Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Argus today - Micky Adams on Adam Virgo

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
it would be a dream team MA for the encouragement and shouting at and DW for the actual coaching.

a. I can't see DW wanting to come back.

b. does MA actually do any 'encouragement and shouting' or is that just a myth? I've seen him leave the dugout about three times all season.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
a. I can't see DW wanting to come back.

b. does MA actually do any 'encouragement and shouting' or is that just a myth? I've seen him leave the dugout about three times all season.
He does shouting. Usually at paying customers after his team have played 2 decents games in succession after about 10 shit ones.

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
You're entitled to your view, but please explain these stats for us;

"As Richards prepares for his 50th appearance for the club at Hartlepool on Saturday, the contrast in results with and without Richards in the side since the start of last season can surely not be a complete coincidence. Albion have lost fewer matches in the 49 he has played in than in the 21 when he has been missing. They have also averaged a clean sheet in better than one in every three games with Richards helping to glue the back four together, compared to a shut-out every ten-and-a-half outings in his absence. "

lies, damn lies, and statistics?

In all seriousness yes these are impressive stats but as always with statistics you really need to dig a lot deeper to find anything other than superficial headlines (and I should know as I am equally culpable of picking up on top line stats and highlighting them!)

for example who were the opposition; what was our relative strength at the time (i.e. other players injured/suspended/missing etc.)

an example would be Hinshelwoods reign ... which is statistically significantly worse than Coppell's reign. ... that is the headline stat

But Hinsh was deprived of the services of Bobby Zamora for the vast majority of his reign (in fact we were unbeaten under Hinsh in the first two games of the season that Zammo played 90 mins in! - and the score was 0-0 in the game he got injured at the time he went off!)

Hinsh also lost Kuipers for quite a few games as well and had to make do with Petterson!

so if you dig beneath the raw stats, hinsh had a rough ride --- had he been able to utilise Zamore/Kuipers more fully then things could have been a whole lot different (and we would almost certainly have picked up enough points during that 6-9 game spell to ultimately avoid relegation).

anyway - wandered totally off-topic but hopefully you will agree that it is all lies, damn lies and statistics!

(oh and incidentally I have nothing against Richards - he is a fine player and in my first programme column this season I used virtually the same argument that was rehashed in that quote above!)

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Of course Mr Ferret, you have to take the care, to look more closely at stats.

In this case however, they are SO compelling, that you would need some pretty extraordinary other factors to have come up with them, by chance.

Just to repeat, we have lost LESS times in the 49 games he's played, than in the 21 he's missed.

Or, and I think it sounds even more compelling in reverse;

We've LOST MORE times in the 21 games he's missed, then the 49 he's played.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Some loyal passionate fans are needed first.

Care to elaborate on that comment?

Are you suggesting that people who disagree with Adams' selection policy are automatically not passionate supporters of the club?

Also, who are you demanding we be 'loyal' to?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here