Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Thank you Southgate, and goodbye

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Southgate has been our best manager in 25 years. He's got the players playing for each other and we've progressed. But there's nothing more he can offer and it's time for him to go.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
The big problem is, and has always been for England, getting the right manager in.

Southgate is a crap manager. Previous managers have also been crap and/or ageing foreign managers who don't really give a f*** about England and just enjoying the good money for not doing a lot.

I genuinely think Potter should be given the job. He's English - he's young enough to care... and he's a considerably better manager than the likes of Southgate/McClaren.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Potter time?
possession football, try to work the ball through the final 3rd, but fail when the opposition competently defend. goals come from counter attacks where the skills and pace of the assembled players can take advantage of the oppositions weakness.

wait, is that Southgate or Potter?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Southgate: "Look, we've competed to the very end of the Final..."

Enough.
Enough already.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The problem with Southgate is that he cannot use these "stars" to the maximum of their potential.
I agree to an extent but these players have pre season, daily training, matches, etc with a group of teammates and coaching team and have been allowed to develop in a unit. They are surrounded by some of the best players in the world at their clubs.

Then they are dropped into the England set up every few months for a week or so and are expected to perform at the same level. What must Stones and Walker think when they see Pickford lumping the ball forward from the KO, or Saka when he looks up to cross and sees Kane ambling towards the edge of the penalty area?

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
England manager Gareth Southgate, speaking to ITV, is asked about his future: "I don’t think now is a good time to make a decision like that. I need to talk to the right people. It’s not for now."

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
England manager Gareth Southgate, speaking to ITV, is asked about his future: "I don’t think now is a good time to make a decision like that. I need to talk to the right people. It’s not for now."
I will not watch another England game as long as this guy is in charge. I am pretty certain he’ll be gone very shortly with back slapping and sycophantic congratulations for the phenomenal job he has done though.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I will not watch another England game as long as this guy is in charge. I am pretty certain he’ll be gone very shortly with back slapping and sycophantic congratulations for the phenomenal job he has done though.
I'm not convinced. Apparently the FA wanted him to stay regardless of the result tonight.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
f*** off and take Kane with you. C U N T.

He was always a 'coach' at best. Never, ever a manager.
People say some quite extraordinary things when they're disappointed. He's really not a c.nt is he? He's done his best and massively improved the national side from what overpaid, overrated people previously did. Ultimately, he's just not good enough at the very highest level.

As for Kane, he always flatters to deceive imo, but you can't argue with his goal scoring record so I can understand why someone as conservative as Southgate decides to stick with him even if not fully fit. He doesn't have the know how to cope without him.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The problem with Southgate is that he cannot use these "stars" to the maximum of their potential.
Exactly- tries to fit round pegs into square holes.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Taken us as far as he can go, but England need a new manager who can take this team further. Tactically we’re a joke of a team and need change.
I don't know why this is, but you are right. And we always have been.

England have been tactically shite under Robson (until he stumbled on Beardsley), Taylor, Hodgson, Venables, Capello and Eriksson. We have always looked less than the sum of our parts, and the only difference with Southgate is that we have reached a World Cup semi and two Euro finals under him.
It's a head scratcher

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I genuinely think Potter should be given the job.

I'd also be happy with Potter getting a chance.

He's English - he's young enough to care... and he's a considerably better manager than the likes of Southgate/McClaren.

Southgate hasn't quite been good enough, but to put him in the same sentence as the wolly with the brolly is unnecessarily offensive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here