Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Ashes; First Test, Cardiff. Match Thread..

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
336/7 is a VERY good score down at Cardiff.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's time to ditch that stupid night watchman policy. It's ridiculous and it NEVER works for England. The only time to play a night watchman is when you're protecting a number 6 or 7 who has spent all day BOWLING.

No need to protect a number 3 or a number 9 who hasn't done anything all day FFS.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Was a bit of a strange night watchman last night but if Jimmy sees out 5-10 overs and sees off the effects of the new ball with Broad then we could creep up to 375+ which would just about keep our nose just in front. You'd then think that Australia would have to get 450 to ensure they weren't chasing more than 300 in the last innings. Quite a lot of rain around at the weekend so I still think a draw could be likely.

Can't help thinking we missed the chance to really dominate on day 1. Bit like when we were 400 all out v Australia at Edgbaston in 2005 whilst we scored well I thought we missed the chance of dominating the game. A good first session and it will tip in our favour.

Oct 25, 2003
Can't help thinking we missed the chance to really dominate on day 1. Bit like when we were 400 all out v Australia at Edgbaston in 2005 whilst we scored well I thought we missed the chance of dominating the game. A good first session and it will tip in our favour.

agreed, the aussies were there for the taking i reckon

just needed pietersen and collingwood to build on what was looking like a SPLENDID partnership

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
If we reach 400 we can win the match. Less than 350 would worrry me.

However the fact the Aussies will be batting last still gives us a very very good chance.

Critical session will be this afternoon, when we will hopefully be knocking the convicts stumps over on a regular basis.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
From Cricinfo: "Six overs, 38 runs. Johnson's winging down some more abuse. Swann winks back. This is superb entertainment"

Lazengenlmun, we have a REAL Ashes series underway.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Let's hope we can keep this up for at least another 10 minutes to give the Aussies an uncomfortable drinks break. These are bonus runs.

Ponting HAS to be concerned. The ball is new but the tail has wagged, every batsman has reached double figures, Siddle's been carted for 121 and Hauritz is 1-79.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What a "Haur-ible" over - 10 more to England...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hilfenhaus and Hauritz? Sounds more like a bad German comedy stand-up act than an Aussie bowling attack...

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here