Votes: 38 16.4%
  • I will have a party as I hated her

Votes: 96 41.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Its just a nice day off to watch the reds getting the shit kicked out of em in Traphalgar Square by Combat 18 and the Met.

Dandyman may get his blood splattered mush on the front of the Daily Mail as he gets dragged away by plod, would be maggies final victory.

Not joking either, either not many will turn up and it will be a laughing stock or if a lot do there will be trouble.

Remember your Read it here first.:)

She gave the working man wealth by allowing them to purchase their council house and whilst some overstretched themselves and lost out a vast majority profited by this and gained a foot on the financial and housing ladder.

And leaving us in the shit situation now if not having enough council houses for the low earners in society, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe she prevented councils from spending the money raised on council house sales on new coiuncil housing.
What she should have done is offered preferential mortgage deals to council house tenants so that they could have got on the private housing ladder, thereby leaving the council houses to people on low wages.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
interesting but i still think now after all the dithering that the lloyds way , even with the loan at competitve rates would have been the better route to take
It is interesting, because it would appear the government simply took the advice of the chairman of the B of E and vetoed Lloyds from taking over the Northern Rock debts.

You may disagree with their decision, but I'd have to say their handling of the Northern Rock crisis is not a good example of government incompetence.

interesting but i still think now after all the dithering that the lloyds way , even with the loan at competitve rates would have been the better route to take

Maybe it would have led to a better outcome for the taxpayer but that's hindsite. I doubt that any politician would be brave (or foolhardy) enough to loan £30B of public money to finance one private company purchasing another when the BoE has advised against.

labour supporters like to peddle the lie that people are pissed off with them due to current economic conditions,which is utter bollocks , as far as economic downturns go we aint seen nothing yet, people are pissed off with labour because of the dire state of the nhs, crime , immigration, poor public transport, a sub standard education system and being taxed up to the f***ing eyeballs only for them to spunk it up the wall, thats why were pissed off with them.

Why do you think our public transport system is so poor? Deregulation of the buses by the Tories and privatisation of the railways, by guess who? The Tories!

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
And leaving us in the shit situation now if not having enough council houses for the low earners in society, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe she prevented councils from spending the money raised on council house sales on new coiuncil housing.
What she should have done is offered preferential mortgage deals to council house tenants so that they could have got on the private housing ladder, thereby leaving the council houses to people on low wages.
to a certain extent thats right , some of the ones we have got go to the wrong f***ing people.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Why do you think our public transport system is so poor? Deregulation of the buses by the Tories and privatisation of the railways, by guess who? The Tories!
i would agree with you on that , but they have had 11 f***ing years to sort it out, they cant keep blaming the tories, but would agree with you that the tories bothed the privatisation of the railways.also i think the other points i raised are enough unless you would like to blame them on the tories ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

What got me about that is that a lot of people went on to sell their ex council houses for a very tidy profit. I can see pros and cons with Thatcher but as a person I couldn't stand her, especially that disgusting patronising way she spoke to people. I won't celebrate her passing but neither will I mourn for her.

A state funeral ? Over her dead body !

i would agree with you on that , but they have had 11 f***ing years to sort it out, they cant keep blaming the tories, but would agree with you that the tories bothed the privatisation of the railways.also i think the other points i raised are enough unless you would like to blame them on the tories ?

Yes you are correct they have had eleven years to sort out public transport and we are still giving massive amounts of public money to private train companies!! I should have all been nationalised again and then a long term plan for expansion should have been put in place, there has been some investment in the railways, but IMHO not enough.

The NHS is a victim of it's own succes now and needs phenomal amounts of money to run, but I don't think the Tories did it any favours with the introduction of market forces in the NHS in the early 90's.

I can't really quote on crime and the education system as I have little knowledge of it.

For immigration I think the Tories would have done exactly the same as New Labour, expect the UK Border Agency to do far more work on fewer resources, thereby having problems with illegal immigration. I also think that the Tories would have sanctioned all the immigrants from Eastern Europe as it would be good for business as Mr Brown also said.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There has been a massive investment in educashun. I am biased as I am a beneficiary of it. The money has not always been well spent, but that is as much, if not more to do with, the interference of administrators and bureacrats as much as politicians.

The intention is in the main laudable, although the delivery is somewhat hit and miss, but will always be the case when you are dealing with millions of people and billions of pounds. There are still too many shit teachers and lecturers, but unless there are better people knocking at the door to replace the shit ones, then that particular issue will not be resolved.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Churchill too is feted by history, in a manner that belies the fact that just months after the end of WWII, the first time the people actually had the opportunity to vote, they did so OVERWHELMINGLY against him.

He lost to Attlee in July 1945 by 145 seats.
surely you cant comment on that ? you werent even born , you should stick to what you know !

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
surely you cant comment on that ? you werent even born , you should stick to what you know !

