Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] The Academy Awards

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
And I bet The Power of the Dog is absolutely all over this borefest. Without a doubt, comfortably the DULLEST film I have seen in years. I was chewing my own arm off at the shoulder after half an hour of that dreck.

I love a western, so when this came out I was immediately drawn to. And thank feck for covid because I’d have walked out if saw in cinema. Instead all I needed to do was press stop after 30mins because it was THE most boring DULLSVILLE of a motion picture I’ve ever attempted to watch.

Seriously, if you’ve not seen, go commit a petty crime and get sentenced to 100 hours community service instead.It will be WAY more fun than watching this ‘academy nominated’ film.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And I bet The Power of the Dog is absolutely all over this borefest. Without a doubt, comfortably the DULLEST film I have seen in years. I was chewing my own arm off at the shoulder after half an hour of that dreck.

It's been a big favourite for a while, but CODA has been having a lot of success at some of the awards shows leading up to the Oscars so is a potential upset. Especially in the supportiing actor category. Of the best picture nominees and films with multiple nomionations, CODA was the one I enjoyed most.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Everyone set for the most important night of the year?

???

BBC text reporting live from the red carpet in an hour for those without Sky and then it all kicks off at 1am

:O

Here's hoping for an epic night for Britain.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I am. Have booked tomorrow morning off work, and watched most of the main nominees (all the best films, director, actor/actress, writing and all bar one of the songs - not bothered with Four Good Days). Hoping CODA continues it's momentum and gets some little gold men tonight at the expense of films that didn't work for me (power of the dog, west side story, Spencer, licorice pizza)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I am. Have booked tomorrow morning off work, and watched most of the main nominees (all the best films, director, actor/actress, writing and all bar one of the songs - not bothered with Four Good Days). Hoping CODA continues it's momentum and gets some little gold men tonight at the expense of films that didn't work for me (power of the dog, west side story, Spencer, licorice pizza)

Just read a few words about "Drive my car", based on one of my favorite books. Have you as a cineast seen it?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Just read a few words about "Drive my car", based on one of my favorite books. Have you as a cineast seen it?

I have. I streamed it via curzon cinema, and the app was a little silly. Just after a secret was revealled, I restarted and thought it was showing the earlier scenes from a new perspective, but eventually realised the app had jumped back 20 minutes and I was just watching the same thing over again.

I liked it. A nice relaxing watch. I've not read the book though, so no idea how it compares.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Enjoying the show so far.

Great to see Troy Kotsur win Best Supporting Actor for CODA.

Very moving speech, especially when he mentioned his father.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
They've added some viewer votes this year. Not sure how they think it will boost ratings, especially when you they are clearly so easy to manipulate. Case in point:

[tweet]1508250011292901382[/tweet]

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Wow....it's all kicked off massively! Can't believe what I've just seen.

Will Smith lost it, marched up on stage and punched Chris Rock.

The sound was cut from the feed for about 15 seconds.

According to the Guardian live feed:

"Chris Rock just came out and introduced the best documentary feature. He told some jokes. And then Will Smith came onstage and punched him in the face. And then he (the guy who’s supposed to be the best actor frontrunner) screamed “Keep my wife’s name out of your f*cking mouth”. Twice. What the hell is going on?"

:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Wow....it's all kicked off massively! Can't believe what I've just seen.

Will Smith lost it, marched up on stage and punched Chris Rock.

The sound was cut from the feed for about 15 seconds.

According to the Guardian live feed:

"Chris Rock just came out and introduced the best documentary feature. He told some jokes. And then Will Smith came onstage and punched him in the face. And then he (the guy who’s supposed to be the best actor frontrunner) screamed “Keep my wife’s name out of your f*cking mouth”. Twice. What the hell is going on?"

:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Just saw that. Couldn't work out if it was a bit. The punch seemed overly dramatic and like there was no contact - like a stage punch (though I could just be tired). But the the fllow up swears made it seem like a real thing.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The Guardian's take...

"When Chris Rock hosted the Oscars previously, he said “Jada Pinkett Smith boycotting the Oscars is like me boycotting Rihanna’s panties—I wasn’t invited!”. Could that have been it?"

It's a real shame and will detract from the event as it's the main thing people will remember from the show.

Will Smith might be getting up soon to collect the Best Actor Oscar.

It's either going to be extremely awkward, or he's shown just how convincing an actor he is by fooling everyone.

I'm guessing it's the first possibility.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Update - it's definitely real.

Will Smith took offence to a GI Jane joke about his wife.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1508270716063469576

According to Vanity Fair:

"During the commercial break, reports Rebecca Ford, Denzel Washington pulled Smith over to the side for a conversation, and was kneeling with his arm around Jada Pinkett Smith when the show came back from commercial. Meanwhile in the lobby, people huddled around their phones watching replays of the incident. “I don’t think that’s a joke,” one woman said."

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Jane Campion gets Best Director. It was looking quite bleak for The Power Of The Dog up until then.

It's been a big night for Dune with 6 Oscars so far.

But I don't think that's what people will be talking about in the after parties...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Update - it's definitely real.

Will Smith took offence to a GI Jane joke about his wife.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1508270716063469576

According to Vanity Fair:

"During the commercial break, reports Rebecca Ford, Denzel Washington pulled Smith over to the side for a conversation, and was kneeling with his arm around Jada Pinkett Smith when the show came back from commercial. Meanwhile in the lobby, people huddled around their phones watching replays of the incident. “I don’t think that’s a joke,” one woman said."

Yeah, just saw that tweet, too. Nothing cut out on that bit for me, so was confused by references to the screen cutting out. Apparently Jada has been quite public with issues over her issues with hair loss. And now he's just won the award.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Well, that acceptance speech by Will Smith was very awkward. Plenty of very pointed talk about defending family,

Credit to the producers for not playing the music and cutting him off. It was one of those painfully memorable TV moments.

And he did at least apologize to the Academy and those attending, if not to Chris Rock.

But for me it was rather like knocking in a consolation goal with a minute left when you're 5-0 down.

Sorry, Will. You've won the Oscar, but you've lost far more than that.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
CODA wins Best Picture!

3 nominations, 3 awards.

A wonderful film and fully deserved IMHO.

It may not be the biggest story of the night, but it's certainly the most worthy.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
CODA wins Best Picture!

3 nominations, 3 awards.

A wonderful film and fully deserved IMHO.

It may not be the biggest story of the night, but it's certainly the most worthy.

Indeed. Certainly my favourite of the nominees. Now I'm off to bed.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Well, it was certainly of the more memorable Oscars if not entirely for all the right reasons.

Dune and CODA were the big winners on the night.

And there was some success for the Brits as well.

But as for Will Smith's actions and his acceptance speech, regrettably it came across as less King Richard and more King Dick.

"In this time in my life, in this moment, I am overwhelmed by what God is calling me to do and be in this world."

"I'm being called on in my life to love people and to protect people and to be a river to my people."

Even factoring in his wife's hair loss and his stated protection of his family, it's a bit of a stretch at best. :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here