Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

* * * The Ashes - Official Thread * * *

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Collingwood wanted a single off the 5th ball, Anderson says no, then Colly out 6th ball. f***ing shambles.

Anyone saying drop Collingwood now is an idiot. No one else in the team could have taken that magnificent catch to dismiss Ponting.

We're still in good shape though. The WACA is he Aussie's favourite pitch. There's still Sydney to come which is right up Swann's street.

And Collingwood is a recognised batsman, Anderson was the night watchman. Not much point Anderson facing the last ball which according to form he'd have been in more danger of.

Sounds to me (though I haven't seen it) that Colly had a bit of a wobble..

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
No need to panic. We only need to win one Test and we're sorted. I would definitely bring in Morgan for Collingwood though. I'm not sure Collingwood actually contributes anything apart from great slip fielding. With Broad out and Tremlett in the tail is one man longer so we can less afford someone in the middle order not scoring.

When you go into a test, in that cliamate, with three seamers and one spinner, having someone like Colly who can bowl 5 over spells so the quicks can have a breather in important. It happened this morning before we could take the new ball, and he picked up the wicket of Johnson.
Also he is a superb fielder, his catch to get rid of Ponting was world class.
Addmittedly his batting form is poor at the moment, but Morgan hasn't had a meaningful innings on tour yet, would he do any better?

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
so 1-1 about right
aussies on top first 3 days off 1st test we hit back in last 2 days
2nd test all us
3rd test al them

so 1-1 is fair

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
so 1-1 about right
aussies on top first 3 days off 1st test we hit back in last 2 days
2nd test all us
3rd test al them

so 1-1 is fair

Agreed, looks like the Boxing Day test at the 100,000 first day sold out MCG will be a belter, already arranged to go round the corner with my family to a mate's house who has a pool - that's our Boxing Day sorted.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Probably speaking out of turn but never seen a match look more like a set up in my life, probably to keep the series more interesting.
It looked almost scripted and these referal thingys are just a joke, umpires don't know what desicion to make for fear of being embarrassed.
Suspect some Pakistani betting group involved somewhere.
Never went today and just as well, would have taken longer to get there and back just to witness 50min of s**t.
I don't believe the style of play, there was a possible 215 overs left in the game, just under 2 runs an over would have done it only had to wait for the bad ball.
T20 has alot to answer for I reckon, they all think they can get 100 in 25 balls.
Well pissed off. :tosser:

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
You have to give credit to Ponting, he take's Hilfenhause off when he's going for 1 an over & let's Ryan Harris bowl from his end, despite going for a few.

Straight away Cook is out. Cook was the key to England chasing down the total in 2 days.

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
PISSSSSSS poor batting performance imho top order with the exception of cook threw their wickets away flouncing at balls which could have been let go....!!! MASSIVE disappointment , the fragile English sporting psyche rears it's withered little head again. SHYTE.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Got up this morning hoping to see Bell 130 no and Prior 110 no so in with a chance, should have stayed in bed. Our top order didnt do us justice but it was the bottom end of the Aussies innings that did us. We gave away too many runbs and allowed them a ;lead in the first innings. We have got to work out how to get Hussey out if we can do that early we will win the series.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
yep we were rubbish in this test, any small consolation is that Ponting is terribly out of form with the bat which is always good! Cant wait for the Boxing Day test now, 1-1 and as even as you like!

astill86

Nov 3, 2009
Haywards Heath
we will go on and lose 3-1 in the ashes and i hope im wrong and they might make some changes as we were rubbish and outplayed

I hope you're wrong too. This would have given the Aussies a big confidence boost and has probably swung the momentum in their favour. I think we need to change at least Collingwood as he looks woefully out if form, I'm not sure the selectors will though, they are often reluctant to drop him.

As for the bowlers they did ok and the selectors don't seem to want to play 5 so not sure if they'll change anything there, especially as we were skittled out twice. I hope they don't bring in Bresnan because they're worried about the batting as although he will put in max effort, he's not likely to be particularly threatening wicket wise.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Bell at 5 to give him more time to bat with batsman rather than the tail. Colly to bat at 6 and grind a few out when under pressure. No other changes needed. We lost ONE game!

astill86

Nov 3, 2009
Haywards Heath
Bell at 5 to give him more time to bat with batsman rather than the tail. Colly to bat at 6 and grind a few out when under pressure. No other changes needed. We lost ONE game!

You're probably right that's what I think they might do. I just think Collingwood looks in really poor form, although tell him the next game is his last and he'll probably scratch out a ton as he has done before.

I suppose the only other batsman in the squad is Morgan and he hasn't been that convincing in tests so far.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Probably speaking out of turn but never seen a match look more like a set up in my life, probably to keep the series more interesting.
It looked almost scripted and these referal thingys are just a joke, umpires don't know what desicion to make for fear of being embarrassed.
Suspect some Pakistani betting group involved somewhere.
Never went today and just as well, would have taken longer to get there and back just to witness 50min of s**t.
I don't believe the style of play, there was a possible 215 overs left in the game, just under 2 runs an over would have done it only had to wait for the bad ball.
T20 has alot to answer for I reckon, they all think they can get 100 in 25 balls.
Well pissed off. :tosser:
Almost word for word what my uncle said to me this morning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here