Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amex...but for how long

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Does anybody know how long we have to put up with the name "The Amex"? I know that no details were released at the time of the original announcement but has anything been mentioned since? I think Arsenal have been saddled with The Emirates for about 20 years.

Plenty of time to figure out what we call it afterwards then.

I don't feel the need to 'put up with it', I think it's a fantastic gesture from one of the Worlds premium brands, and now they are associated with the Albion, how great is that? I doubt Arsenal or their fans feel 'saddled' with Emirates, I assume STH there have some options on flights with them too.

I shall be calling ours Falmer, or 'the football', possibly occasionally the Amex, but I hope that AE keep naming the ground for many years to come. Either way, it will always be sponsored by some company or business, I hope the club can keep on getting top names, not poop ones like Donny have, or Cheaterfield.

aviaviavioioioi

Sep 29, 2009
Seaford/Brighton
The six biggest private sector employers in Brighton and Hove (in order, I think):

1. American Express
2. Legal & General
3. EDF Energy
4. Brighton & Hove buses
5. Lloyds TSB
6. Asda

Can't see there being any value in the bus company sponsoring a stadium, and supermarkets tend to steer clear of football (Waitrose's shirt sponsorship of Reading the exception that proves the rule), so given the money involved, chances are if it wasn't called The Amex (or if and when they don't renew), it'd be either The Legal & General, The Lloyds TSB, or The EDF. I think you're "saddled with" by far the best of the most feasible options, to be honest.

God, can you imagine if the stadium was sponsored by Asda?!! "That's Asda price..ching ching!". *smacks bum*

Maybe Amex aint so bad after all.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
The AM-EX stadium
that will do nicely:facepalm:

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
its a credit to Amex surporting its local team.I wonder if Ill get cheap tickets as I am one of Amex many pensioners????????????? :laugh::laugh: how are you guys in amex inthe States who are Albion Fans what do the yanks think.:blush:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
They were in Brighton when I left school in 1974! I worked in offices above Fine Fare (as it was called then) in London Road.

They also had small offices in Edward Street at the time.

Yes but the Amex building didn't open until after I left. The two offices in Brighton were not part of the credit card business which was the original use for it.

Sep 1, 2010
YOU, can call it whatever you like, but during a massive recession and watching football clubs go into administration every 5 minutes i am HUGELY proud of the sponsorship with such a big company, stop f***ing moaning. it is not even a point to moan about to be honest.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
:facepalm:

Why don't you put a few million quid in the kitty then you can actually get the choice of what you would like it called.

"put up with" "saddled" FFS have a reality check.
If you do a search on these forums you will find more than a few discussion on this very topic.

100% agree... the naivety of the original post is staggering...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here