• I will not mourn but show respect

Votes: 46 19.8%
  • I will enjoy the day off and play golf or something

Votes: 38 16.4%
  • I will have a party as I hated her

Votes: 96 41.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Anything wrong with it operating as a viable business? Why should it operate at a loss? Why is it operating at a loss? Overstaffing? Excessive pay demands of unions?

QUOTE]

Why do you think they were nationalised inthe first place.

Becasuse no-one could make money out of running a private railway company.

If they had not have been nationalised they would all have gone bankrupt in 1946.

Well seeing as who is talking we all know now that it is has got to be true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am surprised he didn't talk about the in flight steak and kidney pies being subsidised as well!

Is there no subject that this man talks any sense on?

It has nothing to do with who is saying it-the fact is that airlines do not pay tax on their fuel and therefore it is as good as a subsidy.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Anything wrong with it operating as a viable business? Why should it operate at a loss? Why is it operating at a loss? Overstaffing? Excessive pay demands of unions?

QUOTE]

Why do you think they were nationalised inthe first place.

Becasuse no-one could make money out of running a private railway company.

If they had not have been nationalised they would all have gone bankrupt in 1946.

They were nationalised in 1946 because the labour party won the election in 1945 with a manifesto to nationalise numerous industries.

It was not an economic decision. It was a political one.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Excessive pay demands? overstaffed? do me a favour.

Japanese trains and services are far better for starters.

Do you ever go to continental Europe by plane? How much does your plane ticket cost and why do you think the prices are so low? Not just in real terms but in actual terms the prices are lower than 30 years ago. Why is this?

Actually I do both train and plane, like for like, the services of the French, Danish, Swedish railway systems cannot be beaten by a like for like airline.

I know why people fly, especially if you are outside LOndon. But with the cheap airlines people are putting price before service, whilst with the above railway systems, you get comfort, price and service. They are just good. Then most things are good inSweden and Denmark because people expect good services.

Are Japanese trains better, do they provide family only departments, creches, play rooms, such an extensive system and fast system as well as the SNCF and local network? At a good price. If it does, well done. The French system will only be the second best inthe world.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
It has nothing to do with who is saying it-the fact is that airlines do not pay tax on their fuel and therefore it is as good as a subsidy.

I notice it is the British government and I presume therefore they are subsidising British airlines. Eventhough I still reserve my right to dis-believe a single word that comes out this Baker's mouth!

Why is it then that other airlines in the ULTRA COMPETITIVE airline industry from other countries, such as RyanAir also offer such cheap flights?

On a simliar vain why have holidays to almost everywhere come down in price? Continental Europe, N America, SE Asia, Australasia? Why do you think this is? Lot's more travel agents, now, than Thomas Cook maybe????? Don't tell me Baker says that the government is subsidising all those internet travel agents that have sprung up in the last 10 years in this ultra competitive market.

Let's leave the travel industry what about electrical goods? Washing Machines, Dishwashers, TV's, DVD's, Tumble Dryers, Fridges/Freezers have all come down in price in real (and quite often in actual terms) because there is incredible competition in this industry.

Let's leave the travel industry what about electrical goods? Washing Machines, Dishwashers, TV's, DVD's, Tumble Dryers, Fridges/Freezers have all come down in price in real (and quite often in actual terms) because there is incredible competition in this industry.

Ah-that great British success story-electrical goods manufacturing.

I don't suppose the pricing has anything to do with the people assembling these goods are getting paid a pittance? I understand now-it's all to do with incredible competition.

I notice it is the British government and I presume therefore they are subsidising British airlines. Eventhough I still reserve my right to dis-believe a single word that comes out this Baker's mouth!

Why is it then that other airlines in the ULTRA COMPETITIVE airline industry from other countries, such as RyanAir also offer such cheap flights?

On a simliar vain why have holidays to almost everywhere come down in price? Continental Europe, N America, SE Asia, Australasia? Why do you think this is? Lot's more travel agents, now, than Thomas Cook maybe????? Don't tell me Baker says that the government is subsidising all those internet travel agents that have sprung up in the last 10 years in this ultra competitive market.

You're right.