There is a huge difference between STATING FACTS about things that happened outside of your direct experience, and CASTING OPINIONS about things of which you know little, n'est pas?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
There aren't many council houses left now are there?

Could we afford them? It seems that we struggle to subsidise the NHS etc. without having the onus of propping up council houses and the coal industry etc. etc. despite the fact we are paying record levels of taxation.

Churchill too is feted by history, in a manner that belies the fact that just months after the end of WWII, the first time the people actually had the opportunity to vote, they did so OVERWHELMINGLY against him.

He lost to Attlee in July 1945 by 145 seats.

and was re-elected in 1951 aged 77 with an overall majority of 17

I mean Blair was PM for nearly the same amount of time but what do you think we will be talking about changes he made to everyones life 20 years on? I mean real changes, I cannot think of a single one. His legacy will be Iraq....anything else?:shrug:

QUOTE]

This the Labour PArty's top 50........ (number 50 is a bit thin I think)

Our top 50 achievements since being elected in 1997

1. Longest period of sustained low inflation since the 60s.

2. Low mortgage rates.

3. Introduced the National Minimum Wage and raised it to £5.52.

4. Over 14,000 more police in England and Wales.

5. Cut overall crime by 32 per cent.

6. Record levels of literacy and numeracy in schools.

7. Young people achieving some of the best ever results at 14, 16, and 18.

8. Funding for every pupil in England has doubled.

9. Employment is at its highest level ever.

10. Written off up to 100 per cent of debt owed by poorest countries.

11. 85,000 more nurses.

12. 32,000 more doctors.

13. Brought back matrons to hospital wards.

14. Devolved power to the Scottish Parliament.

15. Devolved power to the Welsh Assembly.

16. Dads now get paternity leave of 2 weeks for the first time.

17. NHS Direct offering free convenient patient advice.

18. Gift aid was worth £828 million to charities last year.

19. Restored city-wide government to London.

20. Record number of students in higher education.

21. Child benefit up 26 per cent since 1997.

22. Delivered 2,200 Sure Start Children’s Centres.

23. Introduced the Equality and Human Rights Commission.

24. £200 winter fuel payment to pensioners & up to £300 for over-80s.

25. On course to exceed our Kyoto target for reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

26. Restored devolved government to Northern Ireland.

27. Over 36,000 more teachers in England and 274,000 more support staff and teaching assistants.

28. All full time workers now have a right to 24 days paid holiday.

29. A million pensioners lifted out of poverty.

30. 600,000 children lifted out of relative poverty.

31. Introduced child tax credit giving more money to parents.

32. Scrapped Section 28 and introduced Civil Partnerships.

33. Brought over 1 million social homes up to standard.

34. Inpatient waiting lists down by over half a million since 1997.

35. Banned fox hunting.

36. Cleanest rivers, beaches, drinking water and air since before the industrial revolution.

37. Free TV licences for over-75s.

38. Banned fur farming and the testing of cosmetics on animals.

39. Free breast cancer screening for all women aged between 50-70.

40. Free off peak local bus travel for over-60s.

41. New Deal - helped over 1.8 million people into work.

42. Over 3 million child trust funds have been started.

43. Free eye test for over 60s.

44. More than doubled the number of apprenticeships.

45. Free entry to national museums and galleries.

46. Overseas aid budget more than doubled.

47. Heart disease deaths down by 150,000 and cancer deaths down by 50,000.

48. Cut long-term youth unemployment by 75 per cent.

49. Free nursery places for every three and four-year-olds.

50. Free fruit for most four to six-year-olds at school.

Tell us what you think

Buttinhams

Be seeing you!
Apr 24, 2008
Surely Michael Foot will be the next of our former beloved PM's to buy the farm! We could always chuck him in the back of a skip lorry, and line the route on his way to the tip.

Could we afford them? It seems that we struggle to subsidise the NHS etc. without having the onus of propping up council houses and the coal industry etc. etc. despite the fact we are paying record levels of taxation.

If you don't have wars going on in two foreign countries, you may be able to afford the things you mention?!!
The other thing that I mentioned is that the money gained from the sale of council houses is not allowed to be used to build new council/social housing. I'm not sure if I am correct on this, does anybody know about this?

Interesting article:

BBC ON THIS DAY | 20 | 1979: Council tenants will have 'right to buy'

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
and was re-elected in 1951 aged 77 with an overall majority of 17

Absolutely. Doesn't alter the fact though, that he was spanked, the first time he went to the polls, in an election the Tories were expected to walk away with. I have no issue with Churchill, my point was simply to highlight the revisionist nature of the present day views of his political ability.

He is often referred to as a 'great PM'. I think it would be more accurate to refer to him as a 'great Commander-in-chief' who turned out to be a bit of a rubbish PM, once peacetime rolled around and there was a country to rebuild.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here