Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Anti Social Network - BBC 3 - 9 PM

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Just a heads up as some of the members on here might want to tune into this.

Regards

US

:thumbsup:

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
i saw this advertised last night, and will definitely be watching.

it's funny these random people who bully strangers are complete cowards when their victim hunts them down.

some people have no life but think they are better than someone who has a lot.

i mean, how does one stoop to the level of trolling? Worse yet, why do they think it's funny? It's sad.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not heard of it, but the premise sounds interesting...

The Anti-Social Network - Presenter Richard Bacon tries to track down the online stalkers who send him inflammatory or insulting messages in the hope of a provoking a response.

I like Bacon, a lot. The podcast of his radio show I'd otherwise miss, if one of my favouritest things.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I just think some of the trolls who frequent this board may like to take the time out and reconsider their actions and they know who they are ? Accountability of actions and words is long overdue rather than hiding behind an anonymous name I think.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Wonder if we'll hear any familiar usernames?

If it's good enough for the Daily Mail...

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I just think some of the trolls who frequent this board may like to take the time out and reconsider their actions and they know who they are ? Accountability of actions and words is long overdue rather than hiding behind an anonymous name I think.

On an entirely unrelated matter I watched 500 Days of Summer for the first time last night and absolutely LOVED it. Kudos on the recommendation, US.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I wonder how many keyboard warriors would troll people if it was compulsory that their name and address was posted rather than a username they've picked? Particularly in instances such as trolling the family and friends of someone who has died.

I've got a lot of time for Richard Bacon

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
On an entirely unrelated matter I watched 500 Days of Summer for the first time last night and absolutely LOVED it. Kudos on the recommendation, US.

A great film :thumbsup:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can't help thinking of that "Life's too short" episode where Warwick tracks down an on line bully and it turns out to be a severely disabled school kid in a motorised wheelchair.

I have read previously that you think you are a victim of internet bullying on here; a few questions for you. If you think you're the victim of bullying why don't you mention it to the mods? If you aren't getting it dealt with to your satisfaction then why don't you go to the police?

With regards to anonymity, there's also something to be said for keeping private information about yourself private especially if you claim to be the victim of sustained internet trolling. And ultimately, if it causes you so much pain then why are you still posting on here and still posting so much personal information about yourself?

Before anyone says, I'm not telling you not to post and I'm not telling you what to post, I'm just pointing out that I know far more about you than a complete stranger should know and this information is out there for eternity. Accountability on the internet is as important for those putting the information out as those who respond to it. You'd do well to remember this.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I can't help thinking of that "Life's too short" episode where Warwick tracks down an on line bully and it turns out to be a severely disabled school kid in a motorised wheelchair.

I was thinking exactly the same, it's quality that moment when the class goes silent and the teacher gets the kid to wheel himself forward.

Any online bully just needs to be directed towards NSC so we can give them the full JAMIE.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have read previously that you think you are a victim of internet bullying on here; a few questions for you. If you think you're the victim of bullying why don't you mention it to the mods? If you aren't getting it dealt with to your satisfaction then why don't you go to the police?

With regards to anonymity, there's also something to be said for keeping private information about yourself private especially if you claim to be the victim of sustained internet trolling. And ultimately, if it causes you so much pain then why are you still posting on here and still posting so much personal information about yourself?

Before anyone says, I'm not telling you not to post and I'm not telling you what to post, I'm just pointing out that I know far more about you than a complete stranger should know and this information is out there for eternity. Accountability on the internet is as important for those putting the information out as those who respond to it. You'd do well to remember this.

A fair and reasonable post. I post stuff in an attempt to empathise with people. Re the depression episodes, re relationship hassles, re general difficulties mainly. I have been subject to trolling but there are numerous others as well. I have reported abuse recently but the said person is still posting so what's the point ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A fair and reasonable post. I post stuff in an attempt to empathise with people. Re the depression episodes, re relationship hassles, re general difficulties mainly. I have been subject to trolling but there are numerous others as well. I have reported abuse recently but the said person is still posting so what's the point ?

Who is?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
A lot of the trolling on here tends to be more attention seeking than bullying but from time to time the pack instinct cuts in and someone gets laid into.

Some of the stuff people put on these RIP sites are shocking though.

As I thought, you've missed the gist of my post entirely.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There is some truly horrible stuff that people put out there on the internet only because they are anonymous, or believe themselves to be. Fortunately, I think we've only ever seen a few nasty episodes on NSC - quite remarkable given the volume of posts and the level of feeling that football generates.

Every day I see a number of reported posts as well as direct emails about supposedly abusive posting on NSC - over the years it must run to tens and tens of thousands so I'm probably well placed to pass some commentary on the broad subject of internet abuse. Very possibly my biggest observation is how socially inadequate a large number of people are. They are unable to engage in debate as they take any sort of disagreement, nomatter how constructively presented, as a personal affront, and their skin is so thin that they see a direct insult where none exists.

These people really should not be using NSC, nor indeed large parts of the internet where people directly converse. I do also find myself wondering how they cope in everyday life away from their computer - are they in a near-constant state of Ggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrr at the 'abuse' they have to deal with?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
There is some truly horrible stuff that people put out there on the internet only because they are anonymous, or believe themselves to be. Fortunately, I think we've only ever seen a few nasty episodes on NSC - quite remarkable given the volume of posts and the level of feeling that football generates.

Every day I see a number of reported posts as well as direct emails about supposedly abusive posting on NSC - over the years it must run to tens and tens of thousands so I'm probably well placed to pass some commentary on the broad subject of internet abuse. Very possibly my biggest observation is how socially inadequate a large number of people are. They are unable to engage in debate as they take any sort of disagreement, nomatter how constructively presented, as a personal affront, and their skin is so thin that they see a direct insult where none exists.

These people really should not be using NSC, nor indeed large parts of the internet where people directly converse. I do also find myself wondering how they cope in everyday life away from their computer - are they in a near-constant state of Ggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrr at the 'abuse' they have to deal with?

Thats clearly directed at me. I cope ok thanks.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Never ceases to amaze me that trolls seem to think that it's "just a little bit of fun" As if it was a noble profession. It's nasty bulling. End of.......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here