Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Thank you Southgate, and goodbye

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Southgate has been our best manager in 25 years. He's got the players playing for each other and we've progressed. But there's nothing more he can offer and it's time for him to go.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I agree with a lot of the comments on this thread concerning what Southgate lacks but you have to look at the realistic alternatives if he goes , and whether they would be an improvement on him and I'm not sure they will be.

I also think the criticism that he hasn't got the best out of certain "superstar" players is a bit unfair. I don't think Bellingham, Foden , Saka etc are as good as we think. If you compare the squad he had this tournament to what Sven had in 2004 with the "Golden Generation" of Owen, Rooney, Beckham, Scholes , Ashley Cole , Gerrard , Lampard etc (which went out in the Quarter Finals) then he has far exceeded that with lesser talents.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I agree with a lot of the comments on this thread concerning what Southgate lacks but you have to look at the realistic alternatives if he goes , and whether they would be an improvement on him and I'm not sure they will be.

I also think the criticism that he hasn't got the best out of certain "superstar" players is a bit unfair. I don't think Bellingham, Foden , Saka etc are as good as we think. If you compare the squad he had this tournament to what Sven had in 2004 with the "Golden Generation" of Owen, Rooney, Beckham, Scholes , Ashley Cole , Gerrard , Lampard etc (which went out in the Quarter Finals) then he has far exceeded that with lesser talents.
I'm not sure what more Bellingham could have done to make you think he's right up there with the best? OK, he's still young, so only time will tell us for sure, BUT...
He was almost universally lauded at Dortmund to get his move to Madrid and since then has torn it up in Spain with 23 goals in 43 games from midfield!
I'm genuinely interested to know what it is that makes you think he's overrated.

Last edited:

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I'm not sure what more Bellingham could have done to make you think he's right up there with the best? OK, he's still young, so only time will tell us for sure, BUT...
He was almost universally lauded at Dortmund to get his move to Madrid and since then has torn up in Spain with 23 goals in 43 games from midfield!
I'm genuinely interested to know what it is that makes you think he's overrated.
Well he "disappeared" in the final (as did most of our lauded players). Truly great players carry others along to winning things in the tough games- I really hope he becomes like that. He just looked knackered most of the time and spent a lot of the game rolling on the floor feigning injury. Apart from the England games I don't get to see him and I was disappointed in his tournament and thought he was going to be better than I saw.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Well he "disappeared" in the final (as did most of our lauded players). Truly great players carry others along to winning things in the tough games- I really hope he becomes like that. He just looked knackered most of the time and spent a lot of the game rolling on the floor feigning injury. Apart from the England games I don't get to see him and I was disappointed in his tournament and thought he was going to be better than I saw.
Fair enough. If you don't follow La Liga you wouldn't have seen how good he has been.

I don't think he had a great tournament (certainly not living up to the hype), but don't let a handful of games when he's knackered and in a dysfunctional team set your opinion. He's going to be quality for England under a better manager. (the rolling around needs to stop though)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here