Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The 2024 US Election - Trump v Harris

Who will win the 2024 Presidential Election?

• President Joe Biden - Democrat

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Donald Trump - Republican

Votes: 114 37.5%
  • Vice President, Kamala Harris - Democrat

Votes: 170 55.9%
  • Other Democratic candidate tbc

Votes: 19 6.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
Totally get your point but it is a bit silly isn't it - if he was straight I'm certain he'd be the VP.
To be honest, I don't think he will be. He is going to be president one day, I think he'd be better off having another cabinet position before his run. I'm not sure being VP for (potentially) 8 years and then running for president in 2032 for another potential 8 years is going to be attractive to him. He could potentially have spent 4 years as Transportation Secretary and then 8 years as VP and 8 years as president - 20 years in Government. It would be an historically long stint in various capacities.

I think Mark Kelly of Arizona would add a lot to the ticket and would help carry a state which is crucial for the Democrats to win. And he's a literal Astronaut, who smuggled a Gorilla costume into space to freak out his fellow Astronauts. That's leadership!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
There was no enthusiasm for Hillary's campaign or candidacy and Trump was an unknown entity on the political stage. Now he's very well known and hated by anyone with a brain or who paid attention to the absolute disaster that was his administration and even bigger pending disaster if that fat mess gets in again. The Kamala campaign has organic and genuine energy and excitement about it - she's a phenomenon and might have timed her run perfectly.

The risk at this stage is that things are going almost TOO well, there will be a September/October surprise at some point. And they need to get the VP selection right - but considering who is on the list, I don't think there are any choices as bad/damaging as JD Vance!
Very wise caution. It's nice to enjoy the return of optimism at the moment, and in a positive way, not just a let's beat Trump way. It is however far from being a done deal, the campaign has only just begun.

However events have a very good way of tripping up politicians and campaigns of any colour so complacency must be avoided. The Harris campaign needs to be unrelenting, we know her opponent will be.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think Mark Kelly of Arizona would add a lot to the ticket and would help carry a state which is crucial for the Democrats to win. And he's a literal Astronaut, who smuggled a Gorilla costume into space to freak out his fellow Astronauts. That's leadership!
I did think Mark Kelly might be one to convince some who are floating/wavering down the middle. Actual astronaut, actual former Navy Captain. Impressive resume.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Whatever you think of Harris, it astonishes me that anyone could actually believe it is Harris, not Trump who would be a disaster for the world if she regained the WH.

• Have you read Project 25?
  • Do you understand Trump’s position on Europe, Ukraine and Russia and the implications that has for the geo-political security of the UK and Europe?
  • Do you not understand how having a Climate Change denier back in the WH would have existential implications for the whole world?
  • Do you really not understand that Trump tearing up the Iran agreement, moving the American assembly from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem and supporting Bibi’s annexation plans for the West Bank triggered the ME into a new downward spiral of radicalism, unrest and conflict?
  • Do you not understand how Trump’s proposed isolationist policies and trade war with China could spark a global recession?
  • Are you so blindfolded by your Democratic prejudice, that you can’t see how inciting civil disobedience and unrest in America sends ripples of uncertainty through global financial markets, creates instability in other liberal democracies and serves as a welcome diversion for nefarious intrusion from Russia and China into Western democratic infrastructure?
Anyone suggesting that of the two candidates, it is Harris that would be a disaster for the USA and the World, needs to wake up and smell the coffee. Or just fcuking wake UP!
Well put.

I can understand if someone thinks Harris may be a disaster for the USA. But a disaster for the World ? Nah - that accolade is reserved at this time for the senile old man still standing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Listening to a podcast earlier and some facts that do seem a little concerning;
  • Donald Trump's biggest donor ($75m recently) is Tim Mellon, a man with some interesting views on black people and women (shock horror). More importantly though, he famously dragged an aviation company through the courts to near bankruptcy based on some absolute nonsense - you can read about it here; Mellon vs Int'l Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (actually quite an interesting case relating to Amelia Earhart);, so is someone well versed in strangling things through the courts.
  • Donald Trump has recently started saying the quiet part out loud; "We don't need votes." "We have more than enough votes." "We don't need your votes." "Don't worry about voting."
  • There is now election denialists (wow, how's that now a thing) in place in many key states that may well just refuse to certify on election night. Why else would Trump say what he's saying now?
In a tight race, saying things like "We don't need your votes" and "you won't have to vote ever again" should be seen as HUGE red flags.

By May 2024, election deniers in support of Trump had moved closer to the GOP mainstream. A report released on May 21, 2024 by States United Action found that "170 representatives and senators out of 535 lawmakers overall can be categorized as election deniers" and that two senate candidates and 17 house candidates were on the ballot to join them. By 2024, the prevalence of election deniers was noted to have increased among top Republican officials in the RNC.[54] In May, The Associated Press reported that under Lara Trump, the RNC has "sought alliances with election deniers, conspiracy theorists and alt-right advocates the party had previously kept at arm's length." It also reported that Lara Trump supported a nationwide policy of not counting any ballots after Election Day, which was noted to be illegal.[55] Trump and several Republicans have stated they will not accept the results of the 2024 election if they believe they are "unfair."[32]

Without wishing to fearmonger, it does seem eminently possible/probable that Jan 6th was a dry run for whatever will happen in November/beyond.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
But it’s not a Biden/Harris ticket is it. It’s a Harris and who the f*ck knows ticket. I care because a Harris is an ignoramus who dropped out of the race in 2020 before the primaries because she was so unpopular. God forbid she might even win, a disaster for the USA and the world.
Whereas Trump is a calm, courteous, honest, intelligent, mature, rational, and thoughtful political leader?

Think you might want to up the dose of your meds, then have a nice long lie-down.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sharing this because it might be of use to some who still haunt the place, there's a Twitter list of people worth keeping an eye on for US election matters which I was sent some years ago

Up to you how useful it is, and obviously a lot of non-politics stuff on there, but some of it is useful

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH

By 6 January 2021, Pelosi writes, “I knew Donald Trump’s mental imbalance. I had seen it up close. His denial and then delays when the Covid pandemic struck, his penchant for repeatedly stomping out of meetings, his foul mouth, his pounding on tables, his temper tantrums, his disrespect for our nation’s patriots, and his total separation from reality and actual events. His repeated, ridiculous insistence that he was the greatest of all time.”
Pelosi also describes getting calls from Trump, often late at night, including one in which she says Trump insisted missile strikes on Syria he had just ordered were Barack Obama’s fault, eventually prompting Pelosi to tell him: “It’s midnight. I think you should go to sleep.”

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Agreed - it's too early to say it's done and dusted - but his campaign at present looks much more unstable and volatile than hers.

Pete Buttigieg speaks really, really well. I don't know enough about the alternatives but black woman with white man feels like it fits well in terms of Democrats wanting to be "the Big party" of the nation.
It wasn't for some people on this thread straight after the debate and then again when Biden stepped down...

:lolol:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
Obama held off appointing to the Supreme Court just before his term came to an end - as is the convention.

Trump did exactly the opposite.

Which party has stacked the Supreme Court?
Trump followed the rules, Ginsburg had ample time to step down from her position at her age during the Obama regime.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here