Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

* * * The Ashes - Official Thread * * *

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Strauss edges about a millimetre short of Ponting, yet to get off the mark *phew*

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Jonathan Agnew on twitter:

"Aus 268 all out and, combined with stints on BBC and ABC, Aggers finishes with 8 for!! Hurrah. Career best"

:lolol:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Johnson into the attack....interesting.

Stumpy Tim

The last wicket stand the Ozzies had reminded me of England a few years back when we were shit. Turned a REALLY shit score to just a shit score - kidding the public into thinking they're still in this. Of course, the fact that tailenders are making half-centuries suggests it's a decent pitch to bat on

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The last wicket stand the Ozzies had reminded me of England a few years back when we were shit. Turned a REALLY shit score to just a shit score - kidding the public into thinking they're still in this. Of course, the fact that tailenders are making half-centuries suggests it's a decent pitch to bat on

That's what I was rather hoping :thumbsup:

Steve Waugh (woh woh, what is he good for) seemed to think earlier it would get better to bat on.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Hi all. Made it through to lunch but that was it, woken to find we batting so am happy with that for sure

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Can someone please explain to me why when I drove to work today from 08:30 - 09:00, Radio 4 Longwave had Ed Lightweight, Call Me Dave and Nick 2 sugars Clegg banging on about Jobs instead of the TMS crowd explaining the cricket?

I know it's available on Sports extra but how many people have digital in thier cars? I flicked between politics and Nicky Campbell banging on about Twitter.

BBC :angry:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What's Johnson ranting about? What an arse, how about you learn to bowl properly before you start having a go at decent Test batsmen.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
29/0 at the close, that'll do for a start.

astill86

Nov 3, 2009
Haywards Heath
What's Johnson ranting about? What an arse, how about you learn to bowl properly before you start having a go at decent Test batsmen.

Yeah I know what was that about!? Fair enough if he'd actually looked like getting him out. Instead he resorted to pitching the ball in his own third of the pitch to make it easier for Strauss to see the day out.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The thing is, if you've been bowling as badly as he has recently, you're just setting yourself up if you start having a go at people. Just makes you look utterly stupid. I'm sure Strauss and Cook would have a few witty retorts if they needed to.

astill86

Nov 3, 2009
Haywards Heath
Reasonable day overall for England. Probably let the Aussies get 50 or so more than they should've done. To see the day through without losing a wicket is a bonus and there doesn't look too much to worry about in the pitch.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Great day for England, and game plan executed perfectly.

I think 268 is 50 runs short of par, especially in light of England's strong batting line-up.

Seeing off those 12 overs was crucial. The Aussies will return to their hotel with all sorts of doubts while England will be brimming with confidence. It is almost unthinkable that the destination of the Ashes will have been settled before the high profile tests in Melbourne and Sydney.

For anyone going out there over Xmas and New Year it is going to be one long piss-taking party. It's too early to think about Ponting's future but the nightmare scenario for him is beginning to unfold.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Great day for England, and game plan executed perfectly.

I think 268 is 50 runs short of par, especially in light of England's strong batting line-up.

Seeing off those 12 overs was crucial. The Aussies will return to their hotel with all sorts of doubts while England will be brimming with confidence. It is almost unthinkable that the destination of the Ashes will have been settled before the high profile tests in Melbourne and Sydney.

For anyone going out there over Xmas and New Year it is going to be one long piss-taking party. It's too early to think about Ponting's future but the nightmare scenario for him is beginning to unfold.
Like.

Except I'd say that 268 is well short of par. England might well rack up 450 on that wicket.

astill86

Nov 3, 2009
Haywards Heath
Like.

Except I'd say that 268 is well short of par. England might well rack up 450 on that wicket.

Yes I would say something around 350 would be par. Although having had them at 69/5 I think we let them off the hook a bit. 268 is still a pretty poor total and 450+ will put us well in control.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just seen the Collingwood effort for the first time.

Whatacatch, What. A. Catch!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here