Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2024-25 Season]

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
I was up in Braemar only 4 weeks ago doing the Tourist bit with Mrs Jakarta before an offshore trip and we noticed how the temperature was hovering around freezing and that there was already snow on the hilltops when back in Sunny Aberdeen where we were staying (only 50 or so miles away) it was quite mild - obviously the Highlands have their own microclimate?

I lived in Aberdeenshire for a year in 1989, a few miles outside at Fyvie. I experienced pretty much what you are saying mate re temperatures

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Its a balmy -2C up here. Time for the shorts, t-shirt, deckchair and barbeque I think

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
A few flakes falling at Littlehampton at the mo, very very few though

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Papa

Do you reckon a thaw tomorrow will occur in time to make a journey by car c 4pm from Sevenoaks to Saltdean (appreciate major roads will be fine, but worried about untreated minor roads) a sensible option?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Papa

Do you reckon a thaw tomorrow will occur in time to make a journey by car c 4pm from Sevenoaks to Saltdean (appreciate major roads will be fine, but worried about untreated minor roads) a sensible option?

Ypu should have no trouble at all - main roads almost the whole way and if iffy at Saltdean end, just park safely and walk the last bit.

I drove from Tunbridge Wells to Ashford last night to collect my wife from Eurostar (had to get off because if she'd gone to London there were no trains back to this part of Kent). Came back and was forced to drive on to Godstone (pile up on motorway) then back along A25 through Oxted and Westerham. A bit slippy but not too bad. Virtually the only car on the road at 7pm. The only tricky part was getting out of our road at the start! Drive carefully and take a shovel/sand and you'll be totally fine today, so if it thaws tomorrow, should be a doddle.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Ypu should have no trouble at all - main roads almost the whole way and if iffy at Saltdean end, just park safely and walk the last bit.

I drove from Tunbridge Wells to Ashford last night to collect my wife from Eurostar (had to get off because if she'd gone to London there were no trains back to this part of Kent). Came back and was forced to drive on to Godstone (pile up on motorway) then back along A25 through Oxted and Westerham. A bit slippy but not too bad. Virtually the only car on the road at 7pm. The only tricky part was getting out of our road at the start! Drive carefully and take a shovel/sand and you'll be totally fine today, so if it thaws tomorrow, should be a doddle.

Many thanks THRK.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Beautiful clear blue skies over Sullington - has stayed below freezing all day (around -3 Centigrade) and can't see how BBC forecast for tomorrow of +7 Centigrade can possibly happen?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Forecast for Newhaven now saying a 10 degree rise in temperature between 6pm (-7!) and 9pm (+3), followed by heavy rain later tonight as the wind swings round to the SW. Freezing fog is closing in here in Lewes. I can't believe we wont get more snow at least at first and/or some freezing rain turning to ice when it hits the very cold ground.

PG

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Shoreham is registering an incredible -8.4C at the moment ! but, the low pressure coming in combined with the increasing wind will mean a very fast huge melt of our precious snow..... 6C by 6 am:eek:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Beautiful clear blue skies over Sullington - has stayed below freezing all day (around -3 Centigrade) and can't see how BBC forecast for tomorrow of +7 Centigrade can possibly happen?

Think they are having a laugh there, although it is usually colder north of the Downs than on the coast in the winter and the opposite in the summer, because of the warming and cooling effects of the sea respectively...at least that was the case from memory in Storrington, and as Sullington began at the top of the road where we lived, I imagine there too!

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
bbc saying -6 at 12am then 9c at 6am?????????? methcheck say snow snowers and 1c its still freezing outside?????

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Anyone in and around Gatwick? Forecast says -7c up until around midnight then highs of 1c (seeing as we're flying at 6am tomorrow), with a snow shower tonight.
Doesnt look like we will be going.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Gatwick Airport is open

Gatwick Airport is open, however, passengers should expect delays and cancellations as it is likely to take a few days before flight schedules return to normal.
Our advice to passengers remains - do not travel to the airport without first checking with your airline to make sure that your flight is departing.
Train services to and from the airport continue to be limited, however bus services are also available. Please plan your journey to the airport carefully and allow extra time for both road and rail journeys.
Follow us on Twitter for the latest updates.
http://www.gatwickairport.com/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here