Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Argus today - Micky Adams on Adam Virgo

Adams said: "He (Virgo)has been a regular player, so I would think he is thinking his versatility is helping him to play every week.
"I do think it sometimes goes against him but, at this level, when you have got small squads, you need people who can adapt to different positions.
"Certainly Adam is one of those. He played right back the other night and I thought he was excellent, really solid and dependable. We are going to need more of that."

Really?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I was going to post a similiar thing. I thought he was terrible, and going through peoples player ratings of the Hereford game, others agree.

I may be a defeatist, but really, what was Adams watching?? Even Virgo's pin point long balls to the goalies hands were going off for throw ins and goal kicks!

I guess good news about Matt Richards and trying to get him permanently, but does it have to go to tribunal if we dont agree a few in January?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I guess good news about Matt Richards and trying to get him permanently, but does it have to go to tribunal if we dont agree a few in January?

Getting Richards permanently would not be good news it would be FANTASTIC, best LB we've had for over 15 years

Getting Richards permanently would not be good news it would be FANTASTIC, best LB we've had for over 15 years

I think it'd be a good to have him here permanently too.

A quote from yesterday's Argus on Richards - for the next person who rants "What does Dean White do? Get rid! Etc".

“ Richards did not expect to be back for a third time when, following two loan stints under Wilkins last season, Albion re-appointed Adams as manager. Adams was happy to rely on the word of his assistant, Dean White, and the 23-year-old has been an integral part of his plans so far."

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Well we can't sign him in January as his contract runs until July. I think he is 24 by July so if we sign him then we get him for nothing.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think it'd be a good to have him here permanently too.

A quote from yesterday's Argus on Richards - for the next person who rants "What does Dean White do? Get rid! Etc".

“ Richards did not expect to be back for a third time when, following two loan stints under Wilkins last season, Albion re-appointed Adams as manager. Adams was happy to rely on the word of his assistant, Dean White, and the 23-year-old has been an integral part of his plans so far."

In fairness I think 90% of Albion fans would have made that recommendation :p

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Adams can't really come out to the press and slag him off can he, I seem to remember either Wilkins or McGhee doing that and everyone got upset about it, including the players.

Mr Blunt

Apr 21, 2008
Brighton
In fairness I think 90% of Albion fans would have made that recommendation :p

Yeah i would be in the 10% who did not want him back. I personally think that he is better going forward than defensively but he cant tackle to well and always gets caught out.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yeah i would be in the 10% who did not want him back. I personally think that he is better going forward than defensively but he cant tackle to well and always gets caught out.

Yes, but you've also said you'd play Virgo ahead of Whing at Right Back, so clearly don't know a full-back from a lemon meringue pie.

Mr Blunt

Apr 21, 2008
Brighton
Sorry thats just my opinion i dont rate Richards or Whing i thought they were poor last year and this.

Im not saying virgo is the answer at all but i thought he did a job there when we got promoted however i would have got two new wing backs in during the summer .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sorry thats just my opinion i dont rate Richards

You're entitled to your view, but please explain these stats for us;

"As Richards prepares for his 50th appearance for the club at Hartlepool on Saturday, the contrast in results with and without Richards in the side since the start of last season can surely not be a complete coincidence. Albion have lost fewer matches in the 49 he has played in than in the 21 when he has been missing. They have also averaged a clean sheet in better than one in every three games with Richards helping to glue the back four together, compared to a shut-out every ten-and-a-half outings in his absence. "

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Sorry thats just my opinion i dont rate Richards or Whing i thought they were poor last year and this.

Im not saying virgo is the answer at all but i thought he did a job there when we got promoted however i would have got two new wing backs in during the summer .

I don't rate Adams which makes me a window licker apparently :p

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Yes, but you've also said you'd play Virgo ahead of Whing at Right Back, so clearly don't know a full-back from a lemon meringue pie.

So that'd be the same Adam Virgo who, I'd guess, played 75% of our play off winning season at right back? And the same Adam Virgo that when coming from the youth system was touted as a right-back.

There's not a lot between Virgo and Whing as right-backs, but at the moment I'd go with Virgo. Whing's distribution has been poor and he's not as fit as he should be, he's the first player every game gasping for breath and looking tired after about 70 minutes.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
There's not a lot between Virgo and Whing as right-backs, but at the moment I'd go with Virgo. Whing's distribution has been poor and he's not as fit as he should be.

If you are going to drop Whing for poor distribution, then why on gods earth would you replace him with someone that is worse in Adam Virgo?

Or do you not mind 60yard high balls straight to the keepers arms, or that go off for a throw in or goal kick?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Good news on Richards. He needs to improve his distribution and cut out his crazy errors but overall worth keeping.
Lets hope Murray isn't risked if not 100% despite what the Argus has implied.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
If you are going to drop Whing for poor distribution, then why on gods earth would you replace him with someone that is worse in Adam Virgo?

Or do you not mind 60yard high balls straight to the keepers arms, or that go off for a throw in or goal kick?

It's not the only reason. I think Virgo's defensive qualities edge Whing's.

I didnt go to Peterborough, so I cant comment on his distribution their. But I'm not going to judge his distribution from the 20 minutes he had at right-back against Hereford with no right-midfielder in front of him. Although his central midfield performences as a whole havent been the best his passing was still far more accomplished than Whing's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here