Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion NEED £2 million to survive. The board needs YOU to help

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
eagles #1 said:

Hey Eagles #1, thanks for popping in, you're a bit of cheer in these dark times..........Palace in the Prem and watching to see who's gonna beat you every week......it's a bit of light relief:lolol:
Even found myself wanting Pompey to win the other night.......and they did!! :drink: :clap: :lolol:

eagles #1

May 7, 2004
London
C1 BHA said:
Hey Eagles #1, thanks for popping in, you're a bit of cheer in these dark times..........Palace in the Prem and watching to see who's gonna beat you every week......it's a bit of light relief:lolol:
Even found myself wanting Pompey to win the other night.......and they did!! :drink: :clap: :lolol:
good im glad cos to be honest it looks as thinghs are goin really bad for you little tramps, god knows what will happen when we get a win guess you could always search the streets for money to help your pathetic club

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am having trouble getting my head around all of this.

1997 Archer Bellotti and Stanley sell the Goldstone to wipe out the debts. Therefore debts equal nothing!

Archer sells his shares back to members of the board . Ray Bloom had some and DK etc had the remainder I believe.

2003 Accounts show analysis of net debt as a deficit of £6.5m.

Amounts falling due within 1 year £10.101.405 as opposed to 2002 of £8.064746. This includes directors loans of £713k

It would appear to me that the directors have increased their loans from £448k in 2002 to £713k in 2003 an increase of £265k. Other loans (ie. not directors) have risen from £579k to £1.186m some considerable increase from somebody FBS perhaps!

All is well because in the Chairmans report he states ' in addition the renegotiation of the of the hire agreement regarding Withdean etc .... will result in considerable cost saving which will impact on the club prior to the end of 2003/04 season. No mention of the additional money we would receive for getting to the play offs but then at the time of the accounts they wouldn't have known what was going to happen in May 2004

I would expect this years accounts when they are published to show a much reduced debt. So why the urgent need of money if as stated by 'insider' everything is under control and the debt is being reduced.

I am glad that I am a publican and dont understand profit and loss accounts. The high finance of starting with no debt and rising to £10m in 7 years would be too much for me as indeed it probably would be for most laymen.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
C1 BHA said:
I'm so very worried. I hate to say it but the whole thing is turning into an utter shambles. Loads of grumblings and moaning at each other on here and The Albion getting seemingly more desperate by the day.
Silly question, but has anyone asked the multi-billion pound company American Express (based in Brighton) whether they want to do a 'Walkers' with Falmer? I'm sure the board are trying every trick in the book to encourage some rich investors but it just looks so desperate when they quite literally beg for money from ordinary supporters most of which simply cannot afford to view The Albion as a charity. I love The Albion, it is a huge part of my life, a massive part. I'm even looking to leave my job (of 25 years) to relocate to Sussex in order to be close to the whole scene and to be able to take my son to every game. However, my job pays enough for my family to be ok, I mean, we'll never starve, BUT I simply can't justify sending hundreds of pounds in, I wish I could but I can't. There must be loads of people in the same boat tonight, very unhappy and feeling depressed and helpless.:nono:

My sentiments too I'm afraid, I'd give every penny I have if my heart ruled my head. But as I've got older, and many younger fans will also find this if we have a future, you get more commitments for your time and money, namely a family. In '97 I could afford (as I did) for the Albion to take so much of my time campaigning and putting money into fighting Archer. The season ticket's a huge investment as it is; including travel and a programme and it costs me at least £50 a home game for starters. That's over a £1000 a season without any of the merchandise I'd love to buy. Still I'll have a whip round. I can't go tomorrow night and couldn't make the Cov game so I'll put £40 quid into the fund at least as I managed to sell both tickets.

