Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amex...but for how long

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Does anybody know how long we have to put up with the name "The Amex"? I know that no details were released at the time of the original announcement but has anything been mentioned since? I think Arsenal have been saddled with The Emirates for about 20 years.

Plenty of time to figure out what we call it afterwards then.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Amex sounds punchy enough but it is just a credit card and nothing to do with us. Will need to be changed as soon as...

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Does anybody know how long we have to put up with the name "The Amex"? I think Arsenal have been saddled with The Emirates for about 20 years.

:facepalm:

Why don't you put a few million quid in the kitty then you can actually get the choice of what you would like it called.

"put up with" "saddled" FFS have a reality check.
If you do a search on these forums you will find more than a few discussion on this very topic.

tottenhamseagull

Jul 7, 2008
Does anybody know how long we have to put up with the name "The Amex"? I know that no details were released at the time of the original announcement but has anything been mentioned since? I think Arsenal have been saddled with The Emirates for about 20 years.

Plenty of time to figure out what we call it afterwards then.

You do realise, you dont HAVE to call it that? You do have a choice.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
nothing to do with us.

Only to the point they have paid "us" (that’s a royal us) a lot of money for the naming rights.

Perhaps the club should have turned down this significant investment in the clubs future just to satisfy you prejudice again them

Why are you so against naming rights when it bring in so much revenue ?
to the point this cash can make a vital diffrence to the club ?

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
the amex is an awesome name!

they were going to call it

The Brighton And Hove Community Stadium....

no thank you...

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
:facepalm:

Why don't you put a few million quid in the kitty then you can actually get the choice of what you would like it called.

"put up with" "saddled" FFS have a reality check.
If you do a search on these forums you will find more than a few discussion on this very topic.

Fairly childish riposte. I'm sure NSC is full of posters sat on £20 million for naming rights. Good call.

I know there's been plenty of threads on here. I just wanted to know how long the deal is for. Is it so wrong to look forward to a time when we don't have corporate branding attached to our name every time we're on the radio or the box?

And I'll just call it Falmer like everybody else...

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Most people will call it Amex, and we'll always have some form of corporate sponsorship, American Express or not, so you might be waiting a long time

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Only to the point they have paid "us" (that’s a royal us) a lot of money for the naming rights.

Perhaps the club should have turned down this significant investment in the clubs future just to satisfy you prejudice again them

Why are you so against naming rights when it bring in so much revenue ?
to the point this cash can make a vital diffrence to the club ?

All fair points. We always knew there would be naming rights and you're certainly right that the cash will come in handy. As far as it goes it's also nice to have a brand that is snappy and has good links to the city. I just look forward to some time in the distant future when we can assume our own identity again.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Is it so wrong to look forward to a time when we don't have corporate branding attached to our name every time we're on the radio or the box?

Er, do you not realise that when the deal expires it will be most likely be replaced with an alternative? The club aren't gonna just go back to calling it "The Community Stadium" if there's a big money offer on the table!

And gawd knows what we could be lumped with! Amex is fine - whats your problem? :shrug:

All fair points. We always knew there would be naming rights and you're certainly right that the cash will come in handy. As far as it goes it's also nice to have a brand that is snappy and has good links to the city. I just look forward to some time in the distant future when we can assume our own identity again.

amex are putting money into albion in the community and not directly into the club,it will the ac stadium for me,after getting made redundant along with about 400 others i fully understand amex and their commitment to the community:tosser:

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
In this day and age the clubs need to get as much sponsorship as possible. American Express is a global brand. We should be proud that American Express have put their name behind the stadium for the 5 or so years.

Bloody hell, what else do we want? Supporters of other clubs would give you their right arm for what we are getting.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Fairly childish riposte. I'm sure NSC is full of posters sat on £20 million for naming rights. Good call.

I know there's been plenty of threads on here. I just wanted to know how long the deal is for. Is it so wrong to look forward to a time when we don't have corporate branding attached to our name every time we're on the radio or the box?

And I'll just call it Falmer like everybody else...

If you have a better way of bringing some cash into the club I'm sure the Board of Directors will be very open to your ideas.

In the meantime, enjoy the fact that a Global Corporation (possibly the largest employer of local people in the Brighton area) has, for the first time in its history attached its name to a football club.

As I've said before on one of the many threads putting down the Amex name, American Express probably don't give a damn what the likes of you call the stadium. Their interest lies in the regular mentions the stadium will be getting every time there is a match there.

I'm looking forward to going to The Amex.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Amex sounds punchy enough but it is just a credit card and nothing to do with us. Will need to be changed as soon as...

The fact that American Express have been a massive employer in the Brighton area for decades has plenty 'to do with us'.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Amex have sponsored the stadium name for 10 years

By which time everyone will be calling it the AMEX, and therefore to re-sell the sponsorship at that stage won't attract a very high premium I wouldn't have thought. Won't the Emirates always be the Emirates?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Whatever we call it, the media - Sky, BBC TV and radio, talkSPORT, and the papers - will make a decision for themselves, and that is what it will become quickly known as in wider circles.

I reckon they will call it the American Express Stadium, or possibly The Amex. I don't think they'll call it Falmer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here