Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amex...but for how long

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Oh how times have changed. is moaning about the stadium name, stadium roof colour and a refusal to lump the ball forward the best we can come up with these days?

Oh and that our young striker hasn't hit the heights of a 20 million pound striker after 8 games

Love it :lolol:

or we could moan about the moaners for a change (even though this thread isnt even moaning)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
American Express no doubt have an option to renew the naming rights after 10 years.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Crikey! Go off to do some chores and come back to find myself the centre of a proper NSC lynching. Let me try and get my ducks in a row here.

Firstly, I am a luddite. Fair comment. However, I accept that naming rights are part and parcel of the modern game and that is an effective way of getting investment into the club. I also accept that Amex have links to the city and have global recognition. As far as it goes, the brand seems to be a good choice. I was simply asking if the name was something that we were going to have in perpetuity. That is all.

As regards the point of identity, of course we will still have one of our own. The club is well known enough to all of us and conjures up many images, memories and associations in our own minds. I know that we have had shirt sponsors for years and that's fine. The shirt sponsor doesn't get name checked each week when the reporters go over to the ground. The stadium sponsor does. Therefore the stadium sponsor does become part of our identity to supporters of other clubs.

Finally, I think there's a degree of double standards going on here. I remember threads here laughing at Leicester when Walker's were getting involved there. Aside from the fact that the "Walker's Bowl" was kind of funny is there any reason why their local company was funny and our global capitalist venture is acceptable? There have been pages of invective on NSC railing against bankers and financiers but this all seems to be conveniently forgotten when that ill gotten cash comes sloshing our way.

So there. Light the blue touch paper and retire...

:albion1:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
our global capitalist venture is acceptable? There have been pages of invective on NSC railing against bankers and financiers but this all seems to be conveniently forgotten when that ill gotten cash comes sloshing our way.

I get your point comrade, clearly it's your politics that are your complaint against the name 'Amex', would you be happier if it was the Red Bull Stadium ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
At the moment I use my Amex BA card to get free flights ( except for the eye watering taxes) I wonder if Amex will introduce a similar deal which will allow me to get my season ticket for free if I spend loads on my Amex card.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
At the moment I use my Amex BA card to get free flights ( except for the eye watering taxes) I wonder if Amex will introduce a similar deal which will allow me to get my season ticket for free if I spend loads on my Amex card.

Shame on you you capitalist swine :laugh::laugh:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The shirt sponsor doesn't get name checked each week when the reporters go over to the ground. The stadium sponsor does. Therefore the stadium sponsor does become part of our identity to supporters of other clubs.

I seem to recall Phalarse fans enjoying our association with NOBO and for them it became part of our identity:p

Amex sounds punchy enough but it is just a credit card and nothing to do with us. Will need to be changed as soon as...

so, just HOW MANY people do / have worked for American Express during the time their European HQ has been based in Brighton
since 196????

Better than calling it after some crappy home builder as happened at Colchester:amex:

Last edited:

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
In this day and age the clubs need to get as much sponsorship as possible. American Express is a global brand. We should be proud that American Express have put their name behind the stadium for the 5 or so years.

Bloody hell, what else do we want? Supporters of other clubs would give you their right arm for what we are getting.

Right on the money :thumbsup:

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
The six biggest private sector employers in Brighton and Hove (in order, I think):

1. American Express
2. Legal & General
3. EDF Energy
4. Brighton & Hove buses
5. Lloyds TSB
6. Asda

Can't see there being any value in the bus company sponsoring a stadium, and supermarkets tend to steer clear of football (Waitrose's shirt sponsorship of Reading the exception that proves the rule), so given the money involved, chances are if it wasn't called The Amex (or if and when they don't renew), it'd be either The Legal & General, The Lloyds TSB, or The EDF. I think you're "saddled with" by far the best of the most feasible options, to be honest.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
so, just HOW MANY people do / have worked for American Express during the time their European HQ has been based in Brighton
since 196????

Better than calling it after some crappy home builder as happened at Colchester:amex:

They didn't move to Brighton until 1978, I worked at Haywards Heath from 1973 until 1977.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I don't care about the corporate side, I think The Amex sounds cool and I like it.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Does anybody know how long we have to put up with the name "The Amex"? I know that no details were released at the time of the original announcement but has anything been mentioned since? I think Arsenal have been saddled with The Emirates for about 20 years.

Plenty of time to figure out what we call it afterwards then.

Bloody hell. As far as I care they can call it that forever, they helped pay for the thing. what the hell is the matter with people on here?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The six biggest private sector employers in Brighton and Hove (in order, I think):

1. American Express
2. Legal & General
3. EDF Energy
4. Brighton & Hove buses
5. Lloyds TSB
6. Asda

Can't see there being any value in the bus company sponsoring a stadium, and supermarkets tend to steer clear of football (Waitrose's shirt sponsorship of Reading the exception that proves the rule), so given the money involved, chances are if it wasn't called The Amex (or if and when they don't renew), it'd be either The Legal & General, The Lloyds TSB, or The EDF. I think you're "saddled with" by far the best of the most feasible options, to be honest.

Mmmmm. Come to think of it, 'The Waitrose' does have a certain ring to it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Agree. I cannot think of one new stadium which initially carried a sponsors name being called anything other than the sponsors name.

It only works when it ONLY carries the sponsor's name. For example, The Reebok, The Emirates, The AMEX, will be called those names.

When you give people an 'out' they'll use it. Take for example, Middlesborough's 'Cellnet Riverside Stadium', or the 'Freinds Provident St.Mary's Stadium'. If I were a potential sponsor, I'd have none of it unless it was the sole name.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Bloody hell. As far as I care they can call it that forever, they helped pay for the thing. what the hell is the matter with people on here?

There's a few people who are living in the past although some might say they have their heads up their arses.:amex:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It only works when it ONLY carries the sponsor's name. For example, The Reebok, The Emirates, The AMEX, will be called those names.

When you give people an 'out' they'll use it. Take for example, Middlesborough's 'Cellnet Riverside Stadium', or the 'Freinds Provident St.Mary's Stadium'. If I were a potential sponsor, I'd have none of it unless it was the sole name.

Fair point, I remember the Cellnet Riverside but yes it is referred to as The Riverside. I didnt know Friends Provident sponsored St Mary's though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here