Being ever so critical of the club, why was a friend of a friend refused a season ticket when an adjacent seat wasn't renewed this season? It's remained empty so her friend made enquiries. The club have said today that a number of seats must be kept empty for H&S reasons. Fair enough, but when the club said it's likely many will become available in October after review, she asked to be put on a waiting list and contacted then for this specific seat next to her friends. But the club have said they can't do that? Why not? Why can't you simply take her details and the day after the H&S review contact her and bank £400+? We're hardly in a position to turn potential new season ticket holders away are we? Come on Martin, have a word with the sales office. You've basically lost a new supporter because she feels like she's been snubbed and why should she pay £400+ to a club that won't help itself?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
What a gesture it would be if the player's donated a week's wages or even half? Food for thought?

I've often thought that a week's wages from the Premier's players would wipe out third world debt overnight. But then the poor little dears (not our boys, I mean the premiershits) are too busy picking their next new car....

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
And another thing.....

Have to say the club needs to launch this appeal with a proper explanation if it's to amass more than the forty notes fund, which frankly is a drop in this ocean. Are there any plans to host a fans forum somewhere to discuss this properly? It almost needs a commitee because if we all put our hands in our pockets we want something more than the club's currently providing. Including ideas like donations from businesses that have bigger bank accounts usually than a 1000 fans together.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Tom Hark said:
How on earth did they manage that Yorkie? :ohmy:

They all chipped in with various amounts. Bantam Bloke on the official msg board told us about it. At one stage they weren't ever going to play at Valley Parade again because they couldn't pay the rent.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Desert Orchid said:
It was 1995. And "to wipe out the debts" is an interesting theory about what happened.

Sorry about the year. typing error but that was what was said when the ground was sold and at the time nobody said that they hadn't written off the debts so we must assume that what those three said was correct.

Granted we then accumalated debts with going to, Gillingham etc but they would all have been covered in the accounts for that year.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If the statement about selling the ground to pay off the debts had been issued and thensubsequently it xcame out that they hadnt paid them do not feel that DK and Paul Samrah would not have made a meal out of it.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Well, I go on holiday for the weekend and it all kicks off again.

From my point of view this is no less vaild an appeal than all those bucket appeals I've chipped into for all the other clubs in crisis down the years, and I don't see why I shouldn't contribute to my own club. It might have to wait a couple of weeks as I'm about to move, but I'll certainly donate at least £100.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am under no illusions that the ground was sold off for any reason other than to make those three a fat healthy profit but in so doing I believe that they cleared our debts and the debts that are now shown are a result of what has happened since that date and not inherited from them.

Re: Fund raising

Keith B Wetherill said:
Its hard to believe that a chairman and CEO of a football club hoping to embark on such a large project as a multi million £ stadium both arranging finance and building it just can't sort out extra park and ride for a mere 2000 seats
The Club HAS identified a park & ride site.

It's the Tory Councillors on Brighton & Hove City Council who can't bring themselves to support the Traffic Regulation Order that will allow part of Carden Avenue to be closed on matchdays - not because there is any traffic reason for this, but because their NIMBY supporters are opposing expansion at Withdean.

If Dick Knight had £100 million in his back pocket, things wouldn't be any different.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Desert Orchid said:
You said the ground was sold "to wipe out the debts". I'm glad you have clarified what you meant.

Wiping out the debts by selling the only asset anywhere near big enough to cover them was of course a stroke of genius by the previous board, to whom we should all be eternally grateful.

Y

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Desert Orchid

You are completely misconstruing my remarks.

I do not believe that what those three did was a brilliant business move other than to earn them money.

What I am saying and you chose to ignore is that they SAID, whether or not they actually did it, was that they sold the ground to clear our debts, irrespective of what other motives they may have had.

Had they not done that.i.e cleared the debts a lot would have been made by both DK and aul Samrah to that effect so we must assume that they did clear the debts and if so the debt that we have now has only arisen during the time of the current board.

The weasons for this increased debt can be explained in many cases but none the less the debt was incurred during this boards time in office. Am I correct?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here