Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion Roar - 9 Apr (Ken Brown / Martin Perry)

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Seriously Al, can you get MP and KB to explain the traffic situation as clearly as possible to quell the hysteria there seems to be on here at the moment. I'm beginning to wonder if anyone will actually get to the AMEX at the moment.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Seriously Al, can you get MP and KB to explain the traffic situation as clearly as possible to quell the hysteria there seems to be on here at the moment. I'm beginning to wonder if anyone will actually get to the AMEX at the moment.

I will.

I'll ask if the A27, A23, A259 and the East Coast railway routes are all being ripped up in favour of monorail system serving every household in Sussex.

Individual jetpacks for the 1901ers, of course.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Another vote here in regard to whether we can DANGLE flags. Also interested to know how long it would take to fill in the corners and East stand upper should we get permission to do so. Cheers.

I will.

I'll ask if the A27, A23, A259 and the East Coast railway routes are all being ripped up in favour of monorail system serving every household in Sussex.

Individual jetpacks for the 1901ers, of course.

The proposed transport scheme/plan please Al; in detail.
And can you ask when the Guildford to Shoreham railway line is being reopened please?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
And currently four trains per hour currently, not seven.

I do apologise, I was reading the National Rail Enquiries website, where it suggests there are 7 trains an hour on a Saturday between 16.45 and 17.45.

As for number of carriages, I had been told that they are normally 8 carriages, although the platform only accepts 7 (not that that should be a problem, you just move down the carriages), however, I can't confirm this as I have not used the service. Nevertheless, I would expect that Southern would make sure these trains have additional coaches during these periods before and after a game, they are, after all, supposedly in the business of making money.

That said, it might be a complete disaster than then at least a few people on here will be happy

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I do apologise, I was reading the National Rail Enquiries website, where it suggests there are 7 trains an hour on a Saturday between 16.45 and 17.45.

As for number of carriages, I had been told that they are normally 8 carriages, although the platform only accepts 7 (not that that should be a problem, you just move down the carriages), however, I can't confirm this as I have not used the service. Nevertheless, I would expect that Southern would make sure these trains have additional coaches during these periods before and after a game, they are, after all, supposedly in the business of making money.

That said, it might be a complete disaster than then at least a few people on here will be happy
Every time I've travelled on that line (and I do it a fair bit even if it's just the short hop from Brighton to London Road) the train has had four coaches. I think Lord B has said there is a problem with eight carriages when the train gets to Lewes.

And I don't think ANYONE will be happy if it's a complete disaster.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Every time I've travelled on that line (and I do it a fair bit even if it's just the short hop from Brighton to London Road) the train has had four coaches. I think Lord B has said there is a problem with eight carriages when the train gets to Lewes.

And I don't think ANYONE will be happy if it's a complete disaster.

When they put on a limited service due to snow over the last couple of winters, they did put on an eight-carriage service but...

you could only get out of four of them at Falmer, Moulsecoomb and London Road.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The cost of the coaches being organised to the Amex from Billingshurst (my nearest pickup point but still a 7 mile drive) has been quoted today at £12.50 per person per match (OK effectively £11.50 if you buy a book of travel vouchers). Currently, there is usually two to four of us travelling to Withdean by car and using the Mill Road P&R.
The cost of the coach from Withdean to Walsall on 16th April is £25.
The cost of the coach for Charlton supporters travelling from central Brighton to the Valley is apparently £7 per match
1) On comparing the these prices, do MP and KB consider that after 3-4 years of project planning and implementation, the cost of the "Amex" coaches represent value for money to the supporters?
2) Why did the club not publish details of its proposed transport scheme/plan/arrangements for the Amex Stadium prior to season tickets being put on sale and why has it still not done so? I realise that the scheme is a condition of the planning consent, and therefore subject to B&HCC approval, but the proposals could surely have been published with this caviat at the same time of the season ticket roll-out? Had this been done then supporters would have better known the likely costs of watching the Albion at the Amex before committing themselves to purchasing a season ticket.

I would find it hard to believe that the coach from Brighton to The Valley is not heavily subsidised by Charlton Athletic. Paying for one coach.

If driving to Mill Road P&R is cheaper, why not just do that? :shrug:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
With regard to transport TLO has it right with regard to hysteria. We'll have to accept the fact that getting to and from a ground holding 22500 is going to very different to getting to and from Withdean. FFS, I remember when getting to the Goldstone was a pain in arse. Traffic queuing from the Brighton gates all the way to the traffic lights at the Patcham crossroads. On the way back, queing for the right turn at Pyecombe traffic lights to head off towards Hassocks.

On Saturrdays there are 7 trains an hour, approx capacity is 100 per carraige, 8 carraiges per train, that's the best part of 5000 in an hour towards Brighton. You then have those going back to Lewes, 3 Park & Rides worth of buses, then you have the normal buses, the organised coaches from all over the place, 1901 members who will be driving, those who will walk/cycle and of course the invitation to stay behind for a beer or some grub, somehow I think that after we get used to it, it is going to be fine, certainly no worse than many grounds we've been to, in fact I expect it to be far better than some I've been to in the past few years.
There certainly AREN'T 7 trains an hour going into Brighton. That is way beyond the capacity of the line (and Brighton Station, for that matter) - and (as has already been pointed out) the trains are 3 or 4 coach sets).

If driving to Mill Road P&R is cheaper, why not just do that? :shrug:
Because there won't be enough parking spaces at Mill Road (or the other park & ride sites) if people are put off coach travel because of the prices that have been announced. And the signs are that they will be.

This is a serious problem, Al.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The c900 tickets that will not be sold as season tickets, will they be sold to those with the most 'loyalty points'? Obviously not the the first few weeks.

When would the club see fit to apply to expand the stadium? Assuming travelling to and from the stadium is not deemed to be chaotic and the area copes, at what point do you say "Let's do it".

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Because there won't be enough parking spaces at Mill Road (or the other park & ride sites) if people are put off coach travel because of the prices that have been announced. And the signs are that they will be.

This is a serious problem, Al.

Exactly. A price of over £800 for a family of four means that it will have to be P&R for us.

Can you ask what the P&R sites and capacities will be, and the numbers of coaches/buses serving these sites, and the timings expected for getting people back to their cars after the game - particularly for an evening game when people are less likely to want to hang around?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

You keep dropping these little bits of bullshit, Super Dooper.

I seem to recall you asked people that believed there would be a delay in the stadium to stay away from games - it was then delayed by a year. Were we happy about that? Twit.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Love this. Best bits: Al going off on one of his "in all my 70 years of watching the Albion" warbles, Martin Perry trying to sound like he's down with the peasants ("you can have a pint of real ale with your mates...or whatever.")

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I am not sure the answer on DANGLING flags was that clear. It sounded like they were quite positive about it, how did other interpret it?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
As long as flags dont obscure other fans views and as long as they dont cover up advertising, they are kool with them. Was my understanding of what was said.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here