Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Test cricket. England-v-Pakistan.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
42-3 now. Time for Pietersen to step up

Trip up more like, mind you, Ajmal has some prize scalps there today on the scorecard.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Broad out sweeping. Well done, Stuart. Big tall man capable of getting forward and covering up spin is SWEEPING.

Excellent.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Now since I've been watching, Swann and Prior have been in no difficulty whatsoever.

Which worries me. How the f*** are we seven wickets down?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't understand why Prior took a single off the second ball of the over, exposing Tremlett who promptly got done lbw by the fourth ball. Surely the single is only 4th ball onwards? I think Matt has too much faith in his partner.

He'll no doubt cut loose a bit now we're 9 down.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Interesting stat from Sky - England haven't won a series in the sub-continent in the last 10 years, other than vs Bangladesh. It's the sort of stat a team ranked World No. 1 should be putting right.

Jul 20, 2003
Boycott on TMS. You can almost hear the boner he gets when there's an opportunity to berate England's batsmen

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't understand why Prior took a single off the second ball of the over, exposing Tremlett who promptly got done lbw by the fourth ball. Surely the single is only 4th ball onwards? I think Matt has too much faith in his partner.

He's done it again, single off the 1st ball of the over, Anderson out with the 3rd ball. FFS!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

He'll no doubt cut loose a bit now we're 9 down.

You've still got to score runs. Defending three balls an over then looking for a single is pretty dangerous in itself. What if you don't get the single? What if you are desperate for it last ball and get yourself out? Test numbers 10s aren't as shit as they were.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Thought they'd struggle here (and in Sri Lanka), of England's batsmen I only really fancy Pietersen & Morgan against top class spinners and they can lack the patience to build big innings on slow wickets. Ajmal bowled well though, there wasn't even that much turn. There is currently a bit of debate over whether he is a chucker I understand.

I think England's refusal to adapt the 7 batsmen/ 4 bowlers could be made to look silly. Unless you are the West Indies of the 70's & 80's you have to play 2 spinners in the sub continent. England may well be left to bat close to 2 days for a draw. Possible echoes of their last test series defeat in the West Indies where 1 batting nightmare meant they lost a turgid series 1-0.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You've still got to score runs. Defending three balls an over then looking for a single is pretty dangerous in itself. What if you don't get the single? What if you are desperate for it last ball and get yourself out? Test numbers 10s aren't as shit as they were.

I have to disagree with you there Chappers. One day cricket has all but killed any inclination for a batsman to "hang around", and if our top order couldn't handle Ajmal then the chances of Anderson surviving 5 balls in a row are miniscule.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
There is currently a bit of debate over whether he is a chucker I understand.

I think England's refusal to adapt the 7 batsmen/ 4 bowlers could be made to look silly. Unless you are the West Indies of the 70's & 80's you have to play 2 spinners in the sub continent. .

Yep, should have been two spinners here. Bopara is also an option in for Morgan to add an arm to the bowling unit then.

Ajmal always wears long sleeves, hence the chucker debate.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
NSC's very own Geoffrey Boycott.
Although the facts here CLEARLY back the point Pavillionaire is making.

However I'd say in Prior's defence that in the overs before we lost those last two wickets, he had clubbed the 5th ball (once for a 4) and then couldn't get the cheeky single to retain the strike, so maybe he switched tactics after that.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm all for critising our top scoring batsmen, it's the English way

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here