Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion NEED £2 million to survive. The board needs YOU to help

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
When the 3 year season ticket letter came round I thought "what if EVERY season ticket holder goes ahead with this. Result...The Albion are very well off (for the time being) and broke for the next 2 years. I suspected it was getting desperate then, I am convinced that todays news confirms how right I was.:nono:

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
larus said:
Sorry. I must have missed the last time the begging bowl came round. Yes, we pay early for season tickets, but we always get them. This is the first time the club has asked us for direct support I believe.

If you can't/won't give, then that's fine, but please don't post incorect/cynical FG like comments.

It's our club (in so much as we support/love it). A £5 per week for a year, it's not a big ask really if it is that important to you.

2 lots of 40 note fund (not directly from the club I know) 3 year renewals, prices held over from last year even though you're going down a division and as long as you pay before the end of March.....

And as for "If you can't/won't give" There are many that hate the fact that they can't give......it's certainly NOT fine :censored:

Trish

Jul 5, 2003
I can't begin to imagine what life would be like without the Albion - a sort of perpetual boring Summer and not knowing or caring when the fixtures are out! For this and all the sensible reasons put forward by TLO, Easy 10, Edna, etc., I'll throw my £250 into the pot.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Forget the politics of why now, why needed, will we get Falmer etc.

The Albion have given me more fun and excitment, reasons to be proud and days I'll never forget in the past four years than one could reasonably expect from any football club in decades.

If a donation of £250 is needed as a "thank you" for that - then they have my thanks.

Also, with the bunch of kids we have coming through at the moment I've almost started dreaming of watching them walk out at Falmer to play Premiership football in a few years time. If this appeal stops the current crop being broken up then it's well worth it.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
The thing that bothers me is even if the 2M+ was donated, how long would it take before the same request would be made again - 18 months? Falmer, even if approved, is at least 3 years away being built, so the club needs to reassure us that if a gargantuan effort was made and this money raised and, lets face it, its a massive if, that this will last us until the stadium appears cos if they have to ask again before its built it could cause alot of resentment. I`m all for donating the money if I can get it out of my account without my wife noticing, which will be a feat in itself, and unlike some dickheads can see entirely how we have reached this point, in fact it a surprise they have kept it going as long as they have, but the fundamental problem is like 60 - 70 other clubs in this football league, we need a Sugar Daddy if were really going to solve the immediate financial crisis, if only the likes of Paul Mccartney who lives in Sussex could stump up a few Million to see us through the next few years, it would be loose change to him. Any one know him to talk to?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
jezzer said:
The thing that bothers me is even if the 2M+ was donated, how long would it take before the same request would be made again - 18 months? Falmer, even if approved, is at least 3 years away being built, so the club needs to reassure us that if a gargantuan effort was made and this money raised and, lets face it, its a massive if, that this will last us until the stadium appears cos if they have to ask again before its built it could cause alot of resentment. I`m all for donating the money if I can get it out of my account without my wife noticing, which will be a feat in itself, and unlike some dickheads can see entirely how we have reached this point, in fact it a surprise they have kept it going as long as they have, but the fundamental problem is like 60 - 70 other clubs in this football league, we need a Sugar Daddy if were really going to solve the immediate financial crisis, if only the likes of Paul Mccartney who lives in Sussex could stump up a few Million to see us through the next few years, it would be loose change to him. Any one know him to talk to?

spoilsport

mitch

Oct 16, 2003
it's just taken me about 20 minutes to read this thread many fair points and some way of mark,just leave you with one thought.

NO BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION AND NONE OF THE GREAT EMOTIONS THAT ABOUT 2200 OF US EXPRIENCED ON SATURDAY AFTERNOON.

thats what it really is all about its a football club not a business it pulls at your heart strings and i for one will not sit back and just watch it die.
i can't afford a one off payment so will be doing a direct debit just think miss one pint a week for a year and theres your £100 pounds.

Last edited:

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
mitch said:
NO BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION AND NONE OF THE GREAT EMOTIONS THAT ABOUT 2200 OF US EXPRIENCED ON SATURDAY AFTERNOON.......just think miss one pint a week for a year and theres your £100 pounds.

You're absolutely right, Mitch - the emotions of Saturday were worth hundreds of pounds, and I can't imagine I'd get the same feeling from the equivalent in alcohol.

I'm not a big drinker, but I probably spend around £20 a week on beer and wine (shared with the good lady). If I had to, I'd give up alcohol for a year to save the Albion - doesn't really seem a big deal to me.

Reinelt 62

Jul 5, 2003
From the Sunday Times Rich List 2004

Bill Archer = £223 million

Donation of £2 million to the Albion, then

Bill Archer = £221 million

Does it really matter whether your value is £223 or £221 million?

Or to put it into perspective does it matter to you whether you have £22.30 or £22.10 in your pocket?

If the man had the merest shred of conscience and / or responsibilty he would be putting his hand in his pocket right now...

