Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amex Is A Giant Cash Generating MONSTER. Fact.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
think the spending will slow down? i have been going mad over the last few weeks on beer and food because its all new.
will have to start taking it easy soon :albion2::albion2::albion2:

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
had a great day, done the pie and pint deal and for my girl the kids meal deal with (no toy) but full size pie. not bad value, cannot wait until tuesday :)

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
I too stayed after the game in the north-west corner, atmosphere was great and was brilliant being able to meet up with mates who don't sit by me to discuss the match etc. Shame they ran out of Harveys as would probably have stayed for longer but can't wait for my next visit now :amex:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Does anyone know how much of the catering revenue the club actually get? and where did the 100k figure for last week come from?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
So it sounds like the refreshments are being served quicker in the west and north? That's good, and hopefully will filter round to the east where the service was painfully slow. I can't believe they took much money at half time in that stand

The psychology of loading up your smart card in advance is quite clever, as it doesn't feel like you're spending real hard cash on the day. It's like it's free beer.
... counterbalanced by the sensation I'm currently feeling, after loading up another £30 on to my smart card. I feel like I've just spent thirty quid on beer and I'm stone cold sober.

:)

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Er yeah... Actually it was something like this:

- 2 pints in Lewes late morning
- 1 pint in Dicks Bar
- 2/3 pints in WSU before game
- 1 pint at half time
- 2/3 pints in WSU after game
- 2 pints in North concourse after WSU closed

Then into Brighton on the train and a couple more in various pubs... Followed by hours of walking around Brighton and taking photos of people waving our flags... A very enjoyable day! :thumbsup:

Good intake there. Followed by kebab at 3 am?

Was sat in Dick's Bar today for a couple of hours before the game at a table overlooking the club shop. For most of that time, the queue was snaking through the club shop and out the doors. The bars run out of drink within half an hour of them opening and the food kiosks can't cope with taking the money quick enough.

Make no mistake, we've created a cash generating MONSTER. KER-CHING!

Okay - let me tell you; I work in Sweden now, at a Stockholm 'Premier Division' club. The crowds are around 6,000. The food stalls are barrows.
Kids don't go, families won't take them and won't attend themselves. Full-page articles about crowd trouble is the norm, weekly occurrence.
The fans consist of cocksure youth that consider themselves 'ultras' and walk around like they are the club owners. Well, then they are if the society is shy to come down on them, and clubs remain 'grateful' for their form of support.

So - no kids means no future for the game.
No kids or families or 'nice' regular sport-interested people means lost revenue. Poor facilities mean lowered revenue, poor football quality exacerbated by lack of money coming in, which leads to .... less money coming in. No money, costs of regular police and damages, leaves less to buy decent players or pay for better ones with wages.
Hence they look at the news to see what 'Zlatan' is doing in Italy. :nono:
Hence youngsters aren't even coming through as top pros in football either, and the quality on the World status has dropped and will continue to do so.

When I approach the authorities (politicians in charge of sport, officials in charge of security) who CAN change this, they tell me they must know best because they've been in the game longer. They ignore invitations to look at the English game to see how we are securing stadiums and reducing incidents, but now say "we are GOING to look at the English system" when I challenge them about what steps they are taking.

Sven Goran-Eriksson agreed with me when I met with him.
ALL the regular interested public wish for change and are aware that the officials do very little about the affairs, preferring to sit back in their expensive leather chairs and waffle before going for an expensive lunch and then head home before 3pm.

There's a new stadium opening in Stockholm next year - I ran it by the Sports Affairs minister and the head of Sweden's Security to visit Falmer's Stadium at such an opportune time. Deaf ears! Not a squeak of interest - but the lip service that they are going to do 'something'.
Things ARE moving there, but s-l-o-w-l-y and seemingly reluctanly! I tell them, in so many words; DO SOMETHING FFS!
I have contacted UEFA, I have sent the security authority an itemized list of things he SHOULD be doing.
He went on the normal month off for summer holiday, probably to his summer house on Gotland to relax in knowledge his job is nice and secure.

And they leech potential money, by dragging their heels.

I notice that after one of my messages to UEFA that Swedish results aren't even featured in the football news and you have to work hard to find them on sites like Soccernet - that the site has recently started featuring them at last. Not to say it was my doing, maybe a coincidence about 3 months into the season there.

Brighton can now start exacerbating income. It depends on the quality of football, and it can pull in a lot from the catchment area where we exist.
The concessions might not yet be perfect, and ideas will come and go - but we do have the interest and the possibility - and we have a club in the right hands!

When you go to a match don't think of the food and drinks as 'extras' to your experience - you would eat and drink wherever you went!
It's integral, and hopefully convenient and enjoyable with your entertainment.

Bon apetit, and cheers :cheers:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
This thread has made me smile. Love the fact everyone is happy! Plenty of booze, pies and singing - and the club cashing it in! It even lets the train queues die down so it makes sense for people to stay after the game and go to the bar/club shop. Hope the club is coining it in big time!

D

Deleted member 18477

Fantastic idea allowing fans to drink in the concourse after. We'd all rather Brighton got our money than other pubs, also the other pubs will avoid potential post match trouble. And i'm so glad they have sky sports in the concourse pre and post match to watch the other games - it helps a bit with travel as not everyone is then doing the same thing all at once!

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Okay - let me tell you; I work in Sweden now, at a Stockholm 'Premier Division' club. The crowds are around 6,000. The food stalls are barrows.
Kids don't go, families won't take them and won't attend themselves. Full-page articles about crowd trouble is the norm, weekly occurrence.
The fans consist of cocksure youth that consider themselves 'ultras' and walk around like they are the club owners. Well, then they are if the society is shy to come down on them, and clubs remain 'grateful' for their form of support.

