Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amex...but for how long

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
By which time everyone will be calling it the AMEX, and therefore to re-sell the sponsorship at that stage won't attract a very high premium I wouldn't have thought. Won't the Emirates always be the Emirates?

when we have half of the home grown endland team playing for us, reigning prem champions and we've just done the treble for thr 4th consecutive year we will be fighting sponsors off with a great big shitty stick :laugh::laugh:

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Fairly childish riposte. I'm sure NSC is full of posters sat on £20 million for naming rights. Good call.

I know there's been plenty of threads on here. I just wanted to know how long the deal is for. Is it so wrong to look forward to a time when we don't have corporate branding attached to our name every time we're on the radio or the box?

And I'll just call it Falmer like everybody else...

Luddite.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Their interest lies in the regular mentions the stadium will be getting every time there is a match there.

Is that where their interest lies?

I don't know anything about marketing so I'd be interested to know what Amex are actually hoping to get from this partnership, I don't think advertising could be their main priority because as one of the world's most recognisable brands they don't need it.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
If you have a better way of bringing some cash into the club I'm sure the Board of Directors will be very open to your ideas.

In the meantime, enjoy the fact that a Global Corporation (possibly the largest employer of local people in the Brighton area) has, for the first time in its history attached its name to a football club.

As I've said before on one of the many threads putting down the Amex name, American Express probably don't give a damn what the likes of you call the stadium. Their interest lies in the regular mentions the stadium will be getting every time there is a match there.

I'm looking forward to going to The Amex.

Same here.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
By which time everyone will be calling it the AMEX, and therefore to re-sell the sponsorship at that stage won't attract a very high premium I wouldn't have thought. Won't the Emirates always be the Emirates?
It's a good point. How many people still call Huddersfield's ground 'The McAlpine' rather than the .... er, ..... whatever it's called now (Begins with 'G' I think). If the names change too often they just become a blur (a bit like shirt sponsors) and are useful only as obscure pub quiz questions. Fans tend not to use stadium names anyway in day-to-day conversations, even well known ones like The Valley. People have been saying "You going to Charlton on Saturday?" rather than mentioning the ground.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whatever we call it, the media - Sky, BBC TV and radio, talkSPORT, and the papers - will make a decision for themselves, and that is what it will become quickly known as in wider circles.

I reckon they will call it the American Express Stadium, or possibly The Amex. I don't think they'll call it Falmer.

Agree. I cannot think of one new stadium which initially carried a sponsors name being called anything other than the sponsors name.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Is that where their interest lies?

I don't know anything about marketing so I'd be interested to know what Amex are actually hoping to get from this partnership, I don't think advertising could be their main priority because as one of the world's most recognisable brands they don't need it.

Its advertising plain and simple. Wait until Brighton get on TV in the new stadium and look at the exposure American Express from their advertising boarding.

You can't pay for that sort of exposure. It's like a 90 min advert. What about the mentions of the Amex and the pictures in the newspapers, magazines this list goes on...

They will probably also offer supporters a Brighton & Hove Albion Credit Card or some other financial product.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
f***ing LOVE IT.

Amex one of the BIGGEST brands in the entire WORLD and we are associated with it.

Im am proud as punch.

Sorry its not the Harveys stadium. That would really show ambition. :jester:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
:facepalm:

Why don't you put a few million quid in the kitty then you can actually get the choice of what you would like it called.

"put up with" "saddled" FFS have a reality check.
If you do a search on these forums you will find more than a few discussion on this very topic.

Absolutely right, like a lot of people I would rather have it called just about anything (well maybe not Selhurst Park II) but Falmer thanks to their NIMBYs.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I know it means Arsenals stadium before I think of the airline.
Same here. If it were a word assocation exercise and the word was 'Emirates' I'd reply 'Arsenal', not 'Airplanes' or 'Arabs' or anything else.

Probably wouldn't say 'Brighton' in response to 'Amex' to be fair ...... well, not yet anyway.

FlownWest

Aug 10, 2010
the amex is an awesome name!

they were going to call it

The Brighton And Hove Community Stadium....

no thank you...

A lot of new stadiums seem to be going down this route (if not simply named after a sponsor). What happened to more imaginative or localised stadium names?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Oh how times have changed. is moaning about the stadium name, stadium roof colour and a refusal to lump the ball forward the best we can come up with these days?

Oh and that our young striker hasn't hit the heights of a 20 million pound striker after 8 games

Love it :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here