Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

* * * The Ashes - Official Thread * * *

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I can't see what the point is in bringing in the inexperienced, Michael Beer for the Perth Test. Unless I've missed something, traditionaly the WACA is one of the fastest and bounciest wickets in the world ?

Beer is going to be put under immediate pressure to hold an end up while the quicks rotate. Talk about make or break :eek:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Beer plays for the Western Warriors, his home ground is the WACA so they will be hoping for a home advantage so to speak.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Has to be Tremlett for me. He can be unplayable on his day, is a lot more experienced than Shazad and is certainly more menacing than Bresnan. The wicket should suit him also.

With regard to the Aussies, to be honest i'm surprises Smith didn't start the series, whenever i've seen him play in the one dayers he looked quite handy and seemed to have more of the Aussie confidence about him, i'm sure he will be an improvement on North with bat and ball.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Beer is unlikely to play though isn't he? Smith will be the spinner, so Beer would be the second spinner which I can't see the Aussies doing.

They played North with Doherty in the previous two tests so they're certainly happy to play with two spinners (and Smith, like North, is a spinning batsman rather than a frontline bowler). They also haven't got the Clarke option as he's got a bad back. My guess is that the four bowlers will be Johnson, Harris, Beer and Hilfenhaus (with Smith and Watson as back-up).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bouncy old pitch though Gwylan ...... !

Whatever they decide, the Aussie side looks pretty patched up.

I think the key is Johnson. He can be absolutely dreadful, as he was in England and in the first test, but he's got a decent test record and did some damage to South Africa. If he's firing, then Aussies have a chance, if he's crap, then they have none. But I reckon it's a gamble they have to take - i can't see Siddle and Hilfenhaus bowling England out.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Beer's early stats aren't brilliant - 16 wickets at 40 apiece. And the guy will be 27 next birthday.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
From the article referred tp above:

The inclusion of Smith leaves the selectors to choose between a four-man pace attack, or three fast bowlers with Beer as a second spinner. And for all Smith's flaws as a bowler, it makes no sense to play both him and Beer at the WACA. Ben Hilfenhaus, Ryan Harris, Peter Siddle and Mitchell Johnson, who can slide back in as a fourth fast man used in short, sharp spells, is the way to go.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The guy in the black and blue Villa away shirt above you in that pic is one of my best mates here in Sydney. His family now live in Adelaide.. He loved it

I met another Albion fan who was visiting from Sydney on day 2, said he was from Heathfield area.
I'm planning to go to the one day game at the North Sydney Oval tomorrow - should be interesting to see the 25-25-20-20 over format.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I can't see what the point is in bringing in the inexperienced, Michael Beer for the Perth Test. Unless I've missed something, traditionaly the WACA is one of the fastest and bounciest wickets in the world ?

Beer is going to be put under immediate pressure to hold an end up while the quicks rotate. Talk about make or break :eek:

The way I read it they are going to play smith as a batter (replacing north) with beer the spinne possibility of not playing designated spinner but extra seamer.
If that is the case aussies have very strong batting line up but no variation

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Beer plays for the Western Warriors, his home ground is the WACA so they will be hoping for a home advantage so to speak.

True, but he only recently moved to WA and has only played 3 games there, hardly a massive advantage !! If they go with just Smith and 4 quicks that will be a real risk, none of the quicks have set the world alight but they need to play the extra bowler to get 20 wickets. It's great seeing the Aussies with all the issues!!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I met another Albion fan who was visiting from Sydney on day 2, said he was from Heathfield area.
I'm planning to go to the one day game at the North Sydney Oval tomorrow - should be interesting to see the 25-25-20-20 over format.

Did u get his name mate?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
True, but he only recently moved to WA and has only played 3 games there, hardly a massive advantage !! If they go with just Smith and 4 quicks that will be a real risk, none of the quicks have set the world alight but they need to play the extra bowler to get 20 wickets. It's great seeing the Aussies with all the issues!!

There must be England players who have had more games on that square than Beer!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Just a quick bounce of this thread as no-one has mentioned about the England No.7 being the latest to make a Century Down Under - well done our very own Matt Prior :bowdown:

As the MCG is the venue for the Test I'm going to I was a bit worried to see how it was a rain-affected result - it had better be sunny & hot on Boxing Day!:angry:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
yeah well done Matty :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here