Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thatcher T-Shirts Sold in Brighton...

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Thing is, she has already enabled us to dance on the grave of the whole trade union movement! Even "New" Labour have distanced themselves from the scum.

That remark is so far beneath contempt that it should emerge in New Zealand.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
A sad insight into the TUC thinking these days, way out of touch with reality of work and what happens these days.

Probably also why so many chose not to join a union these days as well.

If you read the article from the telegraph, to which there is a Link above, you will see that Brendan Barber had condemned the sale of the T-Shirts, as had Ed Miliband. Anybody who thinks that anything like this could be sanctioned by any mainstream political figures are themselves a bit deluded. I have been to the Tolpuddle festival a number of times in recent years. There it is clear that the vast majority of people are eminently sensible and there would continue to be a relatively small number of extremistswho will boo the occasional speaker - the odd minister, when labour were inn power, with whom they disagreed.

And I dare say such people grace the numbers of each political party.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I agree that they background picture has not been thought through, and the punctuation is bad.
But, the message is valid. Unless you want to live in a censored society.

Fact remains, Thatcher f***ed up everything for a whole generation and beyond.

And a fact that she was voted into power and was an enormously respected leader of our country.

She actually bought many people out of poverty by selling council houses and privatising industries like BT - imagine if they were still government owned, we would have had an Olympic disaster of epic proportions.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Take a look at our thriving car industry, not the Trade Unions in the shape of the likes of Red Robbo are no more. Ok, it may no linger be British owned, thanks to the unions, but at least lots of people have good jobs within it.

Excellent point. The car industry is foreign-owned, the power companies are foreign-owned, the railways, in many cases, are owned by the nationalised rail companies of other countries ... well done Thatcher. You certainly did well to take Britain out of the hands of the evil unions and sell it to, er, rich people from other countries.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Quite the opposite. Outside the bubble of the south east you'll find the majority of country would happily raise a glass to her demise. And a fair few within the bubble too.
Maybe there should be a vote as to whether she was good for the country or not - oh hang on, there was. The people around the country voted for her to get into government, and then they voted again for her to stay there, and then they did it again. So clearly the majority of people think she did a good job for the country.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Outside the bubble of the south east you'll find the majority of country would happily raise a glass to her demise. And a fair few within the bubble too.

Shame that all those people, who seem to be about 85% of the country, couldn't mobilise enough to stop her getting in a 2nd time (Con: 389 seats, Lab: 209 seats).

Or a 3rd, come to that (Con: 376 seats, Lab: 229 seats).

The fact is, nomatter how much the rabid frothing-mouthed loony lefts like to pretend otherwise, Thatcher and her Conservative government were far from universally unpopular. I can understand it suits your Jackanory version of the 80s to say she was, but you are very, very wrong.

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
Maybe there should be a vote as to whether she was good for the country or not - oh hang on, there was. The people around the country voted for her to get into government, and then they voted again for her to stay there, and then they did it again. So clearly the majority of people think she did a good job for the country.

Do you honestly think she would have been re-elected if the Argies hadn't invaded the Falklands?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Actually, most people voted for parties other than hers in 1979, 1983 and 1987, so it's bit of a leap to say the majority of people think she did a good job.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Do you honestly think she would have been re-elected if the Argies hadn't invaded the Falklands?

Didn't she destroy 85% of the country? Why would any of those 85% vote for her? I wouldn't if I'd been destroyed.

Jackanory, tell us a story.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Shame that all those people, who seem to be about 85% of the country, couldn't mobilise enough to stop her getting in a 2nd time (Con: 389 seats, Lab: 209 seats).

Or a 3rd, come to that (Con: 376 seats, Lab: 229 seats).

The fact is, nomatter how much the rabid frothing-mouthed loony lefts like to pretend otherwise, Thatcher and her Conservative government were far from universally unpopular. I can understand it suits your Jackanory version of the 80s to say she was, but you are very, very wrong.

Nailed it there Bozza. I find all this " dancing on her grave " incredible sick. She is not Hitler or Bin Laden she was a democratically elected PM. I also think people still blaming her 20 odd years after she left for problems are taking the piss. The T Shirt is an abomination. It is just f***ed up imo.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Shit design for the T-shirt, though. No sense of typography, colour, grammar... awful.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
And do you think anyone else would have stood up to the Argies like her govt did?

It was right in principle but the Bel Grano incident was just not right. The thing is, in war rational decisions are not made. The USA bombed the f*** out of Iraqi troops leaving Kuwait and slaughtered hundreds as they realised the game was up. No one in war comes out a winner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here