Plus relatively your chinese,indian, thai, burmese worker is getting a pittance of the salary a british worker would have got when our industry dominated the world.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Ah-that great British success story-electrical goods manufacturing.

I don't suppose the pricing has anything to do with the people assembling these goods are getting paid a pittance? I understand now-it's all to do with incredible competition.

I notice you do not answer this point?

Why do you think your holidays abroad so cheap now?

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
You're right.

Plus relatively your chinese,indian, thai, burmese worker is getting a pittance of the salary a british worker would have got when our industry dominated the world.

Where does the chinese, Indian, Thai, Burmese worker come into it when you book a package holiday to continental Europe?

Where does the chinese, Indian, Thai, Burmese worker come into it when you book a package holiday to continental Europe?

yOUR RIGHT:lolol:

But accomadation in Italy is really expensive! Is that due to competition or high taxes and rates? In Bulgaria it is cheap, is that mainly due to low wages, low land values.?

I notice you do not answer this point?

Why do you think your holidays abroad so cheap now?

I've just come back from 2 weeks in Cyprus and it was far from cheap. In fact, in real terms it was significantly higher than 2 years ago and no doubt if the airline paid tax on their fuel then the cost would have soared even more. The staff in the hotel are all poorly paid and if they weren't the costs would go up massively.

Governments of most tourist destination countries subsidise their airlines in order to make it affordable for people to visit their countries and the major carriers of most countries have some form of subsidy or other. The possible exception being the US and a quick look at the state of their airline industry suggests that despite the competition, most US airlines are on the brink of bankruptcy and there is usually at least one in Chapter 11.

There is no doubt that competition initially led to prices being affordable but without subsidies of one form or another the prices alone would not be able to support the airlines.

EasyJet and RyanAir? A barbaric free for all for seats (unless you pay extra for speed boarding which still doesn't allocate you a seat), instant coffee at £1.80 a cup, crap sandwiches at £3.50 each, small kiddy size Pringles for £1.50, charges for checked bags but you're only allowed one even if in total they weigh less than 20Kg. Second bag will be extra please. That is how they offer cheap flights-they charge you for everything (in addition to the fuel tax not being charged) and treat you like shit.

When you get to destinations such as Thailand, Vietnam, Bali, etc., the staff at most hotels earn about a dollar a day-although I'm sure that has nothing to do with keeping prices down.

They were nationalised in 1946 because the labour party won the election in 1945 with a manifesto to nationalise numerous industries.

It was not an economic decision. It was a political one.
The real "political" decision at the time was decision of the shareholders to pull out of railway ownership if the government was no longer prepared to pay THEM to keep the system going.

Fortunately, Attlee called their bluff and pushed them out of the picture. Result: the survival of the railways in Britain.

Anything wrong with it operating as a viable business? Why should it operate at a loss? Why is it operating at a loss?
You'll be arguing next that the National Health Service should operate without public funding.

It's a perfectly viable proposition - provided society could cope with most people not being able to afford expensive geriatric care and other vital, but costly, services and procedures that keep us alive.

Public services "operate at a loss" because they are intrinsically valuable.

Removing subsidies from the rail network would shut down huge parts of the network (including ALL the routes that go into London).

And that would mean no-one could get to work in London. And what would that do for the UK economy?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And hugely subsidised by the State to pay for the cheaper fares.

I am not disputing this....this is why they work well. Most countries see their rail system as part of the social infrastructure and subsidise it accordingly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So the choice of one is better for you than the choice of many.

You are in a minority of one there!

....no. I was simply pointing out that competition doesnt always result in the best deal for the customer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You just pluck out companies names.

Yet lets talk about the airline industry. How many different airline industries are there in the UK? Why do you think you can travel to continental Europe on a plane for £49 for example, because Ryanair, Easyjet etc. etc are competing for your and all of our business. If there was one state owned airline, why can't it not charge £349 for it. You have nowhere else to go.

Also if you don't like a particular company like BA, for whatever reason, you don't have to use them.

Again, I was simply pointing out that competition doesnt always result in the best deal for the customer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

If it is always subsidised by the taxpayers why does it need to change any of this?

Do you think that central government should stop paying for things which cant pay their own way then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here