Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion Roar - 9 Apr (Ken Brown / Martin Perry)

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Enjoyed that.

I think a lot of the transport issues will sort themselves after 3-4 games as people find what best suits them.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
If you discount capacity, it sounds like we are about to have the greatest football stadium ever created anywhere. Ever. :thumbsup:

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
On Saturrdays there are 7 trains an hour, approx capacity is 100 per carraige, 8 carraiges per train, that's the best part of 5000 in an hour towards Brighton. You then have those going back to Lewes, 3 Park & Rides worth of buses, then you have the normal buses, the organised coaches from all over the place, 1901 members who will be driving, those who will walk/cycle and of course the invitation to stay behind for a beer or some grub, somehow I think that after we get used to it, it is going to be fine, certainly no worse than many grounds we've been to, in fact I expect it to be far better than some I've been to in the past few years.

There are only 4 carriages on the brighton lewes line, not 8. Which means 3-400 per train.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Did they answer any of the transport questions that were raised?

Yes -

Temporary 1000 space car park to replace Falmer High school will be announced soon

Park and ride at the racecourse secured details to be announced

Extra trains/carriages confirmed. A train from ashford which doesn't usually stop at Falmer will now stop and have extra carriages.

After listening to Perry and Brown I'm much more confident they've thought of everything and it won't be a shambles :thumbsup:

A train from ashford which doesn't usually stop at Falmer will now stop and have extra carriages.
That's the two coach diesel train from Ashford that doesn't stop at Falmer at the moment because it's too full of passengers who want a journey all the way to Brighton to fit any Falmer passengers on board. Does "adding extra carriages" mean extra diesel stock or can diesel and electric stock be combined?

I listened to the programme and can't say that I heard much that reassures me that the problems are all resolved. Interesting to hear, though, that parking near the stadium will be "very expensive". Will it have to be pre-booked?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
As with anything new it will take several months to settle down and also for everyone to work out the best way to get to games.

As usual though piles of accusations being placed when no-one has actually been to game yet to make the decision.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
There certainly AREN'T 7 trains an hour going into Brighton. That is way beyond the capacity of the line (and Brighton Station, for that matter) - and (as has already been pointed out) the trains are 3 or 4 coach sets).

Sorry, I was confused. I thought that all Lewes trains stopped at Falmer, but only 4 of them do. One would assume that they will stop at Falmer on a football match day from next season, it would be pointless running a train straight past the station without stopping.

Sorry, I was confused. I thought that all Lewes trains stopped at Falmer, but only 4 of them do. One would assume that they will stop at Falmer on a football match day from next season, it would be pointless running a train straight past the station without stopping.
The basic service between Lewes and Brighton is four trains an hour that stop at Falmer, Moulsecoomb and London Road, plus one train an hour that runs non-stop between Lewes and Brighton.

The stopping trains are either three coaches or four coaches long. The non-stop train is a diesel, two coach train.

As you say, the non-stop service could easily stop at Falmer, Moulsecoomb and London Road (although this would increase the Lewes - Brighton running time from 11 minutes to 15 minutes). Trains can't turn at Falmer, without considerable expenditure (millions) on points and signalling that would itself limit the capacity of the line and bring no increase in frequency - so it won't happen.

Longer trains are not the simple fix that many people imagine. There are limitations to the capacity of both Brighton and Lewes stations to cope with more trains. Eight coach trains can terminate at Brighton, but not at Lewes - at least not without over-running on to the tracks that carry the Eastbourne - Victoria services, which the train operator won't wish to see delayed because that would foul up operations on the Brighton - London main line, where the frequency of services is pretty much at total capacity (and can't, therefore, tolerate late running trains without things getting into a real mess).

The other thing, of course, is that the reason there are already five trains an hour between Lewes and Brighton is that there are lots of people who use the service for non-football journeys. Most of them will continue to want to travel - meaning that football supporters will have to share the trains with quite a lot of other people (again reducing the capacity of the railway to serve stadium users).

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Because there won't be enough parking spaces at Mill Road (or the other park & ride sites) if people are put off coach travel because of the prices that have been announced. And the signs are that they will be.

This is a serious problem, Al.

A set of figures from one coach company. It's not as though these are figures from anyone at the club.

And we're told there will be additional P&R sites (above and beyond the three we know about).

A set of figures from one coach company. It's not as though these are figures from anyone at the club.
No. The figures are from the one and only travel agent that has been offered a partnership deal with the club to promote coach travel from all over Sussex.

Stage Door Tickets Ltd is not actually a coach company. They are certainly not a licensed PSV operator. Their plans are presumably to hire in coaches from a range of locally based operators who will run the vehicles. If the scheme succeeds, it is likely that any other attempts to hire in coaches independently of this scheme will flounder - because there won't be other coaches available.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The owner of the Romans is going to be doing two coaches for each home game from his boozer to the ground, I wonder if there are others doing the same thing from other locations.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
As per the EAstbourne Airshow and Lewes bonfire night the 2 car 171 will terminate at Eastbourne and a 8 car 377 stock will do the Eastbourne - Brighton - Eastbourne run before the 171 resumes at Eastbourne towards Ashford.
This will be leaving Falmer at approx 1715 and running non stop to Brighton so a fair few supporters will be back in Brighton at 1720.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
As per the EAstbourne Airshow and Lewes bonfire night the 2 car 171 will terminate at Eastbourne and a 8 car 377 stock will do the Eastbourne - Brighton - Eastbourne run before the 171 resumes at Eastbourne towards Ashford.
This will be leaving Falmer at approx 1715 and running non stop to Brighton so a fair few supporters will be back in Brighton at 1720.

Cheers.
What is the capacity (including standing) of an 8 car 377 stock?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here