Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

* * * The Ashes - Official Thread * * *

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Probably already on here somewhere but...hey I guess someone might not have seen it...

"Bollinger opened, Johnson out, Hussey bowled over"

Not a cricket report, but an entry in Shane Warne's diary from his night with Liz Hurley.

I'll be off now then.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
For no other reason that I was reminded of this today and it made me laugh

"Hughes may be small but he will not be intimidated, as he showed whilst scoring 195 against Surrey at The Oval. It was an innings that nobody who was there will forget. No Surrey bowler was spared, but Hughes saved his most savage strokeplay for Andre Nel, the giant former South African fast bowler, who he slapped all round the ground.

Nel's frustration resulted in him bowling a beamer that hit Hughes on the hands in front of his face. The bowler failed to apologise or check the batsman was okay. On regaining his composure, Hughes followed Nel down the pitch without his bat in his hand. It was like David chasing Goliath with Hughes saying: 'You're weak mate, f***ing weak, that's why you quit Test cricket to play as a Kolpak player because you're f***ing weak.' The umpire stopped Hughes before he got close to Nel, who did not turn round to confront his opponent."

Sounds like Hughes has a bit of Jack Russell in his genes, and I don't mean the ex-wicketkeeper !

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
just home from work, a quick dinner then sleep until 2am, see'ya nightcrawlers then :)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
For no other reason that I was reminded of this today and it made me laugh

"Hughes may be small but he will not be intimidated, as he showed whilst scoring 195 against Surrey at The Oval. It was an innings that nobody who was there will forget. No Surrey bowler was spared, but Hughes saved his most savage strokeplay for Andre Nel, the giant former South African fast bowler, who he slapped all round the ground.

Nel's frustration resulted in him bowling a beamer that hit Hughes on the hands in front of his face. The bowler failed to apologise or check the batsman was okay. On regaining his composure, Hughes followed Nel down the pitch without his bat in his hand. It was like David chasing Goliath with Hughes saying: 'You're weak mate, f***ing weak, that's why you quit Test cricket to play as a Kolpak player because you're f***ing weak.' The umpire stopped Hughes before he got close to Nel, who did not turn round to confront his opponent."

The act of no Surrey bowler being spared happens quite regularly, no?

Stumpy Tim

I'm not convinced. Banging it in short isnt the asnwer, especially to hughes and ponting who both cut and pull very strongly. I feel Jimmy A needs someone rock solid at the other end to help him get wickets and am worried that Tremlett will try and bounce it off his toes and prove expensive.

Well England banged it in short to Hughes when he was England & it got him out repeatedly, and he dropped by the Ozzies. He's the one batsman who we should bang it in short too.

The WACA is a ground where bowlers don't need to bang it in short... it will bounce on a length - so it's line & length, but taller bowlers will get that extra lift which is why they get more wickets.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Am going to set the alarm for an early watch tomorrow. I know it starts at 2.30 but what time will lunch and the tea interval be at ?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Should get lift off a length, the important thing is not to give both Hughes or Ponting any width.

Lunch is 04-30 till 05-10, tea 07-10 till 07-30
I'm getting up at 5-00, ten minutes for piss/pony and brsh teeth, go for shower and get dressed at tea break, 1st survey booked at 10-30 so watch al of the last session:cheers:

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Excellant Hailsham. Up at 6.20 for 50 mins, then shit, shower and shave between 07-10 to 07-30 then back for 50 mins before going off to work.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Will be shut eye in an hour, then up around 3-30am. see how game going and decide from there!

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
lets not get carried away.
hughes has batting average of 51
johnson home ground is waca
smith is a decent batsman & does spin the ball

england will have to bat well because we may struggle to get 20 wickets at perth.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Bugger of times for this one. I have to leave for work at 5.40 every day, so starts well too late for me to watch the start, and even if I crawl out of my pit early I'll only catch about half an hour after lunch. Got to try and blag another WFH Friday I think then I can do an all nighter tomorrow.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Will get up sometime during the night as I do most nights then it is everythingontv to stream it on my laptop.

Must try to get the laptop wired into tv but it is abit technical for me so went into Maplins they suggested taking a photo of the tv connections then taking the photos and laptop into them and they will provide the correct leads.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
Well England banged it in short to Hughes when he was England & it got him out repeatedly, and he dropped by the Ozzies. He's the one batsman who we should bang it in short too.

The WACA is a ground where bowlers don't need to bang it in short... it will bounce on a length - so it's line & length, but taller bowlers will get that extra lift which is why they get more wickets.

fair point, but englsh grounds are SO different to the ozzie strips. The ockers are used to perth and we arent. I hope finn and tremlett can provide the support and tight lines that Jimmy A needs to get our wickets. As Hailsham has said, short and tight is better than short and wide!!!

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
sounds like my kinda shop! and my way of explaining all things technical

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
probably seems random to ask, but what is best to do to watch the ashes...
shall i go to bed now and then wake up at 2
or
stay up now and watch the ashes from 2

my plan was bed an hour ago, but am crap at just falling asleep like that, so am destined to watch a bit of telly and read a book till 2am. when no doubt i will yawn once to often and awake at stumps!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My worry is that Australia can't possibly be as shit in Perth as they were last time out.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
probably seems random to ask, but what is best to do to watch the ashes...
shall i go to bed now and then wake up at 2
or
stay up now and watch the ashes from 2

For me it depends on whether we are batting or bowling. I can't stand watching us bat, so if we bat I will go to sleep and watch later, if we are bowling I will watch till I drop off......

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
For me it depends on whether we are batting or bowling. I can't stand watching us bat, so if we bat I will go to sleep and watch later, if we are bowling I will watch till I drop off......

That is SO like me Wanderer. Even when we are doing great I expect every delivery bowled to get an England wicket lol, totally irrational i know. I guess when we are bowling i actually reached the stage i never expected much so was never disappointed. Mind you having won second test I watched full highlights at least three times!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here