delivered the absolutely perfect fills and backing for every song.
The concept that he was the "luckiest" drummer alive is bullshit, he seriously was that good, and his work was integral as George on the instrumental side.
Paul did have some talent on drums enough to be able to write or suggest some of the backing, but then he was bassist and he had to know something about what the drummer was doing!

When you come across someone credibly repeating John's jokey aside, or saying Ringo was just in the right place and time and got lucky - I'm afraid there you have a muso-wannabe who's just repeating what they heard someone else say so they can attempt to sound like they know something about music.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
So many good songs to choose from, particularly post '65.
I always love their songs will several completely different sections, hence would plump for either Happiness is a warm gun or You'll never give your money.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Strange that this thread comes along as my boy (10) has recently IMMERSED himself in them. 'Savoy Truffle', 'Walrus', 'She Loves You' and 'Love Me Do' seem to be on a constant loop in our house at the moment. 'Bootleg Beatles' tkts purchased today as well as his first Lennon style Breton cap. Safe to say, he's a tad obsessed with him . . .

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332005477.246027.jpg

I'm actually envious of him as discovering these as brand new songs must be amazing

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Here's a couple of somewhat less obvious faves:

I saw her standing there.

We can work it out.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
The Let It Be version of Get Back, well that would be the track of the moment. Either that or A Day In The Life or Help!

......and McCartney swearing in Hey Jude!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The Beatles are not a band that I'd say were one of my favourites, but there's probably more beatles on my favourites playlist on my ipod than any other band. Theres always something of theirs that I like, whatever my mood.
Overall favourite though, While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Or maybe A Day in the Life

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
What was their greatest track ?

Very evocative subject as there is literally loads to think about and maybe we could have a poll but I can't be arsed.

Well for me Strawberry Fields Forever is the one, to this day it really is awesome.

Whoa, what a question?!

My Mum took me to see the Beatles at the Brighton Hippodrome in 1964 when I was 12. I seem to remember it completely in black and white and hardly heard any of the songs for the wall of screams from the girls in the audience.

Throughout my teenage years the Beatles were a constant backdrop, evolving their sometimes raucous, often simple but haunting melodies into a sophistication that we somehow took for granted. Other concerts (mostly at the Dome), more urgent, more exciting, more edgy, stole the limelight; Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Who, Free, Cream, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin.

And then they were no more but still a procession of other bands monopolised my attention; Roxy Music, Cockney Rebel, David Bowie, Jackson Browne, Bob Seger etc. etc.,

But it's only with age and retrospection that I realised that however much all those bands and artists moved me, the Beatles were truely the greatest band of all.

Given the range and impact and quality of their music, I could no more pick a Beatles Best track than I could chose a Brighton Best player.

Yes, a very evocative subject and a question I can't answer!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
In the very early days I preferred the Rolling Stones to the Beatles, and have had other favourite bands as well starting off with the likes of cream and the Allman Brothers Band.

But would Maintain that Sgt Pepper is arguably the best album ever made by anybody anywhere, particularly when you think what else was going on at the time.

And "A Day in the Life" just really does it for me.

But I must also admit that when I bought the Beatles album of Number Ones, I found myself playing "We Can Work it Out" more than anything else - superb song superbly executed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here