Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Test cricket. England-v-Pakistan.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Gutless, IMO. Sometimes just unwilling to grind out the first hour and play his way into an innings.

Yep, some pitches you just have to accept you are not going to ever get fully on top of the bowler, and will only have the odd bad ball to go after. He doesn't ever seem to realise this, and he needs to as otherwise his position in this series is better off being taken up by a 2nd spinner.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just checked Cricinfo and KP still seems to have a career average of 49 in Tests. Looking back over the scores though there have been some very good knocks but equally, lots of cack too. He is becoming a shit or bust player and maybe he needs to be dropped from the list to get some runs in county cricket ?

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Its a classic KP where he is in no form at the moment so he strives harder to be more aggressive instead of being relaxed and let the runs take care of themselves. No runs in the warm up games and no runs in the first 2 innings. Won't be dropped though. He continues to polarise opinion but when he plays shots like today is it any wonder?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Just checked Cricinfo and KP still seems to have a career average of 49 in Tests. Looking back over the scores though there have been some very good knocks but equally, lots of cack too. He is becoming a shit or bust player and maybe he needs to be dropped from the list to get some runs in county cricket ?

Me too - and not sure I agree with you ^^^^^^ see above

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not sure that you're exactly right: "In England's six Tests previous to this one, Pietersen's scores were 2, 72, 85, 202*, 1, 29, 63, 63 and 175. That's 692 runs at an average of 86.50."
I did say "sometimes". test averages completely mask the situation the batsman finds himself in. I mean, if you come in with the score at 300/1 and the match heading for a draw, a knock of 50* is not anything like as valuable as it would be in precisely the situation he found himself in today.

And more anecdotealy, if I told you that a player had come in at 25/2 - 146 behind on the first innings - and skied his eighth ball to the fielder standing still on the boundary, which England batsman would you have assumed I was talking about?

Exactly.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Gutless, IMO. Sometimes just unwilling to grind out the first hour and play his way into an innings.

Isn't that what he tried to do in the first innings and people gave him grief for?

Jul 20, 2003
I did say "sometimes". test averages completely mask the situation the batsman finds himself in. I mean, if you come in with the score at 300/1 and the match heading for a draw, a knock of 50* is not anything like as valuable as it would be in precisely the situation he found himself in today.

And more anecdotealy, if I told you that a player had come in at 25/2 - 146 behind on the first innings - and skied his eighth ball to the fielder standing still on the boundary, which England batsman would you have assumed I was talking about?

Exactly.

In fairness the "25/2" bit would be quite a clue but I get your point ENTIRELY

GRRR

oh and Bell's out as well, wood-f***ing-stock

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
At times ALL batsmen play a stupid shot and get out cheaply but, KP seems to have the knack of doing it when we need players to dig in .. if we are 286 -2 and he does it fair enough. The perception he has is that his way is always right and he should not be questioned because " Thats the way I play " ..... Graeme Hick had dogs abuse for years about his ability not transferring to Test Cricket but, quite often he could dig in to grind out an innings.

Now when KP comes out to bat I always fear the worst

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Vic Marks did (and I like his writing a lot) and a few from TMS as well.
That seems ridiculous to me, Keaton. Any test match batsman should have the ability and application to dig in when the situation demands. The fact that Pietersen can't be relied upon to do this is why he is merely a very good test batsman as opposed to a great one. I honestly think he could be one of the all time greats if he was more reliable in this way.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not sure that you're exactly right: "In England's six Tests previous to this one, Pietersen's scores were 2, 72, 85, 202*, 1, 29, 63, 63 and 175. That's 692 runs at an average of 86.50."

In context though, they were achieved with the team going very well. His stats are impressive in isolation, but when you need to stay in a match, what kind of shot was that? Bell and Cook, fair enough, got decent balls, by KP's was another give away and the stats don't show you that.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Vic Marks did (and I like his writing a lot) and a few from TMS as well.

There is a difference between being positive after you've been at the crease for a good few overs (what VM & TMS were saying after the first innings), and trying what KP did after 8 balls and 5mins at the crease in the 2nd.

KP in this instance has gone from one extreme to the other. His natural instinct should be to smack the bad ball out of the park, however that should be a 'bad' ball. Today, he's hit only his 8th ball off the bowling of Gul who had his line spot on, which wasn't that bad a delivery, straight down mid wickets throat. Schoolboy error.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Trott showing the rest of the top order how its done, joke from the other top 4. Not the sort of thing you expect from the number 1 team.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Trott showing the rest of the top order how its done, joke from the other top 4. Not the sort of thing you expect from the number 1 team.
To be fair, the first two got good balls.

Morgan is playing like a left handed Collingwood, which is a very, very good thing at this stage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here