So - no kids means no future for the game.
No kids or families or 'nice' regular sport-interested people means lost revenue. Poor facilities mean lowered revenue, poor football quality exacerbated by lack of money coming in, which leads to .... less money coming in. No money, costs of regular police and damages, leaves less to buy decent players or pay for better ones with wages.
Hence they look at the news to see what 'Zlatan' is doing in Italy. :nono:
Hence youngsters aren't even coming through as top pros in football either, and the quality on the World status has dropped and will continue to do so.

When I approach the authorities (politicians in charge of sport, officials in charge of security) who CAN change this, they tell me they must know best because they've been in the game longer. They ignore invitations to look at the English game to see how we are securing stadiums and reducing incidents, but now say "we are GOING to look at the English system" when I challenge them about what steps they are taking.

Sven Goran-Eriksson agreed with me when I met with him.
ALL the regular interested public wish for change and are aware that the officials do very little about the affairs, preferring to sit back in their expensive leather chairs and waffle before going for an expensive lunch and then head home before 3pm.

There's a new stadium opening in Stockholm next year - I ran it by the Sports Affairs minister and the head of Sweden's Security to visit Falmer's Stadium at such an opportune time. Deaf ears! Not a squeak of interest - but the lip service that they are going to do 'something'.
Things ARE moving there, but s-l-o-w-l-y and seemingly reluctanly! I tell them, in so many words; DO SOMETHING FFS!
I have contacted UEFA, I have sent the security authority an itemized list of things he SHOULD be doing.
He went on the normal month off for summer holiday, probably to his summer house on Gotland to relax in knowledge his job is nice and secure.

And they leech potential money, by dragging their heels.

I notice that after one of my messages to UEFA that Swedish results aren't even featured in the football news and you have to work hard to find them on sites like Soccernet - that the site has recently started featuring them at last. Not to say it was my doing, maybe a coincidence about 3 months into the season there.

Brighton can now start exacerbating income. It depends on the quality of football, and it can pull in a lot from the catchment area where we exist.
The concessions might not yet be perfect, and ideas will come and go - but we do have the interest and the possibility - and we have a club in the right hands!

When you go to a match don't think of the food and drinks as 'extras' to your experience - you would eat and drink wherever you went!
It's integral, and hopefully convenient and enjoyable with your entertainment.

Bon apetit, and cheers :cheers:

You should flag up that the Swedish problem you mention is limited pretty much to only the Stockholm teams and their scumbag minorities. Have seen the carnage at Goteborg railway station after AIK had been to play IFK!

Virtually no trouble in other cities/towns throughout Sweden (unless playing Stockholm teams)-have been to Halmstad several times and IFK and no problems experienced and very family friendly.

Good luck with your attempts to change things, but think Swedish police/Government need to wise up with many more banning orders/prosecutions as only solution.

You should flag up that the Swedish problem you mention is limited pretty much to only the Stockholm teams and their scumbag minorities. Have seen the carnage at Goteborg railway station after AIK had been to play IFK!

Virtually no trouble in other cities/towns throughout Sweden (unless playing Stockholm teams)-have been to Halmstad several times and IFK and no problems experienced and very family friendly.

Good luck with your attempts to change things, but think Swedish police/Government need to wise up with many more banning orders/prosecutions as only solution.

I can pretty much agree with your stance there, except there are 3 main Stockholm sides and a couple of local peripherals, such as Syrianska ....where yes, most problems are caused by other Stockholm sides.

There are exceptions though, and incidents of other nature elsewhere. A few weeks ago it was a girl burned by a burning flag, started by a smoke-bomb flare thing down at Helsingborg, and sometimes it doesn't even need a rival club involvement at all, like Djurgardens IF 3 weeks ago where it was between a few ultras and a police security crew who ended up using pepper spray and tear gas.

The reason politicians are in the mix, is because laws are too light and the miscreants are just let go after a few hours. No CCTV evidence, no club enforcements/bans, and poor responsibility put on clubs or fans to sort it out. The police would really love for things to get changed, they are sick of it all. The most cooperation I had from any department was from the police chief of football security. We chatted a couple of times, at length - and he helped to name the right names and encouraged in where to look to try and get somewhere.
As much as the politician is mentioned as the buck-holder - I look to the chief of Swedish Security for taking responsibility. It's his job title, and he was the one getting upset when UEFA came back to him asking what is going on. UEFA really ought to already KNOW this but there's the suspicion that every governing body needs to answer to a higher power - even, or especially them. Some people are on nice meal-tickets and have got comfortable about it. We (England) have been singled out as a hooligan nation in the past - but nobody is turning the screw in other countries. Hence violence and mayhem still goes on unabated elsewhere.
We now have set a good example for other nations to follow.... but who is going to make them give a damn?

As this is about loss of revenue, you'd think someone would have cared to approach it before now.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Listen.

Here are some truths :

the marvelous facilities at the stadium could presage the end of visits to the Lord Nelson on the way.

I saw stewards smiling,and they were all very helpful and in good spirits.

I spent too much on drink,including wine when the Harveys dried up.

I was at the stadium until after seven thirty when I remembered I had to buy the takeaway Chinese meal,and headed home.

I cannot continue to collect football programmes if the trend to Argos catalogue style continues.Well,not unless I can have an extension built.

I've decided to go back for the Blackpool game.

Don't think I'm sober yet.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Everyone is spot on. The club must have lost millions in our wilderness years.

However, the queueing issue could be easily sorted. make the male toilets a one way system. so the entrance is from the East side of the North Stand. Also "ribbon walks" like those used in banks etc could be used at the food/drink outlets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here