Judgement Day Mr Archer

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
They can stick that where the sun don't shine:)
Is the club a local charity or something f***ing hell what more can you say,but fairplay to who actually does buy this seat which may not even happen.???

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
the begging bowl should start outside the hospitality gate tomorrow night - £25 for all the spongers who never pay but get the best seats. Ok I know we have to give seats to visiting officials, sponsors, etc, but the same faces every week? MPs for example!!!

Don't disagree with Mitch but if the club continues to be run as it is the begging bowls will be out every few months. Either that or we get new investment in. Let's face it, the current board is NOT running the club on a solid financial base - FACT. It's based on the hope of getting Falmer. How long has DK had to find new investors? the guy from the Friday Ad didn't last long, wonder why? perhaps he's a businessman. Would it have been £3m if we hadn't have made it to Cardiff?

Last week we read about a new (extra) youth team coach on the payroll. This week we need £2million. Why increase the staff when we have no money. Whose donations will pay the new coach's wages? - nothing against him but it doesn't make sense.

One final point, if we did get Falmer, started to make a profit (a big if!) and eventually float the club, who will make the money by selling their shares? Not those who donated I can promise you!!!

Sergi Gotsmanov

Feb 23, 2004
West of Palookaville
I can understand people stating the emotional attachment to the club but it HAS to be run as a business.

Fact: we have costs we have income.
Fact: these figures have to balance.
Fact: if the costs are too high you have to reduce them or raise more income

Fact: Our club has a shit commercial dept which should be raising a large chunk of our revenue.

Fact: This whole £2m has been handled in such a poor way.

Fact: (and I don't like this one) We will not raise £2m this way.

I have always been optimistic maybe even rose tinted glasses but this scares the shit out of me.

timseagull

Oct 12, 2003
Mile Oak
Read the stroy in the on the train this morning and it did nothing to cheer me up after getting soaked in the pissing rain.

I suppose it is better to ask now....rather then when customs or the revenue come knocking.

But as others have said...asking for £250 on top of the money we all pay out.....where exactly does the club think we're gonna get it from?

I'll give what I can as I'm sure others will. But most of us are run of the mill punters with wives, babies, bills and mortgages to pay.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Trish said:
I can't begin to imagine what life would be like without the Albion - a sort of perpetual boring Summer and not knowing or caring when the fixtures are out! For this and all the sensible reasons put forward by TLO, Easy 10, Edna, etc., I'll throw my £250 into the pot.

That says it for me too.

I'll be paying £25 a month by standing order over the next 10 months.

Btw Bradford fans managed to raise £2.5 million in two months during the summer to save their club.

Last edited:

Keith B Wetherill

Oct 6, 2003
Helsinki,Finland
Fund raising

:shootself I support this latest venture and will soon be sending my Euro's to the club but I have to say I am livid to think that the club is not pressing ahead with the exta seats,Its hard to believe that a chairman and CEO of a football club hoping to embark on such a large project as a multi million £ stadium both arranging finance and building it just can't sort out extra park and ride for a mere 2000 seats,which must produce MILLIONS of income before we get to FALMER..
When Dick Knight & co took over they had a very open type management with lots of public meetings for us to put salient questions.. now all we get is people speculating here on NSC or Ian's phone in!!
Surely NOW is the time to hold such a meeting,IT was 3 years ago when seats were being promised ,so DK I'm sure you will get a much more positive response if you start telling us what is happening..
In conclusion please NSC,ers dont need to waste time telling me the reasons why we can't get extra seats or the costs etc on this project I just want to hear it from THE CLUB direct and I suspect most other season ticket holders and would be investors would also be more happy:nono: For the first time in 50 odd years I am getting WORRIED.:rolleyes:

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
As noted in another thread (Notes on Club Donations) I would want to see some sort of supporter representation at board level as a consequence of this before committing. It is very worrying that with a 40million pound stadium around the corner we don't have enough cash to get us there. What happens afterwards, where will the construction costs come from? It won't all be grants. Maybe we do have money put aside, but I'd like confirmation of that first.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
I'm so very worried. I hate to say it but the whole thing is turning into an utter shambles. Loads of grumblings and moaning at each other on here and The Albion getting seemingly more desperate by the day.
Silly question, but has anyone asked the multi-billion pound company American Express (based in Brighton) whether they want to do a 'Walkers' with Falmer? I'm sure the board are trying every trick in the book to encourage some rich investors but it just looks so desperate when they quite literally beg for money from ordinary supporters most of which simply cannot afford to view The Albion as a charity. I love The Albion, it is a huge part of my life, a massive part. I'm even looking to leave my job (of 25 years) to relocate to Sussex in order to be close to the whole scene and to be able to take my son to every game. However, my job pays enough for my family to be ok, I mean, we'll never starve, BUT I simply can't justify sending hundreds of pounds in, I wish I could but I can't. There must be loads of people in the same boat tonight, very unhappy and feeling depressed and helpless.:nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here